Recommend me lights for Christmas gifts

Frangible

Enlightened
I noticed last time I was visiting relatives they were using a 2D flashlight to check for "bumps" in the night in their yard. As a flashaholic, that made me cry. I'd prefer to get all of my relatives something that would be significantly better than their 2D cell wonders.

Parameters:
Cost: < $40
Lumens: 60-100 (the more the merrier)
Batteries: integrated rechargables or common types (AA, D, etc)

I thought about the Maxfire Surefire G2 clone at Walmart, but I wasn't sure if my average relative would replace the batteries (or bulb) on it, their internet savvy... varies. Maybe Maxfire + spare bulbs + CR123s?

I guess something LED based that ran on normal batteries and had pretty high output would be the best, but the higher output LEDs like that tend to cost a bit, and I'd be buying in bulk.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could Mod some mag lights for gifts. That is if you are into that sort of thing. You could make them for around $40.

wmirag

Enlightened
For a utility light, Photon Freedoms are relatively inexpensive, very high quality and are small enough that they will actually be carried and thus used.

For a bump in the night light inder $40, I concur on the G2. Round up to $40 by getting them some extra batteries. Most people will get years and years out of a zenon bulb: 25 hours run time is pretty long - 50 batteries worth of use.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Jr Lux? Seems to be THE light for non-flashaholics. It's brilliantly bright (to them), white, runs on familiar batteries and has a clickie switch that anybody who can operate a click ballpoint pen is qualified to use. Cheap too - under your $40 budget.

If you want smaller there is always the $30 Fenix L1. Hmm.. waiting for my Fenix to arrive.. runs on AA batteries too.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
I suggest you get them all STREAMLIGHT ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon LEDs. They are $22.95 from www.fox-intl.com . They use common AA batteries. They (your relatives) would never have to replace a bulb. And the 4AA is a Great all around light for the Non-flashaholic. Under $30.00 apiece even with shipping. They are available in either yellow or black. Just my $.02 cents. Happy Dark trails.

jtice

Flashaholic
I would also recommend the Sreamlight 4AA Luxeon.

Runs on common AAs, great FLAT runtime, white, nice and bright.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Unless they are known flashaholics, I wouldn't buy ANY flashlingt for a gift that DID NOT use "D", "C", "AA", or "AAA" batteries!

onthebeam

Enlightened
The Streamlight Jr. Luxeon is indeed an impressive light in the $25 range. Very well built and machined in the familiar mini mag form factor. It has a much increased "cool" factor over the ProPoly AA. I own both and love both. For straight performance for the $$$, the ProPoly is best, but it looks like any routine flashlight. The Jr. Luxeon oozes "cool gift!" A place with great price and service is www.dlsenterprises.com. Happy holidays!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I've personally not had any failures with the SL Jr Luxeon, but I am disturbed that other people have. It is perfect for nonflashaholics; my mom has no trouble with the thing at all, just dump out the batteries periodically and replace, that's all the maintenance she's done on it!

daloosh

Still, this year I'll be giving out a few Pal lights from the sale they are doing this month. You can't beat a $6-7 emergency light with a stick. For Christmases past I've given Surefires (G2, E2e), CMG Infinity Ultras, PT Attitudes, Photon coinlights, Pelican M6s, and Arc AAAs.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Roy said:
Unless they are known flashaholics, I wouldn't buy ANY flashlingt for a gift that DID NOT use "D", "C", "AA", or "AAA" batteries!

Ditto. I got y aunt 2 TerraLux miniStar's; simplest drop-in, regular batts, "spectacular" improvement (at least for my aunt) from a minimag. Anything less familiar and she would've refused to use it.

E

Emilion

G2 is a good starter light. I sent some as birthday gift....2 of those who get them becomes a flashaholic......

Last edited by a moderator:

Geologist

Enlightened
G2 is a great gift light. Make sure you get the new ones with the lock-out tail cap!

Matter of fact, I am giving my Brother-IN-Law a birthday gift and I looked at many options - a modded 3CMag, a PT Attitude, an Eternalight, etc...... But the G2 won out because:
1) Ready to go (even comes with a set of batteries)
2) Lifetime warranty
3) Not fragile
4) Even with the P60, it is plenty bright for the non-flashaholic
5) Waterproof
6) Great size and weight and is scratch proof.

Everything else either sucked batteries too quickly, was a bit fragile, or did not put out enough light..... If he gets hooked, maybe the sister-in-law will get a QIII

btw that would be might 2nd choice (albeit with less light) is the QIII

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Candidates on my list for non-flashaholics...
-River Rock .5 watt 2xAAA light (hey, $9 each and a good light)
-Princeton Tec Surge (good for all weather)

WDR65

Enlightened
I second both lights mentioned by Zespectre and also recommend the Dorcy Metal Gear 1 watt from Wal-Mart and the Streamlight Pro Poly incandescent 4AA. The Pro Poly incandescent is not as bright as the Surge, but has a good form factor and comes close to E2e brightness at 1/4 or so the cost. The only problem I can see with this is that with the exception of the Surge most of these lights will not near 100 lumens and only a few will come close to 80. Then again 40-50 lumens ends up being pretty impressive once stacked up against a tired old 2D light.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Like mentioned above ...... if your looking for common battery lights ......

1) PALights ..... get a dozen ...... and then maybe a few for your friends too :D

2) Fenix ......

3) Streamlight Luxeon Junior .......

4) Streamlight Key Mate ...... always brings a smile :)

chuck4570

Enlightened
The Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon is a great light for the average flashlight user. It uses easy to get and inexpensive batteries, no bulb replacement, throw with good side spill, durable, strong, decent run time, and a clicky switch, what more could you ask for?

Chuck