Pentagon PX1 modded to LED

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I bought a Pentagon L2 LED light to see what their entry into these lights was about and I also bought an inexpensive PX1 primarily to see how they integrated a swivel belt clip and tab into their system; something I am personally fond of! :p

Well I have no use for a single CR123 incandescent light and in considering making a new head to host my McR-27L reflector modified to go with a Joker LED, I got to looking at the PX1 and realized it looked to have the room required to host the deep 27 mm reflector. As it turned out, there was a couple custom turned parts and some modification to the profile of the reflector but the PX1 did serve as a host:

mod.jpg

More info on the build, HERE.

It was interesting to compare this light with the L2 and the following are some images and graphs related to the two:

runtimes.jpg

spectrums.jpg

And even a stupid beam shot! :nana:

beam-shots.jpg

Now I have no idea of the bin of Luxeon used in the L2 nor do I have a feel for the electronics or efficiency. Certainly it is an unfair advantage in using a UXK1 LED but heck, the L2 does get twice as many batteries to use! :p

From a couple feet away, I measured the lux of the corona in the middle (axially) from the edge of the spot to the edge of the corona. The P-L2 was 61 lux and the mod was 83 lux. At a distance and in real use, the P-L2's spot seems to be more uniform in intensity and slightly larger with a more noticible drop of into corona whereas the 27L has a tighter spot and feathers out within the spot as well as into the corona with less of a sharp drop. In the beam shots above, the lights are too close to target and the spot is well oversaturated for the camera to see any difference.

In retrospect, I should have made not of the relative radiometric power readings of the two lights as it would seem from the spectrum that the lux as well as flux measurements for the mod would score higher since its "blue fin" is closer to photometric sensitivity optimum than that of the L2.

marcspar

Enlightened
Any chance you'll be selling this one???

I'll take it.....

Marc

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does it appear to have a much brighter corona than the l2 and the same run time - even with half the battery power?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Marc,

I don't know what I am ultimately going to do with this light but I want it for evaluation purposes for a while at least! I will take it along with others up to Ghost Mountain and hopefully get to see how it works in the real dark. It is interesting to contrast with the L2 as I think there are some efficiencies at various levels at play here. In terms of the beam intensity, I think it is clear that the deeper reflector manages more of the light emitted and "paints" the target with more concentrated closer to center. The only fair comparison would be to use the same LED source behind the two reflectors and then take measurements. More to ponder and evaluate as time permits. :eek:

Sway,
Thanks!

stadawg

Newly Enlightened
I would like to do a similar mod to my PX1, can I order just the 27l reflector? If so what is the cost? I search but could not find a price list for the reflectors.

John

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
McGizmo,

Wow, 2500+ lux at 1m is really good for a one cell light and that shows how well is the reflector you have used for this mod. Good job! :thumbsup:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hehe...already got one in my inventory, waiting for the right mod. :nana: :)