Shake light in car, orientation ??

Shake Light orientation in car

• Total voters

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what's the best orientation for a standby shakelight in a car, horizontally, front to rear, side to side, at an angle, vertical ??

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
To mount it or to shake it? Personally, I'd skip the shakelight and go with a crank light or a squeeze-light. :D Mounting? I'd suggest leaving it horizontally.

Shaking it, you probably should do that horizontally too, with the risk of bumping the window or a person behind you depending on how the car's set up. I'd say a crank or squeeze light would be a better flashlight to keep in the car, even if it has a few more parts to break.

Last edited:

Drew

Newly Enlightened
I would try to avoid charging one in public places unless your windows are tinted very dark. :crackup:

Robban

Enlightened
I've never used a shakelight so I don't know how easily they get charged but I'm finding it hard to think that normal driving will make it shake about enough to charge?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robban said:
I've never used a shakelight so I don't know how easily they get charged but I'm finding it hard to think that normal driving will make it shake about enough to charge?

Unless you're doing a bunch of sudden starts and stops, several times a second, I don't think it will. :D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
store it inside one of the hubcaps.... it should light up for days if you put a few AA rechargables in it instead of the tiny coin cells.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hubcap won't work, unless you drive very slowly, centrifugal force will keep magnet at one end

Vertically might work where I live, loads of speed bumps !!

PacketStorm

Newly Enlightened
I vote horizontally - as you make turns the magnet will shift from one end to the other. Drive down a curvy road at a decent clip and you've got a charged light! :)