New to the forums, a SF L2 is headed my way.

raptorman

Newly Enlightened
Hello to the CPF peeps. I'm an active duty Naval officer in the aviation field, and I've been researching torches that would function in my line of work. I started out with a Scorpion streamlight because it was bright enough to cut through the darkness at night and light up dark sections of the aircraft. Unfortunately, the battery life sucked. After dealing with this problem for a couple months, I moved to the Inova X5 (before it was the X5T). Bad choice. Don't get me wrong, it's a great light, but it didn't have the throw I needed to cut through 20 feet of darkness to check and see if that HF antenna was securely attached to the aircraft, and wouldn't fall of and hit some poor guy on the ground.

I took the X5, and stuck it in the survival vest I wear when flying. It's actually better for that purpose, i.e. longer battery life, and tough enough to take the abuse.

I then went to the Inova XO. I thought I had the sweet spot on LED lights. I still currently use the XO, but today, I ordered a Sure-Fire L2. The XO has a pretty decent throw, and about a 4 hour battery life. Not bad. The bad thing about the XO is that it's slick, and difficult to hold when wearing nomex gloves. Also, if I need that extra battery life to read a chart on the aircraft, I get;
1. Blinded by the bright light.
2. Use up the (4) hour battery life I need for preflight.

The XO fulfilled my general needs, but I always thought that something would be better. I did online research, and "lurked" these forums for awhile. I even took a look at the obvious first choice, the Sure-Fire Aviator. After deciding that I had to have an L.E.D. light due to the weird pressurization problems of my aircraft, and because of murphy's law with bulbs. I know the Aviator is a hybrid, but it still has the xenon type bulb that could give out when you need it.

I finally decided on the Sure-Fire L2 Digital Lumamax. I ordered it today and hope that it's all my research has made it out to be.

Any thoughts?
-raptorman

FredM

Enlightened
Almost my situation. I also started with a SL Scorpion. I went with the L4 though. I think you will be happy with it but may not like the throw of the light. The Scorpion has just spoiled me in that regard.
Let us know what you think and if the throw is OK for your needs when it comes in.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
::Snaps to attention and renders the proper greeting of the day:: SIR!

I had a L2 (bought 3 at once at Camp Pendalton (sp) PX, gave away two as gifts) and sold it. I know ride a Surefire U2.

My thoughts, really nice light, but the low wasn't low enough. Even with dark adapted eyes the Surefire U2 on low (2 lumens) is a little too bright; while the L2 on low (15 lumens) is WAY too bright. The L2 also lacks throw. I tested the L2 (my friends) to my U2 and my U2 throws a tighter beam while the L2 is a wall of light.

I am NOT putting down the L2 but I figure the A2 Aviator will be better suited for your purpose. I don't find LED's to cut through outside condtions as well as incandescents. Even the A2 is designed for pilots. 3 X 5mm LED's for low light applications (think 2 or 3 lumens), and 50 lumens for 60 minutes on high (it is regulated so is bright and white and doesn't dim.) The LED's are also available in 5 colors. I am going/planning to buy three this Christmas season. I want to see which color suits me better (Blue, Green, Red) and give two away as gifts. I have seen the Blue LED color in action on the A2 and find it a nice light.

HAHA, just said the whole Murphy's law. The A2 has a soft start feature so the bulb (MA02) is not exposed to the instant voltage spike lost almost all incandescents. You always got the 3 LEDs as back-ups though or your X5.

Size isn't really a matter for me (not confined to a aircraft cockpit, but a HMMWV.) So I usually have a multiple set-up of lights. Right now I have a Surefire U2 for regular use and a Surefire M6 on the belt and looking into a Surefire weapons light for my rifle.)

Jason

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what type of Naval Aircraft you are flying but I think I would bring the Scorpion as a back up just for those times you are walking out on the wing and you'd like to check something on the tail. The Scorpion will provide you with the throw the L2 lacks in...

Dave

FredM

Enlightened
Dukester said:
I don't know what type of Naval Aircraft you are flying but I think I would bring the Scorpion as a back up just for those times you are walking out on the wing and you'd like to check something on the tail. The Scorpion will provide you with the throw the L2 lacks in...

Dave

Yep. Frankly I love my Scorpion and even having a few higher quality lights in my squad find it extremely useful.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the beam from the L4, it's the same type beam the L2 has. But it is a flood type beam or "wall of light". The Scorpion focuses tighter so it will out through the L2. If you want more through, then an L5 or U2 would work too, but there are a lot of L2 fans here.

raptorman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the inputs. I have a SF G2 as backup in my vest. I've decommissioned the scorpion to my toolbox. My aircraft is a large 4 engine turboprop.

Sad to hear that the gentleman above says the low setting on my L2 will still be too bright. Guess I'll have to purchase a filter also.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Hi Raptor,

Don't buy the filter already IMHO. Get the A2. Its built for people like you. I wouldn't worry about the incand bulb, if the SL Scorpion can do, the A2 is unlikely to have any problems.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
RaptorMan: Welcome Aboard!

Have I walked in your shoes -- per my name here! (P'cola USN/AOCS 1966/Warner Springs SERE/CTF.77 Yankee Station/Tonkin Gulf, 68-70/Topgun) I've even had the bloody pleasure of walking into the trailing edge of an F-8's wing one dark-and-foggy NAS Miramar night... when my issued D-cell flashlight failed!

If I were a squadron/air wing collateral duty Survival Officer today, I'd equip my pilots/aircrews with these 3 lights:

1. SF A2 (incan/LED combo)
2. Inova T2 (similar to XO LED)
3. CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra (LED)

The great A2's already been discussed. Its only shortcoming is its 50-minute runtime on high.

That's where the T2 comes in. It's got better Nomex/wet-hands grip than the XO and actually runs a tad longer (5 hrs. and flat). Great back-up. Tough. Perfect for unscheduled SERE/SAR games in unfriendly places. Also serves as a spare battery-holder for the A2.

The little Infinity Ultra classic (1 X AA) makes a neat dog-tag/lanyard light for hands-free map/chart reading and stealthy back-up tasks. Won't kill your night vision. Runs 10+ hours. Also available w/red LED. A Peak Matterhorn 1 LED (1 X AAA) or Arc could also fill this last role nicely. They're better/pricier lights, though runtime suffers a bit.

I always urged air wing pilots to carry extra batteries for their radios and survival lights. We didn't have lightweight lithiums during Vietnam, so extras were often scoffed at. However, I knew several "Nasal Radiators" who survived being shot down over Laos' Ho Chi Minh trail thanks to extra batteries.

"Yea, though I fly o'er the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... for I am the meanest mother in the valley."
-- Poster in a carrier ready-room, transplanted to TopGun, Vietnam era

One last thing: I'm too old to be recalled to Active Duty, so don't get any ideas, sonny! I am available, however, for "informal consultation" at the O-club after sundown.

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the L2 you will find is very comfortable to carry... i find the U2 a little bulky due to the 1.5" bezel.. it sticks you in the leg if you carry it in a front pocket...

the L2 rides with you very nicely... i think you made a good pick!

raptorman

Newly Enlightened
TonkinWarrior said:
RaptorMan: Welcome Aboard!

Have I walked in your shoes -- per my name here! (P'cola USN/AOCS 1966/Warner Springs SERE/CTF.77 Yankee Station/Tonkin Gulf, 68-70/Topgun)
Enlisted in '95 stationed onboard USS Independence, went all the way to E-6, earned my degree applied to OCS accepted, then 2 years of flight school, now I'm flying recce birds.

TonkinWarrior said:
If I were a squadron/air wing collateral duty Survival Officer today, I'd equip my pilots/aircrews with these 3 lights:

1. SF A2 (incan/LED combo)
2. Inova T2 (similar to XO LED)
3. CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra (LED)
The USN doesn't have that kind of money! :)

TonkinWarrior said:
I always urged air wing pilots to carry extra batteries for their radios and survival lights. We didn't have lightweight lithiums during Vietnam, so extras were often scoffed at. However, I knew several "Nasal Radiators" who survived being shot down over Laos' Ho Chi Minh trail thanks to extra batteries.
We carry the PRC-90-2 in our vests. 18 hour battery life, unless you switch modes for dense folliage. Puts the life down to 8. I carry a lot of my own equipment on the plane in my camelbak motherlode.

TonkinWarrior said:
One last thing: I'm too old to be recalled to Active Duty, so don't get any ideas, sonny! I am available, however, for "informal consultation" at the O-club after sundown.
Very good, I'll see you at the Mustin beach O'club for cocktails at 5.
:buddies:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will blast the intire area ahead of you, I guarrantie it. My bro has one... rediculousely bright!

-David

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2.. Nice light. The low is a bit bright... I would probably get either the red or blue filter (if that's what you are looking for), or a beam diffuser to further flood the light.

The high is high.. VERY High..

Its one tough light, you'll like it!

-tom

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
RaptorMan, sorry for the delayed response.

1. Congratulations on coming up the hard way, man. The U.S. Navy is lucky to have good officers like you.
2. Find some creative methods to re-deploy the old squadron Recreation Fund to buy more good flashlights!
3. Fair winds, blue skies, and smooth seas to ya.

Oh, man, how I miss the smell of jet-fuel and salt water in the morning...

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
I've had my L2 for over a year now. My first "major" purchase. It is STUPID bright!!! I know you've read about this so-called wall 'o light. Wait till you experience it in person. I had no idea what it was THAT bright. None of the pics you usually see do it any justice at all.

Welcome and hide you wallet!

:)

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Surefire A2

Surefire A2, great light with a regulated incandescent beam. LEDs when you don't need much light and an incandescent that will allow you to see better in fog, smoke or mist than an LED light. Great lights, I have owned them for years and they are still one of my favorites.