Blues and Jazz

How many Jazz and Blues people here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many Jazz and Blues people are on the forums? BB King, Ray Charles, Norah Jones, ect.

drizzle

Enlightened
More blues than jazz. Some jazz I really like and some just leaves me cold.

I've gotten away from the blues lately, (I've been on a Brazilian music kick) but when I listened it was Albert King more than BB. But it's all good! :)

dim

Enlightened
Coltrane's DA MAN. Miles is like Leonardo - art to a science. Billie Holliday is the greatest American female vocalist - will melt the coldest of souls. Jimi Hendrix blows my mind.

dim

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two different types of music...I Love jazz -- hate blues.....so I didn't vote. :(

Hate is a strong word...lemme put it this way -- if I'm listening to the radio and they start playing blues, I will change the channel at the first opportunity.

And then there are all sorts of variations of jazz...latin jazz, contemporary jazz, bebop, Dixieland, fusion, etc...I like some more than others...

JM-99

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jazz man right here! Actually, like many or most, I listen to a lot of different types of music, including a lot of rap and rock. I picked up one great jazz album this year -- Come Dream With Me, by Jane Monheit. Most styles are good for me. Not a huge fan of fusion, and don't really like a lot of that stuff they play on the "easy listening" station that they call "jazz", but sounds more like new age.

Blues is great, too, but in many cases it's jazzy blues, or bluesy jazz--a little difficult to set them apart.

Last edited:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I like the big band era jazz from the 30's. Don't really care for more of this recent stuff. I played in a jazz band at school and loved it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
check out the simpsons sings the blues it is one of the best album of the century to bad marge got hooked on peppermint snaups and ginger aile.im kidding i like the blues but more heavy blues i guess heavy rock with a blessy feel to it .the black crows kinda was that way i think

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky enough to have seen Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Stan Getz, and many more.

Also, I'd suggest you give a listen to Art Tatum, Herbie Hancock, Mose Allison, Horace Silver, and McCoy Tyner, among others, of course.

Lots of different eras and styles of music even within the works of any one of these artists.

As for blues, I like Elmore James, the original Fleetwood Mac, Muddy Waters, Roy Bucchanan, and a lot of others.

The thing to remember is that there are lots of different styles and there are lots of cross-over performers. Many times I've found that if you find a recording that you really like, it's a great idea to check out who is playing on the album, and then follow up on them as well. "Thread pulling" on almost any type of music is a neat way to open up your tastes and expand your collection.

Jazz and blues are even more reasons that I love satellite radio!

Brock

Flashaholic
We have NOJO, New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, here today and tomorrow night. Talk about a tight group! Man it is nice to hear them in person; they are out on stage rehearsing right now. I going back out there…