9p SRTH vs. 2C M*g 3x123a

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
What do you all think of a Surefire 9p with the N2 and an SRTH verses a 2c M*g with three 123a batteries?

Which would put out more light? Which would have more throw? Which do you all think is better? Which one is "better"?.... how-ever you want to define "better".

ANY help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SS

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be a very interesting contest. Of coures a Carley HOP reflector and Carley 1499 bulb will easily match that SureFire. It will not out power a M4 with MN60 though.

DSCN3767.JPG

Luxman

Enlightened
I don't know the characteristics of a 2c M*g with three 123a batteries, but a SF D3 + SRTH with an N2 blows away an M3 with a 225 lumen MN11. I can EASILY see the brighter and smaller SRTH spot within the M3 spot.

0634d3srth26408fg.jpg

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, put it this way - the local flashaholics have been putting my SRTH up against everything else, and it blows away everything else due to very, very much superior beam colllimation. I am using the MN16 - despite the fact that it was not designed for the SRTH, Surefire's photonic management system is so impressive that the spot is hotter and it throws further than anything else.

We even stacked it up against a Surefire KT1 - its replacement - using an MN60 to get the same amount of lumens. Incidentally, the MN60 has a SMALLER filament, we checked up on that too. And the SRTH took it out to lunch and then some.

Mag mods have nothing compared to it. In fact, it took my Roar of the Pelican/Lithium Edition with 600 output lumens to get the same spot intensity. The ROP/LE puts out far more spill, but does not collimate the beam as well and tends to be more of a flood than the SRTH. In fact, at times, the SRTH seems to have a more intense hotspot than it is. This is even taking into account the fact that the ROP has a cammed reflector and I can tighten the beam up as much as I want to.

Surefire once again teaches me - it's not always sheer photons, it's how you use them. In this situation, lux would be a valid measurement, because you want to test how the light collimates the beam into an intense spot. This makes sense, because as I said that night, Surefire Turboheads seem to have been designed with an offensive use in mind (together with other support hardware - we will not discuss this because it is off topic), and the more blinding the spot, the better.

Even the KT1, its replacement, does not do quite as well as the older Turboheads. Al (Size15s) was right - the SRTH is still something above and beyond. I can hardly imagine what the old 3" T-series Turboheads can do.

This probably also explains why the Photon King outthrows ANY known single-LED flashlight - AND that's despite using a 5-watt LuxV with big die and side emitter LuxV at that!!