CREE Reliability, NICE!

*Retired*
I don't remember posting this before.

Did you know the CREE LED can take 1500 times the force of gravity in all concentrated in 0.0003 seconds, and the test involves doing it along six axis and five hits each?

Did you know the CREE LED can pass the salt spray corrosion test?

Did you know the CREE LED can be thermally shocked and pass, getting hit with -40 to +125 degrees Celcius, with a transfer time of less than 20 seconds, 200 times?

Did you know that they test samples out of every lot to assure they can pass RTOL (room temp testing), HTOL(high temp testing), and WHTOL(wet high temp testing)?

There are lots of more facts, found here:

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp_Reliability.pdf

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
But where are the Cree Lumen maintenance results... the true measure of reliability for LEDS in most applications. If there is someone from Cree reading with this, would they please post it... and make something official.

Thank You

*Retired*
SemiMan said:
But where are the Cree Lumen maintenance results... the true measure of reliability for LEDS in most applications. If there is someone from Cree reading with this, would they please post it... and make something official.

Thank You

You missed the paragraph, or did you forget to read the link?

Cree has accumulated operating data in excess of 18,000 hours. Using this data, long-term lumen maintenance can be projected. The method used for extrapolation is an exponential fit of the data from 1,000 hours until the end of the data set. Based on this method, XLamp LEDs are projected to have lumen maintenace of greater than 70% on average after 50,000 hours when used in accordance with published guidelines.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have followed the Cree LEDs for a while.

I purchased some 1 watt version in Feb 2005, and just recently 6 each 3 watt whites and 4 each of the 1 watt UVs.

The Cree package is a very nice one, and Cree has done an excellent job of really focusing on quality in every way. They have recognized the limitations of their early 1 watt parts, and fixed them, at least as far as I can tell.

From my perspective, it is a draw (as in even choice) on whether someone wants to use a Cree or Lumileds part in their product. For my 2 x CR2 light, I have designed the board to use either / both.

Reasons
- I want to be able to offer the UV version (which is not offered by LL)
- LL has had trouble delivering premium bin LEDs in the past, and I want a second source.
- It is likely that Cree and Lumileds will be driving each other forward, in the same way AMD and Intel did with their competition.
- I can buy small qtys of premium bin LEDs from the Cree distributor at a reasonable price.
- I can use either Lumileds or Cree, whichever offers me the best performance and price.
- I consider both products to be primarily Made in USA
- Since fewer people on CPF are buying from Cree, I don't have to fight them for premium bins

SemiMan

Banned
Perhaps I am missing something Newbie. I have read the reliability and understand that Cree states 50K hours, 30% down. However so do Nichia and even Seoul if you interpret the data at low die temperatures.

I may have missed it in their literature or it is new literature, but I did not see a die temperature quoted by Cree at which their Lumen maintenance applies.

I did find the comment that at 94C die temperature that the product life would be affected. However, I did not find a statement of what the die temperature is for which the 50K hours, 30% down was valid other than "recommended" operating parameters which I am not sure is ever stated for lumen maintenance.

Semiman

SemiMan

Banned
I was hoping I would get a reply. Does anyone know what die temperature that Cree's lumen maintenance spec is based on? Come on all you people singing Cree's praise. I would seriously consider using their LEDS in my products, but I can only do that based on solid, real, published data.

Semiman