New TNC Owner

AtomicCandle

Newly Enlightened
I am a new user, new owner of a keylux AA straight from TNC. I like the output, but I am curious if the module can be removed and upgraded. I have tried to unscrew it from the battery tube, with no luck. Can the module be removed? Does it require heating to remove it, meaning there is an epoxy of some kind holding it in? I did search on this light, and could find no information here, so I am sorry if I have overlooked something. Thanks guys!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The module can be removed. You have to turn it clockwise. The threads are backwards, so try to tighten it in the conventional way and it should come right out.

AtomicCandle

Newly Enlightened
Uh, duh. I remember a left hand thread that nearly drove me insane on an automobile. Thank you for posting that, it came right. My next question, where can I get an empty module, to do some custom luxaholic building? Thanks again, I feel stupid, I put more torque on it counter-clockwise, than it took to remove. :)

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect a KeyLux from TNC also and can't wait! What do you think of the light? I have heard nothing but positive remarks about those lights. Are you going to EDC it? Thanks!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Irp, I'm a really big fan of the Key Lux. Outstanding build quality, perfect beam in my opinion, very bright, runs between 2-3 hours on 1 AA. It's one of my very favorite lights. Worth every penny!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Big Ed, that is what I wanted to hear! I should receive mine maybe next week. From what I understand you can use any AA in the light....is that correct? Thanks!

AtomicCandle

Newly Enlightened
I am happy with the beam. Its bright enough to have some throw to it. The reflector gives you enough spill. With a lithium AA the runtime seems great, it does dim down, but you can tell its regulated, the dimming is over a longer time, so it gives lots of useful light. I'm still wondering if an empty module can be found to build your own engine. Thanks for the info.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Irp, I believe any AA cell will work in the Key Lux, but I think lithium works best. I haven't yet done a runtime test with lithium or alkaline yet. A Ray-O-Vac iC3 NiMH lasted 2 hours 36 minutes constantly on before it started to blink, signaling a weak battery. One thing I noticed is that with an alkaline cell, it will start to blink when the cell weakens, and becomes a bit sensitive to being tapped. (If I tap the light, especially the tail, it will start blinking). The weaker the battery, the more sensitive it becomes. With a lithium cell, it wasn't as sensitive, and tended not to blink, but it dimmed instead.
I pretty much am going to use lithium cells in the Key Lux from now on. Besides the performance gains, I feel that a light that costs as much as this light does, should have a lithium battery in it to protect from the leakage that can come from alkalines.
I think you'll really like this light.

AtomicCandle, as far as finding an empty module, maybe you could email Chris at TnC. He might be able to help you.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigEd, thanks for all the info! I think that I will like the light too and I will go with Lithiums. Will let you know how I like it when I receive it.