Surefire Turbohead Question for 9P

Action

Enlightened
I'm sure that someone on the forum can answer this...

In going through the Surefire catalog, the 6P and the 9P use the same conversion head for LEDs (either the KL3 or the KL5), however for Turboheads, they use different ones (the KT1 for the 6P and the KT2 for the 9P).

What is the difference between the KT1 and the KT2 Turbohead? Is it solely the lamp used? I see that the KT1 uses the N1 lamp and the KT2 uses the N2 lamp, however I want to make sure that there is no subtle difference in terms of fit. Is it possible to get the equivalent of the P91 lamp for the Turbohead?

It seems odd that there is not a high output bulb for the Turbohead...

Action

Enlightened
Has anyone tried to take the bulb assembly from the P91 and use it in the KT2? Anyone been successful?

Action

Enlightened
I actually e-mailed Surefire to check if the MN16 would fit (before Size15's response). Here is what Surefire said:

Sir,

The MN16 will not fit in the KT and work correctly. If you have any further questions please call us at 800-828-8809. SureFire strives to provide World class customer service to all of our customers.

Does anyone have an MN16 in a KT head? Its not that I don't trust Size15's, but I just want to make sure that Surefire is wrong before I part with the cash...

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
That SF rep needs a little more training or more accurate information. The MN16 works perfectly fine in the KT. :shrug:

frettedfive

Newly Enlightened
Action said:
I actually e-mailed Surefire to check if the MN16 would fit (before Size15's response). Here is what Surefire said:

Sir,

The MN16 will not fit in the KT and work correctly. If you have any further questions please call us at 800-828-8809. SureFire strives to provide World class customer service to all of our customers.

Does anyone have an MN16 in a KT head? Its not that I don't trust Size15's, but I just want to make sure that Surefire is wrong before I part with the cash...
I haven't exactly been impressed with the answers coming from SureFire customer service lately... A few weeks ago, I emailed them and asked if a T series turbo head (3" diameter) would work on a 9P with the adapter and N2 lamp assembly from the KT2 turbo head kit. I was told that the T series head could not be adapted to work on the 9P... which is obviously not true seeing as how Size15's and XenonM3 have both done just that; and have posted pictures.

When it comes to modifying the lights, I would frankly put more stock in what Size15's and other members of this forum say that what comes from SureFire. I love their products, but they don't seem to approve of people making "unauthorized modifications" to their lights by using components (i.e. heads and lamp assemblies) that aren't explicitly designed to work together. By "will not work correctly" they could mean anything from "it will blow up" (unlikely), to "it won't achieve the intended run time (more likely). Folks on this forum have proven the concept of the "SureFire Lego-light" by putting together and using most every conceivable combination of components.

It could be that SureFire is merely saying such things because they don't want you to modify your lowly 9P to be as bright as some of their more costly products. The fact remains that they're in the business of making money, and would likely frown on people hot-rodding their low-end (for SureFire) lights instead of purchasing the more expensive lights to obtain more lumens and run time.

FWIW, I have embarked on a mission to turn my 9P into a "virtual M4" by using an A19 adapter, a turbo head, and one of the lamp assemblies from the M4. I have no doubts that it will work.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Gander_Man said:
I think all are correct, with Surefire talking from an "optimally focused" point of view *S*.
- Russ

That's not correct. The reflector of the "KT" and the Millennium TurboHeads are the same design (shape & surface finish).

The "MN" type TurboHead lamp assemblies may not produce "SureFire perfect" beams when used in the "SRTH" "12PM" and "T" TurboHeads because they have larger (wider) filaments.

The "N" type TurboHead lamp assemblies should not be used in the Millennium models where reliability is essential. This is because the outer spring contact of the "N" type TurboHead lamp assembly is shorter than that of the "MN" type and if compressed under recoil or abuse/hard use can cause intermittent electrical contact.

Al

Action

Enlightened
I'm waiting for it. It should be in my hands in the next couple of days. I expect great things from it. I'm probably going to order the KT2 head with the MN16 bulb soon from via the opticshq.com savings coupon that is available.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my KT2 on my 9P. I only have the N2 lamps, the standard lamp for it. It impressed me when I had a chance to try it out in a mostly dark area. Very good throw.

Action

Enlightened
I got the 9P, I have to say that I'm quite impressed with its performance for size. Given that my incand experience is limited to Mags and other relatively inexpensive lights, the size for its output is very, very nice.

I've been reading a bit about the various mods using SRTH and the KT heads. After thinking about it a while, I think that I would like to get a KT head, an A19 adapter, and use an MN60 bulb. This way I could get the light output of ~200 lumens, have longer throw, and still retain 60 minutes of runtime. Anyone running this currently?

Also, anyone have a favorite source for getting a good deal on the KT head, A19, and MN60?

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
can you put light shaders on a 9p? The surefire site doesnt list the 9p as a compatible light for the shaders.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the idea of a turbo head on my 9p. Currently I have my 9p set up with the p91 lamp. This is really bright at 200 lumen's. Have you guys set up these 9P lights with some sort of overdrive system?

What about creating a driver a la A2 to fit to the 9p to get constant current to the lamp? Is that possible?

With the surefire "Lego" concept the possabilities are seemingly endless/ Cool.
You would thik they would encourage that. Heck they would sell more lamps!!
Yaesumofo

Action

Enlightened
What do you mean by light shaders? Do you mean the filters like the FM35 red filter? The ones that fit are listed on Surefire's 2005 catalog on page 38 and again on page 96.

Now I don't see anything that fits a Turbohead... I would wonder if the FM25 would fit a KT head?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Surefire FM24 beamshaper fits 2.5 inch Turboheads.
FM 23,25, and 26 filters, fit 2.5 inch Turboheads.

Bill