fun with POP module and 9-LED cheap light ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
EDIT: 9-LED light, not 7 :(

As part of a shipment some time back from one of our great suppliers, I got this cheap, 3xAAA, 9 LED light. The light was unreliable, had a reverse clickie, and although just plain cheap, the 9 LED's gave a nice, pleasant, almost white beam - much, much better than the tipicall "angry-blue" that most 5mm LED's have (my guess it came with 20 or 25K White LED's):

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

Playing with the module I found that the LED "module" fit perfectly inside the head of a "C" series SF (6P in this example). So using an POP module (still in UI mode 1), I played with the LED module and found that it was a great match for a very long running light that would take the 4.2 LiIon cells (17650, PILA 168S, and if bored-out the mighty 18650 cell!). So I decided to build myself a new module ;)

I used part of the tailcap of an old, dried-out, black marker as host for the POP module, and an old spring from a 4xAA battery pack for the positive battery contact. The negative connection is made by the outer ring of the LED module contacting the inner part of the metal 6P host near the neck (so this can't work on the G2 type lights).

IMG_1672.JPG

The results are awesome!. With a fresh PILA 168S I recorded 307mA on max, which is about 34mA to each LED - a little high, but not too much. I now have an adjustable, super long running light for home and close-range use, built (except for the POP module) on free stuff I had around me ;)

IMG_1673.JPG

Note the bezel can't quite close completely, but still water tight by the o-ring:
IMG_1674.JPG

These "modern" electronics can turn almost any boring LED light into something a lot more practical, and fun ;)

Will

Last edited:

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Re: fun with POP module and 7-LED cheap light ...

Awesome Mod! I like it :rock: Have you tried regular AAA rechargeables?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Roberto,

No, as the 3xAAA battery holder was trully unreliable in the original host. Not worth using at all. For 5-6 months I had this 9-LED module around and I always wondered about doing somthing practical with it. I had one of your POP modules that I wanted to use for an Aleph LE but I decided to play with it on my bench and I just fell in love with the user interface and the flexibility of UI 1. The rest, as they say, its history ...

I will replace the LED's for the 35K's that I got from KevinL for even more brightness, closer to white, and same power consumption. Next will be to bore out the body for the 18650 cells ;)

EDIT: Just replaced the LED's with new 35K LED's from KevinL. Whiter and much brighter. These must have lower vf than the old ones since current jumped to 553mA on maximum, which is about 61mA to each LED. Definitely overdriven, but due to the adjustability of the POP I don't have to run 100% all of the time, so I will keep everything as is since it is so awesome now :D

Will

Last edited: