Any idea how to take apart Safe-Light Companion

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody have any idea how to take apart the head of Safe-Light Companions without destroying the head? These are the ones with the clear rubber dome head with a plastic lens to focus the beam.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took mine apart- to paint the inside with glow paint. The results were good, but since the light is always on the glow is not as evident.

Anyway, the head came off rather easily. The 2 screws unscrew to release the head. There is a plastic gasket that pops out of the head. The tricky part is separating the pcb from the rubber housing. If you aren't careful, you can snap the switch off. Try popping the bottom out first.

Got it?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks:

It didn't look like the head would come apart without breaking the switch or plastic part. I want to take mine apart to paint the inside silver- there's just too much glare rearward. I'll give it a shot.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
The tricky part is separating the pcb from the rubber housing. If you aren't careful, you can snap the switch off. QUOTE]

And the 'trick' to doing so is to unthread one of the screws; screw it into the threaded bushing in the PCB and use it as a lever to pry the board out of it's groove starting with the side away from the switch. Put it back in the same way, it's easy with a handle.

At least that's the way I did it the several times I have pulled it apart.

Doug Owen

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug Owen said:
And the 'trick' to doing so is to unthread one of the screws; screw it into the threaded bushing in the PCB and use it as a lever to pry the board out of it's groove starting with the side away from the switch. Put it back in the same way, it's easy with a handle.

At least that's the way I did it the several times I have pulled it apart.

Doug Owen

Cool, thanks for that tip!