24 hour bug symptons

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since Ive been on the protein/creatine diet the past 3 years, when I get sick, it no longer hits me like it use to. I use to be sick for the duration of a school year and even then missed at least a month or two. I use to be too weak to do anything.

Anyway, since Ive been on the diet, I get maybe very mild sniffles that go away the next day. If I get sick, its mild and goes away fast.

Anyway, a co worker had a cold at work last week. THis week, I over did it Wednesday. I wasnt up to working out. Thursday I felt a bit run down and later in the day caught a ride home. I took a nap, woke up freaking cold with horrible pain in my legs, back, chest and neck and had a protein shake.

After about an hour I warmed up and felt better. Had a second shake before bed. THe nasal stuff barely made an appearance, just a mild sore throat and sick stomach.

Today, slept in, had a few protein shakes, more soreness and general lack of energy. Think I am slowly getting better, but felt too weak to even use the wheelchair.

Thinking this is a 24 hours bug or something. I just thought i would have a sore throat, nasal stuff or terminal diarreaha. I am prone to strep throat, however I get such a sore throat I cant speak. I just had a mild one like I was partly dehydrated.

Just wondering,....

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks say that there is no such thing as a 24 hour virus, and i understand the logic. If you've got a viral load large enough to make symptoms there is no way your body can clean it up in 24 hours. But in my experience too there are definitely things that I can get over in a big hurry that are not food poisoning.

Certainly if you're healthier since being on the new diet then that will help you get over things faster. I used to get strep throat a lot as a kid, so I know about that! It's pretty miserable to have that sore a throat. But it's bacterial so you can still get anti-biotics that will get rid of it.

Probably this bug you were exposed to was something that you had already encountered and already had an antibody to, so your healthy immune system had a leg up on it even as it started.

I have small school age children... So I know from viruses ;) They bring some farily exotic things home to me, and the lack of sleep that goes along with them means that my immune system isn't always as up to snuff as I'd like. But even so, sometimes I only get a 1 day sniffle and malaise which gets better right away. Other times, they can lay me out for days.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is food posioning like? That idea had crosses my mind, but I have no stomach pains. I know earlier in the year I had a mild sinus thing and had a sore chest and stomach from caughing in my sleep. No soreness in my chest of stomach.

Funny you mention the virus/bacteria thing. Unless i got a shot of antibiotics or oral I could guanrantee I wouldnt get well til June of the year. A shot or dose would knock it out in less than a week.

Now as for flu shots, I got sick after getting one. Regardless of what anyone says, I get sick a week after getting one. I decided against them, since it seemed either way I would get sick.

Now i do agree with the other thing. The bug was already in my system and just over did it and my defenses were down enough for the bugs to win and cause mild havick.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've had food poisioning without a stomachache per se, just really bad gastro symptoms requiring frequent visits to the bathroom. Most of the time it was caused by a spoiled dairy product (or in a couple of cases, bad meat from the days when I used to eat meat). My suspicion is that it's not a viral load but probably a boatload of bacteria that causes the symptoms. Even a tiny amount of contamination can cause it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is food posioning like?

heh, I get to use some smilies I rarely use :D like...

:sick2: :toilet:

It really depends on how much of the bad stuff you got, and how bad it was and how badly you react to it. It can be a mild case of the scoots ;) Or it can be like the worst day of a major flu infection, opening the sluice gates at both ends... It can start anywhere from half an hour after eating or it can lay in wait for a whole day, you might even run a fever... I do think that most of the time when people say they have a 24 hour thing and pat their stomaches, what they really had was a minor case of food poisoning. But there is something else going on out there too.

As far as the flu shot, some folks do react badly to them, no idea why. I got a cold a couple of days after getting the one last year, my first thought was that it had given me the flu, but luckily that wasn't what happened. I've really only had the flu 2 or 3 times in my life. I've had some bad colds, but if it's really the flu then you can't hardly get out of bed before your body, umm, I'll reuse the metaphor ;) Opens the sluice gates at both ends... The flu is 3 or 4 days of wishing you were dead.

As long as you're healthy and not worried about spreading it to others less healthy in your family and can afford the time off, you can probably survive it ;) With one kid in gradeschool and a wife working at the hospital and a baby still at home, we're probably worse risk and worse damage if we bring it home to the baby. So we're getting them again this year if they make me mildly ill again or not.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if I have food poisoning? Tuesday I ate some macaroni and potato salad that had sat in the car for approximatley 24 hours in 50 degree or so temps. Since then I have a mild, raw stomach and intenstine disorder. Not enough to keep me out of work but I have been laying into the Tums and have to go to the bathroom for number two four or five times a day.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
geepondy said:
Wonder if I have food poisoning? Tuesday I ate some macaroni and potato salad that had sat in the car for approximatley 24 hours in 50 degree or so temps. Since then I have a mild, raw stomach and intenstine disorder. Not enough to keep me out of work but I have been laying into the Tums and have to go to the bathroom for number two four or five times a day.

That sure sounds like it to me. I'm sure it was the dressing in the potato salad that went south (along with your stomach).

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I have more sinus stuff in my nose, mild soreness and feeling hunger again. Guess its about over? Ive made a few trips to the bathroom, not that inconvienced since its 12 feet from my lazy boy. I hate stomach cramps more than using the bathroom.

I looked up food poisoning last night. I just forget how easy that is with the internet and forget to look up answers to my own questions.

I think I may suffer food poisoning once a month. Quite a few times this year Ive gotten sick after eating, made multiple trips to the B Room for no reason. I ve woken up a few times with severe stomach cramps and made trips to the B Room too. I am not sore or ill feeling afterwards, just have the need to make multiple trips to the bathroom in a few hours.