Issue with Blockbuster video...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my story:

I been a BB member at my actual location for more than a year now, I have 2 memberships, one for me another one for my wife, I rented a lot on my card and my wife has never rented a single one on her card, two days ago I got a phone call to return some movies, :huh2: That is weird, since it's been several months since I even rented something, I went to BB to check and sure was, there were 2 movies and a Playstation game checked out to my account from my wife's card, My wife has the card with her, and we don't even have a PS2, my kids are too young to even know what a BB is. (4 and 5 YO) They said they were going to check the security videos, don't know what that would prove, but they were going to call back tomorrow to tell me the result of their "investigation".

I have a feeling that they are going to try and stick me with the rent of those movies, and the PS2 game, I really have no intention in paying for something I didn't even see or play, and my wife has not let anyone use her card.

Has this happened to you? What did you do? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
AlexGT

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The videos from the "rental" should exonerate you and your wife. The burden is on them to prove it was one of you.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go in and talk to them in person. Tammy the night manager will be much more receptive to your needs if you are standing right there in front of her. If they try to bill you, call your CC company and tell it the charges are fraudulent. Then get creative by contacting BB corporate, etc. Powernoodle thinks you'll fine. :)

best regards

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Never had that happen. But for a few weeks I did have BB calling my cell phone, telling me that I had to return some videos:huh2: I don't even have a BB card!! And the city was not even close to where I lived. If it kept up I was going to call them and tell them to stop calling me, but the calls eventually stopped.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fresh out of college and hoping to start a career I then spent 2 years working at the local video store :) this sort of thing happens all the time. In our case it was mostly playing the video of peoples kids coming into the store and renting the things that the parents didn't know about and making them go get the late fees from their kids. But it also happened that people just get the number wrong or the lookup brings up the wrong person and the staff doesn't double check.

They are used to this happening and have had to fix it many many times so this is nothing new. Just have a short chat with them, explain about your kids and that the card is in your wifes wallet and has never been used. They really shouldn't give you much trouble if you're pleasant with them. They do also have to deal with a LOT of really annoying and rude people, but we at least would go out of our way to help people that were being nice to us.

I wouldn't worry, the tapes will sort it out.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips, I'll go pay them a visit now and play nice, I'll let you all know how it goes.

AlexGT

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything went out very well, they checked and he told me that the rent was made from a customer lookup on the computer and there was no card scanned, giving me the benefit of the doubt, he canceled all charges. I had him leave a comment on my account to have me show an ID before any rent.

Thanks!
AlexGT

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I quit dealing with the local BB. They tried to bill me for late charges for a movie that was due back by 6pm and I dropped it off 10 minutes before that. They said it wasn't "scanned into their system" until after 6:00 so I was liable. I told them to get screwed. I know a lot of people that have blown them off for similar bogus late fee scams. I think Netflix is the way to go.

attowatt

Enlightened
I had similar problem with BB, so I cancelled acct.

Some times the employee would ask my name and look up and give me address, then I would say "no" out of honesty. and then give them correct address.

Suppose this happened to you and other person said yes(giving them your name/address)

Glad to see it worked out well.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an old thread I know, but I have a problem with Blockbuster now and I'm looking for advice. They say I don't have enough movies in my queue to send any movies to me. There are 60 movies in my queue and 19 are available now. It has been over a week since they mailed anything to me and they continue to charge my card. Their customer service tells me it's my fault that I don't have their recomended 200,000,000 movies in queue. I don't have the patience for this BS. I'm about to quit and if I do I'm disputing my $18 charge on the basis of no serivce rendered.

SkinlessMonkey

Newly Enlightened
Yeah like 5 years ago I used to rent games from Blockbuster at least once month. Then they made my mom pay 80$ (including bogus late fees) for a game that she returned to a different blockbuster by mistake. I rarely use them anymore.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can probably challenge the credit card bill and win--but Block Buster does list the queue minimum as a requirement:

BBO:

Movies are shipped automatically once you have added them to your Queue. There is nothing else for you to do except keep your Queue full of at least 30 Titles that are "Available". You will receive email notifications when we have processed your DVD shipments - one for each disc. Once movies have been shipped to you, your Queue will show the new status along with the expected arrival date.
And the 30 Titles link points to:

We recommend that you always keep at least 30 "Available" titles in your Queue. We want to offer you the highest level of service by shipping DVDs in the order you have requested them, while ensuring that you receive the best value for your membership each month. Whenever a rental slot is open, we review the first listing in your Queue to determine whether or not it can be shipped from the closest distribution center to you. If the title is not available at this center, the system automatically searches for the requested title at other distribution centers throughout our network. If the top Queue selection falls outside of an acceptable shipping window, we will ship a title that falls lower in the queue. This process helps you receive more titles each month, based on anticipated shipping times, and allows you to experience fewer delays.

I am not disagreeing that this sounds like stupid requirement that is just trying to get you into their rental stores (you only have a one in ten chance--at best--to get the DVD you actually want).

Others seem to also be having issues with BBO's queue system too...

Hacking Netflix

-Bill

havand

Enlightened
Blockbuster is horrible. My friend works for them. He said one time a woman had a video game checked out. She was past the return day, so they charged her credit card for the retail price of the game. She then brought the game back and put it into the slot. When the charges didn't get taken off her credit card, she came in and complained. All they told her was 'we're sorry, it's already back in the system.' She wanted a refund and they wouldn't do that. She then said 'fine, if i'm being charged for it, I want the game back.' and the manager wouldn't give it to her. :green:

On a personal note, I don't rent from them. Everytime I do, I feel as though I almost could have bought the d**n thing.

He also said when someone doesn't return a movie, they're supposed to get a new one to replace it, but they don't. Their selection of older movies is horrible at his store because corporate/the warehouse just never sends them the replacements.