what flashlight?......

Freedom Fighter

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody, my friend, also known here as assassin337 just got a phoenix L1 or somthing like that. And now he's got me hooked on this whole flashlight craze. Right now I just have a store bought flashlight that came with a tool kit.
When I saw his phoenix I thought it was so cool and I had to get a new better flashlight. So my friend referered me to surefires website. After looking for a while I saw the 9p. So, is the surefire 9p original a good light? Or is there a light that is just as good for less money? I would like any help I could get.:huh2:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Freedom Fighter said:
Hey everybody, my friend, also known here as assassin337 just got a phoenix L1 or somthing like that. And now he's got me hooked on this whole flashlight craze. Right now I just have a store bought flashlight that came with a tool kit.
When I saw his phoenix I thought it was so cool and I had to get a new better flashlight. So my friend referered me to surefires website. After looking for a while I saw the 9p. So, is the surefire 9p original a good light? Or is there a light that is just as good for less money? I would like any help I could get.:huh2:

Well, it really depends on what you want. Any Surefire, including the 9P is a very high quality light with a great warranty. The 9P, like almost any Surefire has a lot of options you can add later to it. For instance, you can put in a higher quality lamp (nearly twice as bright), or add LED heads to replace the bulb. One really nice thing about the 9P is that it can use some types of rechargeably batteries. While the rechargeables are a bit of an investment, once you have them it can save a lot.

I have a 9P with the higher power lamp added on and rechargeables and love it. With the P91 high power lamp it is incredibly bright (pretty bright with the standard lamp as well). The only down side is that it is a bit bigger than many other Surefires such as the E2E. That said, in total it is one of my favorites, I just find it a bit too big to carry around. It resides on the nightstand.

For information about a lot of lights, including a lot of Surefires, check out www.flashlightreviews.com They dont list the 9P but do list the C3 I believe, which is a similar light but a bit more "hardened" for rougher use. But the 9P is plenty tough for most applications.

And welcome!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
FreedomFighter: Welcome to CPF.

Now... first things first. Guidance: Think of your next flashlight as a TOOL, not just some neat little toy.

So... exactly what do you want this Tool for? I.E., What do you want this tool to do? Everyday pocket carry? Night walks (in a city? Suburbia? Country roads/woods?)? Bashing Muggers? Bedazzling friends at the local rave club? Emergency survival in a building after a power-failure? And what's your budget?

There is no one perfect light for all these tasks.

-->> "Customers don't buy quarter-inch drills just because they like quarter-inch drills. What they really want is quarter-inch holes."

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I got a question to go along with that. Its bout the same flashlight so I thought I wouldnt start another thread. I am also looking at a 9P. From what Ive heard the surefire attachments such as the light filters and such dont fit on 9P Is this true?

:thanks:

Freedom Fighter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys

Thanks for all the info you guys. I guess what Im looking for is a good starter light. Something I can carry around wherever I go that has a nice bright focused beam and is under a hundred dollars. Probably what caught my eye about the 9p is the price while it still has 105 lumens.
:thanks:

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Freedom Fighter,

Welcome to CPF
wink2.gif

I prefer the C3 over the 9P because the C3 is Hard Anodized. The HA keeps the light looking new longer. They use the same lamp assemblies.

If you could see a 9P or a C3 light up the night, you would buy it on the spot.
au.gif

The G2 is a good bright inexpensive Surefire, if price is the main factor.

The Surefires I prefer are:
A2-regulated incandescent & 3 LEDs
L2-5 watt Luxeon with a 100 lumen high beam & a 15 lumen low with 8 hour runtime
L4-small 5 watt Luxeon that's regulated & can run on Pila rechargeable cell
E2E-small bright incandescent that might fit your budget.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
My first Surefire was an E2E, which I bought in July. I was so unimpressed with it that since then I bought a 9P, a P91 lamp for the 9P, a KL4 head for the E2E, an E1L, a two stage switch for the E2E (with KL4 head) and an A2 ;)

Seriously, the E2E is a fantastic light. Moreover, it is a great starter light because of the modularity of the system. You can add LED heads, tailswitches for the LED heads and such as your needs, interests and budget allows. That is what I really liked about it and why I went with the E2E. It is absolute top quality and has a great range of options to meet just about any use. The 9P is also a great light and much the same can be said of it. However, one reason I would urge you to look at the E2E carefully is that the E2E is a lot easier to carry in a pocket. As far as the lumen difference, one thing to consider is the beam quality. The E2E is an incredibly useful light with a stunning beam. Again, the 9P, especially with the P91 is as well. In fact the 9P with the P91 is mindblowing to me. But it just is noticeably larger in the pocket than the E2E. And the E2E puts out plenty of light for most uses and I find much more useful light than say an 2D maglite. You can even put a lower power bulb in the E2E (changes it to an E2O) and increase run time considerably. Again, wonderful flexibility, and because of the beam quality even with the lower power bulb it is useful for most purposes.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've been lusting after a Surefire Flashlight, the E2e is the first light to buy!

GadgetTravel's reasoning is exactly what said here many times before. The E2e should be the first surefire to get, it will serve 99% of the average persons needs. You may never need to buy another light after it! (gasp!) led heads and accessories yes, but light no.

I would not recommend a G2 just because it's less expensive, save up and go straight to the E2e.

The 9P was my second Surefire nearly 15 years ago. It has considerably more light output which shows up in a wide broad brilliant flood. It's increase in brightness was disappointing to me. I re-read everything and realized I was misreading the literature. You get more light, not more brightness. Make sense?

Last edited:

Kris

Newly Enlightened
The 9P is an excellent light. It was the first Surefire flashlight I ever bought a long time ago. I lost it, but got it replaced as a gift. I still have my 9P and its one of my favorite Surefires. You will not be dissapointed, its a great light.

Freedom Fighter

Newly Enlightened
G2?

Thanks again guys. everyone here is really helpfull.:)
My budget is not too high right now so I kinda plan on getting two lights.
I thought about buying the G2 nitrolon and then getting a 9P later on.
So do any of you guys have G2's and what do you think of them?
Are they good starter lights? I noticed it can use a lot of the accessories.
So G2 owners speak up.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: G2?

If you're interested in SF, look up Turbodog's groupbuy (in the group buy section). The dealer he found has excellent prices and a CPF discount (and for more of those follow the "Specials" link in my sigline). Have you visited flashlightreviews.com? Excellent site that will help you decide and focus on what you want/need/afford/use, etc.

Welcome to CPF!