Pocket or small throw monster off shelf light

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if this is the right place or not. I was wondering, whats on the market for a small pocket thrower light. I have a brinkmann legend xl with p61 lamp and understand the p91 is a slightly bit brither but with more throw.

I like the p61 lamp, but it seems to slack off in the throw dept about 3 car lengths or so. Ive seen talk about turbo heads, HOLA and THORs.

Ive never used a THOR, but have a max light q beam spot light. Its a yellow spot light you plug into your car cig plug. Man, I love the throw on it. I see they make recharagable models and in target I have seen small models too, some even with ccfl lights built in. I think that maybe up my alley, but wouldnt mind something in a flashlight size, vs the pistal/gun design.

The other things, HOLA, turbo head looks like is an upgrade to an existing light. Not sure how they compare to the p91 light.

From what little research I have done, looks like the dominator 10x is fairly bright light that is somewhat small and well made. Also looks like the pocket HID light and some of the modded mag hot wire lights would fit the bill.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am only interested in lights 100 to 1000 times brighter than the p61 lamp. I dont care what they use for power. Throw is more important than flood.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Surefire M6 is ALOT smaller than people think. Smaller than a 2D cell Maglight.

Most people who hold one for the first time go wow is is alot smaller than what I thought it would be.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
...I am only interested in lights 100 to 1000 times brighter than the p61 lamp. I dont care what they use for power...
If by brighter you mean lumen output, that's 12000 to 120000 lumens. Not sure that's achievable in something you could carry.

If you mean 100 to 1000 times the lux on target of a good-throwing P61 flashlight, that's still a stretch, but a spotlight or high end HID spotlight like a Maxabeam or Megaray might do it at longer ranges.

CLHC

Flashaholic
For "pocketable" I'm sure you already saw this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1121233#post1121233 and yes it fits in my back jeans pocket or side pocket in those capenter/painter type pants. The throw on it is quite impressive for it's size.

For the "small throw monster" you can check out the suvlights<dot>com. I saw one (well a couple of them) in person and and was SOLD by the sheer brightness and throw for it's class. This one is on my to get list.

Hope you come across the one you desire and Enjoy!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
You've indicated you have 3 requirements:

1. Pocketable
2. Lotsa Throw
3. 1,000 times brighter than a SF P61 lamp

Objectives #1 and #2 are achieveable, but #3 is a wet dream.

Subject to your budget, here's some reasonably pocketable throwers:

1. SF E2L (LED)
2. SF 6P, Z2, or Z2, etc. -- with a new KL3 (Gen-2) LED head add-on
3. Streamlight Scorpion
4. Streamlight NF-2
5. Streamlight Strion
6. Streamlight TL-3
7. Pelican M6 (incan, not the LED)
8. Inova T3 LED (if you have big pockets)

Go to FlashlightReviews.com. Click on "Features," then "Output and Throw Charts," then ""Throw." However, I advise you to consider other factors like runtime, beam quality, and flashlight quality/durability. This great website also has thorough reviews of these lights -- and many more -- to facilitate the homework required to accellerate your learning curve.

Good luck.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
m6, is that a surefire light? Unable to find it on the surefire website.

opps, looks like I over stated brightness. Maybe 3-4 times as bright or throw.

suvlight website? Looks like they sell lights for trucks. Is there a flashlight link there? What am I suppose to look for ? That is tempting, 312 bucks. That does fit my pocketable statement. I wonder if it would run on alklines?

I checked the throw chart. Looks like the 4d mag light is bright. I have a few 3d cells and wouldnt of thought so myself. Looks like the vector spot light tops the chart. That was the light I was referring to at target, but the bran slipped my mind.

Waiting for the website to load to see the vector light, but that hid mag retrofit is very tempting. If he can do the 25 watt bulb, that would be hard to say no. I have no regards for run time, just spot brightness.

Thanks guys.

CLHC

Flashaholic
cobb said:
m6, is that a surefire light? Unable to find it on the surefire website.

suvlight website? Looks like they sell lights for trucks. Is there a flashlight link there?

That is tempting, 312 bucks. That does fit my pocketable statement. I wonder if it would run on alklines?

Thanks guys.

Yes the M6 is SureFire and it's under the Special Operations Millennium series.

It's here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/83763 under the Group Buys and Passarounds section. You would have to email them your request for the X990. They quoted me $300.00 for the unit including two (2) batteries.

Also, the MagHID does run on alkyline batteries and rechargeables.

Just thought you would like to know.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, that vector is a big light. I thought it was that smaller model they sold that is about the size of a beer can.

That hid light is tempting. Wonder how it compares to the vector spot light with the 55watt bulb in it?

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
There are many Vectors at Target. I think the one you are talking about is the million CP series light. In my local Target, those models didn't have the ccfl light. I found one at Home Depot under the Husky label. Same Vector light, just named Husky. I bought it there and then found Tractor supply store had the same light under the Vector name. I wish I had the time to return the Home Depot light and buy it at Tractor Supply, but I don't have the time and that's another story.
For the money, it's not bad. It has three power settings which are gotten to by pulling the trigger. The ccfl light is great. It's a winner for the small sum. I don't think the small battery will last long on full power, but I haven't tried to drain it yet.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
vectormfg is the company/brand I was referring to. They make a range of products under their own and other names and not many are listed on their website.

I think I maybe headed to target in two weeks. Will give it a look. Think the model I was eyeing was 24 dollars.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about the HID pocket light today. If it werent for wanting to buy mom a treadmill for when she gets home to keep her moving, I would order one. Maybe next month?

Deanster

Enlightened
Pelican Super-Saber 3C isn't quite as super-bright as you're asking for, but I think it's the real Throw-monster in pocketable lights.

Super-focused pencil-beam, very light corona, I think it's the most throw you'll get for $25 that'll fit in a pocket. It certainly out-throws my Surefire M6 - which is very bright, but doesn't have an especially tight or long-throwing beam. It puts out a ton of light, but very little of what comes out will get to something 100m away.

I'm also a fan of my 2MCP Vector light, and the Thor, though neither of those are pocketable at all.