LED for LEO?

Primeight

Newly Enlightened
I recently joined this forum to reseach a Reliable, Durable, and bright duty light. I had only been considering the Ultrastinger, Magcharer, and the likes because of their versitility as a last ditch impact weapon, but I don't want to limit my options. I have never used or seen an LED in action but been looking into them as well, considering the Inova t4. My knowlege of lights is very limited, and I getting mixed up with the Lumens vs. candlepower, since lights are listed with one or the other. I Need a light that's good, somthing I can rely on, and somthing that can take a beating. It does not need to be big. It was one of my original parameters, but I realize how many time I leave my police car without somthing atached to my belt, and large lights just get in the way of moving. Anyway, If, I already have a stinger, but it's got some serious miles on it and looking to upgrade. Will An LED do the job, or should I stick with the traditional duty lights. If a t4 is no improvement over the stinger, well than i'll stick with what i know. Any sugestions will be appreciated. I know No amount of money is to much for my saftey, but in all reality, if I don't have the capital, I won't get the light. Anywhere in the 115 range should be fine.
Just please remember that this will be a tool used when confronting Bad people. I have been reading your forums and see that you truely do know what you are talking about. Thank you for any and all help regarding LED duty lights. I do need your help. Help me Obi-won, your my only hope......

P.S.
Can someone please explain, post a link to help me get the lumen candlepower thing straitened out?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer on Lumens & Candlepower:

Lumens: think of it as a measure of how many photons come out. Some manufacturs rate bulb lumens, and other rate as the actual lumens that make it out past the lens.

Candlepower: Sometimes measured in "lux". This is how "intense" or "bright' a beam is. This is mainly a factor of focus. A light with a narrow beam will have high lux, while a beam that is very wide will be low lux. Both lights could have the same amount of photons coming out (lumens) but due to the focus their Lux(candlepower) readings will be different.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinger is a great duty light. LED lights can be OK but generally overall output is less. Night-Ops Gladius is a good LEO duty light (LED). Likewise some LEOs have used the Nuwai TM-301X-5 (about $65), which is compact and has good output for a LED light: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm

The Streamlight Strion is a smaller incandescent alternative to the Stinger that is nonetheless very powerful: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm

I'm not an LEO, but personally I like the Gladius, HDS EDC U60/U85, and Surefire U2, L2, and A2 because of the variable output. To read a map, check driver registration, etc, single-stage high output lights are uncomfortably bright.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been experimenting with the Inova T4.
It is a nice light. I alternate carrying it on the bat belt or a PILA GL3R and GL4R

The incan is going to be better if there ambient light around. If it's really dark the T4 is more than up to the task.

I also carry a Gladius on the belt. It is brighter/whiter and has better throw than the Inova. It is more expensive to own also.

The T4 can handle most tasks, it does not have enough side spill to use tucked under the arm while writing.

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
A half dozen of one equals six of another, but whatever you get, make sure it has a push button in the tailcap.

I spent all that time fumbling with my polystinger, rotating it with BOTH hands to find the darn switch in the dark, place the switch under a finger on the weak hand, THEN get ready for the old Harries technique (wrists crossed, back of weak hand pressing against back of strong hand) ....

I didn't know how bad off I was all that time until I switched to a Surefire after the *!#?%&! bulb on the polystinger went out every time I tried to focus it.

Now I'm a MUCH happier camper. I'd go with Surefire any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. To hell with the battery cost ... MY life is worth more than any 123 battery. (My "ex" may disagree.) :devil:

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
I've got an Inova T3 that I absolutely love and use at the jail every night. It's a tough little light, it'll run for almost 3 hours on one set of CR123's, and it's light on the belt AND wallet. I can't recommend it enough as a belt light. I still advocate having a large flashlight (MAGCgarger, UltraSinger etc)in the car for your real far throwing needs, but the T3 does pretty well by itself as well.

-Teuf

cslinger

Enlightened
My Wife's brother is an LEO and I bought him an Inova T3 so I was sure he would have a good reliable reasonably bright backup light. He uses the hell out of that T3 and speaks very highly of it.

If it were me I would probably carry a Surefire A2 as my backup light as it gives me the best of both worlds.

Chris

dg

Newly Enlightened
Remember there is an issue with LED light in a street lighting situation, where the LED light is difficult to see over certain distances. In this case an incandescent light will allow you to illuminate objects and people at a distance.

This may be a consideration for you law enforcement types!

Search the forum for more info

cslinger

Enlightened
Remember there is an issue with LED light in a street lighting situation, where the LED light is difficult to see over certain distances.

Which is why I advocate the A2 since you have the powerful incan. light when needed, soft LED flood when needed and if you incan. does blow you have the LED as backups for many many hours.

Chris