Quality of HA-III

E

Emilion

I own some SFs, JIL, and HDS U60.

I edc the L5 in a belt pouch for months, until I felt from a DownHill and it helped me slow down on the ground, part of the bezel had wore away, of cos the HA-III gone. But before this accidient happened, the L5 looked new for months.

Than my edc light changed to KL1 with FB1. After a few weeks, the bezel has some dings, HA-III gone ....this light has never been dropped, never..

Ok, then comes the JIL, after 1 week....a little bit of the anodizing has gone. I edc this little light with a lanyard on my neck, between T-shirt and shirt.

Last one, the HDS U60....before I got my belt pouch for it, I carried it in my jeans pocket for days. It still looks new now...

What I want to ask about is, these lights all claims to be HA-III anodized. But why their quality varies ? The JIL seems to be the weakest one, HDS and L5 seems to be the best.

Geologist

Enlightened
I would imagine that the HAIII thickness varies from brand to brand. I *think* it has to do with how long the metal is left in the bath.

Longbow

Enlightened
The duribility of a HA III depends on the hardness of the aluminium (alloy and heat treat), the care used in application of the coating, and the thickness of the coating. The best of the best is not indistructable.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
^^^ What Longbow said. Lights made by HDS, Surefire, Arc, and other quality companies take more care in the HA process. It's a big part of what you pay for. The L1P carries a great value:performance ratio, but the HA could be better. Of course, it if were better, the val:perf ratio would not be as good and would not be as attractive. :)

You can't have all points of the triangle at the same time.

- Chris

E

Emilion

I'm happy with the HDS, and certainly my neck lanyard light will change to ARC-P when it arrive......maybe as a christmas gift....

It seems that the Black HA-III won't stay as tough as the OD ones, is it true ?

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Emilion said:
I'm happy with the HDS, and certainly my neck lanyard light will change to ARC-P when it arrive......maybe as a christmas gift....

It seems that the Black HA-III won't stay as tough as the OD ones, is it true ?

So long as it's the same quality of HA-III, it should wear the same.

- Chris