Cabela's LED flashlights...anyone have any experience with them?

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
While looking on the Cabela's web site, I came across a couple of Cabela's branded LED flashlights that seemed interesting, and was curious if anyone had any personal experience with them?

First light...Cabela's catalog number QS-516553, Cabela's Extreme 6w LED flashlight

Second light....Cabela's catalog number XF-516474, Cabela's XPG LED flashlights, 5w

Was curious about these lights, particularly the second one....Cabela's claims 115 lumens of output for 3 hours, presumably with 3 123 Lith batteries, with the option to run at half power to double runtime.

So, anyone use these? Decent lights? Regulated output or just direct drive? Comments appreciated, thanks in advance for replies!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. The 6 watt extreme is great. Its a pure white small spot beam with great throw. Up close it looks like a figure 8, but across the room it turns into a spot. I use it off and on daily on its side as a reading light at work. Still on the same set of batteries. The head gets slight warm with use, but you can feel some heat from the heat. I would buy again. Its just so freaking big. This would sell millions if it was in the mini mag size. I bet you could get 300 bucks for a modded one adapted to work with a smaller body.

The xpg 5 watt is a flood light. I am some what disappointed in it. It prodces a square beam like that of a computer projector. Its also a white like beam, so it does not appear as bright as the bluish ones. On high the head gets hot in a few seconds. It makes a lot of light on high. On low its not bad, but once you see high, low seems rather dim. I used low beam with it on my chest to read on some of the furniture at vcu in the commons and library. Now if you take the a p60 60 lumens light and compare it, no its dim. I wouldnt buy the 5 watt xpg again and had considered returning it.

If you want a bright led light to rival that of a p60 light, I would go with the 3 watt bugout led drop in, in a maxfire light body. That is freaking bright, good throw and spill like that of a p60 lamp.

Irongen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Cobb, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Since I just got an Inova T2 I really don't have any need for the smaller unit, but I would like something with more oomph than my Lightwave 4000, and the larger Cabela's unit sounds like just the ticket. I'll have to wander over to my local store and take a look at it, it sounds very promising.