Brightest small light for police work

jimmiceman

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums. I work as a LEO and I currently use the SL stinger XPHT. It is a great light! The brightness and distance is awesome. The only problem is the size. I have a small waist and my duty belt is pretty packed. The length of the XTHP is alittle long and gets in the way of me sitting and takes up a good amount of space on my already packed rig. I am looking for something the size of the strion length and width. I would like something really bright and good quality seeing as my life or someone else's may depend on it. I searched but nothing came up too useful in my search any help ASAP would be great. I'm actually doing tactical shooting this Thursday with flashlight so the quicker the info the better. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Jimmy:thanks:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since size is an issue, it's difficult to beat the Strion. It has lots of output at a small size plus is rechargeable. I think they're often use for duty lights.

Another small/bright option is the Surefire M2 with P61 high output lamp, but only has about 20 min runtime.

lexina

Enlightened
for maximum flexibility i would recommend the Surefire 6P.

with 2 non-rechargeable 123s, you can run a P60 (65 lumens) or P61 (120 lumens). with 2 rech. 123s, you can fit a P90 lamp - very bright 105 lumens with good throw. I get 35mins on 2 protected 750mAh protected cells.

you can also upgrade to a 9P at any time by getting the A19 1-cell extender.

CLHC

Flashaholic
As already mentioned throughout this forum, there are indeed many great flashlights out there. I don't own any of StreamLight's flashlights but if I had to buy one of them, the Strion peaks my interest.

If it's rechargeables you're looking for, you may want to check out SureFire's 9AN and 8X Commander. I have the original ones from them and they truly are well built illuminating tools, especially for duty use. The 8X, in my opinion, is a workhorse! The 9AN has two (2) brightness settings. You can also (if getting these) get spare back-up batteries on the ready. I believe the 8X comes with two (2) rechargeable batteries.

For lithium powered ones—the 9P is an excellent choice as mentioned above. The M2 and the M3 are also great ones to investigate! Don't forget to get a "stocked" spares carrier along with these ones though. . .

That's just my input, others here will also provide excellent advise on your needs. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Welcome to CandlePowerForums and Enjoy!

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Jimmy,

I also have the same "problem." I don't have a lot of real estate on my gun belt 'cause I stay fit. Here is how I have worked around it:

I ditched the baton. I grab it as I head out the door of my vehicle and throw it in my back pocket. I still keep OC on my belt.

I ditched my extra gun magazines. I know, pretty unorthodox, but our shootings usually involve 2-3 rounds fired, maximum. Why carry 30+ unless you know you're going to a high risk situation, then grab them. I may also carry a shotgun or a backup handgun, which I prefer.

No extra cuffs. No multi tools. No cell phone. All this stuff stays in the gear bag.

My folding knife goes in my shirt pocket. My keys hang from a belt keeper key clip, not silent key pouch on the belt itself. I drop them in my gear bag when I need to be stealthy.

I have a Mag lite ring holder belt keeper for my Surefire M6 and a Blackhawk M6 pouch that I use for the M6, Stinger, M3, folding knives and other toys. I don't wear my flashlights until the sun goes down.

No equipment is behind my hips, so I can sit comfortably in my vehicle. With less weight and bulk, I'm lighter on my feet for foot chases and direct contact fights.

But if all you wanted was a new flashlight, the Surefire C2 and Strion are both good.

oklalawman

Enlightened
Lightraven you are a cop and dont carry ANY extra mags??? What happens if you have a Type 2 malfunction? Are you just dead?? I dont know of any dept that would allow that.

Back to the light question... I too am trying to reduce weight on my belt (and inside of it too). They just keep making us carry more stuff. I had a Stinger hp and loved it. The taser killed carrying that. Went back to the small head. It is some better. Right now I just started carrying tl-3 with rechargable li-ion batteries. It is brighter, lighter and smaller than the stinger. So far I like it a lot better. Only time will tell. I have had a stinger on my belt for over 13 years. I have tried some of the 6 volt lights. Most are not bright enough. I also can not afford to be replacing the battereies some time nightly. I keep a mag 60 in my car along with a modified stinger (750 lumen 5 megas mod). I feel at thi point this is the best of all worlds.....Hmm though I could always put a 1274 bulb with nonprotected li-ion and..oh that is another story.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I carried a .357 magnum, we got a grand total of 12 bullets, 6 in the gun and 6 to carry on our person--no more were allowed. My current semi automatic has twelve bullets in the gun, so the ammo supply stays the same without the need for a reload. In 7+ years of shooting this model of semi auto, I have never had a single malfunction.

Our shootings, though not uncommon and mostly cleared as legitimate shoots, typically aren't of the "kill or be killed" variety. Different types of work have different types of threats and I guess I should say that I don't recommend this approach to SWAT or armed robbery or gang suppression details. I worked plain clothes narcotics with only a handgun most of the time and no extra mags while the undercovers didn't carry any weapons at all.

I carry an extra handgun, shotgun or rifle depending on circumstances. I am one of the only guys I know that wears body armor and wears a seatbelt. As far as policy, well, that can cut both ways, and each officer is responsible for his or her own safety.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I load up on ammo and lights.

The City I work in has had numerous incidents with extended gun battles and the AK-47 has been the rifle of choice with the gang-bangers.
Most people now have finally realized the threat capability they can face and carry extra ammo. I have four mags on the belt. The ammo always stays. This falls into "the better to have and not need than need and not have" philosphy. We had one incident where everyone was pinned down and only one officer had good cover to return fire. Everyone pinned down were throwing him their extra magazines. He shot over 80 rounds suppressive fire until SWAT took the guy out with a rifle.

But I digress.

Like Lightraven, I too put nothing at the back of the belt because it is uncomforable when sitting in the car. I am still able to put two lights on my belt. A Z2 in a surefire plastic holster up front right and a Stinger left side rear belt. (We don't have Tasers. If so, I'd have to rethink the gear arrangement.) Some very small stature officers don't have even enough room to barely fit the requirements because of their waist size. They have gone to on placing items on the vest. While not as accessible at least it is with them.

I too used a Stinger for years as my on the belt light. SL-20 primary in the car. Over time I have added the z2.
I also use the 8NX (fits in the same belt pouch as the Stinger).

I am now experimenting with a 9P with an A19 battery extender, two Pila 168s batteries and the P91 bulb. It is way brighter than the Stinger. I usually used the 9P with two 150s Pila's but with the P91 bulb you had to doubletap the on button to bypass the protection circuit. While at home or camping this doesn't bother me but at work I didn't like the delay. The 168s batteries have been working flawlessly so far and I should get 25-30 minutes out of this setup. Shorter runtime than I would like but worth the extra lumens. I also like this setup because the P91 bulb gives you a huge lit up area.

For belt lights, I have used a Surefire 6R many years ago but quickly found it didn't have enough punch. When the Stinger came out you saw most people accept it quite quickly. If you liked the Stinger I hear the Strion is very close in output and may be your best choice. I would also like to try out the TL-3 with AW rechargable batteries. My 150s Pila's don't seem to work in it. But I love the TL-3. Just got one about a month ago. If I could work out the rechargable battery issue that may be a winner for belt carry.

I also always carry a light in the daytime. Going into dark buildings, basements, warehouses and housing projects light always seems to be dim.

Last edited:

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Surefire M3.

I have alot of different lights, but the Surefire M3 is what I depend on every night. Incandescent beam works so much better than my LED lights in smoke or foggy conditions. It has a shock-isolated bezel/lamp assembly. Great light to use with a handgun. Extremely tough, I believe this is the best all-around tactical light. Works great inside buildings and houses (I feel the M6 is a little too bright for me inside), but also works great outside.

I like my M2, M6 (stays in my vehicle) and the Gladius is a great light, but every night I always reach for the M3, it has never let me down, but I still carry a backup M3 just as I would carry a backup for any light.

Also love the red and blue filters for the M3.
Batteries from surefire are cheap.
Also like Surefire A2 for general purpose.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
SilverFox said:
Hello NotRegulated,

You have an interesting variety of lights...

Have you had any issues with the 8NX?

Tom

Yes, but all were resolved by Surefire.

First I had bad B90 batteries. Surefire knew the batches of batteries that were a problem and sent me new ones after I called.
Next I had a problem with the charger. It wasn't acting smart at all. It fried my batteries. After a call to Surefire I packed up the charger and sent it back. There must have definately been a problem with it because they sent me a new one.

I have extensive experience with the Stinger but at the time there was no way to charge up an extra battery. I ended up buying another Stinger (write-off0. Now you can get the piggyback charger and have two batteries.
I wanted to try the 8NX because I could bring the extra charged battery with me to work. An opportunity came and I got the 8NX for a great closeout price (many years ago). I came to find that the beam quality is fantastic and I would pick it anyday over the Stinger. I am a fan of fixed focus lights. I really never used the adjustable head on the Stinger. I would also steer you away from the 8AX and go for the nitrolon (8NX) instead. If Surefire came out with a HOLA lamp that would be more of an incentive to get the 8AX.

The Stinger and 8NX are about the same physical size and the brightness is about the same. The 8NX's beam is much better IMHO. The beam is smooth with a good hotspot and lots of spill. Good throw too. It's a great light.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
NotRegulated said:
Yes, but all were resolved by Surefire.

First I had bad B90 batteries. Surefire knew the batches of batteries that were a problem and sent me new ones after I called.
Next I had a problem with the charger. It wasn't acting smart at all. It fried my batteries. After a call to Surefire I packed up the charger and sent it back. There must have definately been a problem with it because they sent me a new one.

I have extensive experience with the Stinger but at the time there was no way to charge up an extra battery. I ended up buying another Stinger (write-off0. Now you can get the piggyback charger and have two batteries.
I wanted to try the 8NX because I could bring the extra charged battery with me to work. An opportunity came and I got the 8NX for a great closeout price (many years ago). I came to find that the beam quality is fantastic and I would pick it anyday over the Stinger. I am a fan of fixed focus lights. I really never used the adjustable head on the Stinger. I would also steer you away from the 8AX and go for the nitrolon (8NX) instead. If Surefire came out with a HOLA lamp that would be more of an incentive to get the 8AX.

The Stinger and 8NX are about the same physical size and the brightness is about the same. The 8NX's beam is much better IMHO. The beam is smooth with a good hotspot and lots of spill. Good throw too. It's a great light.

I agree I have a Stinger XT and a Surefire 8NX. In my humble opinion the Surefire 8NX does a much better job of lighting up a car during a traffic stop or just searching a building. Haven't had any battery issues yet.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
The first light I carried on my gunbelt was a stinger. Before the stinger came out, we just carried our magchargers in our back pockets or sap pockets when we got out of the car. The stinger on the belt became the way to go. I retired the stinger and got a pelican M6. It lasted until I got a Pelican M6 3 watt. That's my edc gunbelt light. I usually take my ultrastinger in a baton holder for a general light. I work midnights so I always use a light. A pelican M11 and either a versalite maxbeam or recently a vector 1,000,000 series spotlight waits in the car. I'm very satisfied with the PM6 3w. It lasts a long time and the holder that is supplied holds two extra batteries if necessary.

I liked Lightraven's start of a discussion of what was on (or not) his belt.
If it's not been done already, perhaps I'll start a thread on the nonlight area.

40glocker

Newly Enlightened
oklalawman and NotRegulated, what kind of holsters are you using for the tl-3?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't put the TL-3 into the rotation yet because I want to use rechargable batteries. My Pila 150s don't work. I am in the process of ordering AW protected 17500's (kinda the same as the Pila 150s). I have read that this combo works well in the TL-3 for 50 minutes.

I can't think of a holster off-hand to hold it. That may become the real problem after all. I tried it in a couple of Surefire holsters but it didn't work.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
NotRegulated said:
Haven't put the TL-3 into the rotation yet because I want to use rechargable batteries. My Pila 150s don't work. I am in the process of ordering AW protected 17500's (kinda the same as the Pila 150s). I have read that this combo works well in the TL-3 for 50 minutes.

I can't think of a holster off-hand to hold it. That may become the real problem after all. I tried it in a couple of Surefire holsters but it didn't work.

Actually Pila 150s batteries will work in the TL-3 but you may have to tweak it a bit. If you mod the tailswitch guts it will work on Pilas or CR123s which ever you choose. I'll post more on it later if you're interested in how to do it.

As for a holster, I use a Pelican M6 new style holster without the plastic spacer in the bottom. It's snug but works OK.

-LT

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic,
thanks for offering to help. I already have Pila 150s and the charger. I would rather not get into numerous different types of rechargables specific to each light. If I could use just the Pila's for my Surefires and Streamlights that would be great.

I think there are others who would like to know how to do this also. If you have the time let me know how to do this. Hopefully it won't be too difficult for a DIY'er.