Zenon = Xenon??

Empath

Flashaholic
I've noticed that Lumilite® makes some flashlights under the name Zenon®. Also I noticed a display of flashlight bulbs from Lumilite® with several of the bulbs being called Zenon® bulbs. I've been unable to locate any definitive specifications as to the nature of the bulb, whether Krypton, Halogen or Xenon. The term Zenon® looks suspiciously like a trademarked term for Xenon. Does anyone know for sure?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Xenon is a gas, not a tradename.
cool.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alex cooper:
Xenon is a gas, not a tradename.
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding?
rolleyes.gif

How about "Zenon"?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Isn't marketing wonderful! Zenon is a tradename and not a gas. Xenon cannot be used as a brand since it has fallen into common usage to describe Xenon gas filled lamps. However, it is amazing how many people mispell Xenon with a "Z". The marketing folks at Lumilite have cleverly picked up on this and branded a rubber flashlight range with "Zenon". Now they can put in any technology lamps they like (not necessarilly Xenon) and still call them Zenon. From one Marketing guy to another ... I take my hat off to the Marketing guy at Lumilite. This is almost good enough to make the inside backcover of Consumer Reports under "selling it"!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know, Xenon is an inert gaseous element and colorless gas.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Xenon (Xe)

Atomic number 54
Atomic weight 131.3

Relatively inert gaseous element. Found in the atmosphere as 9 stable isotopes at a ratio of 1 part xenon in 20,000,000 parts air, unless somebody has stomped on a flash camera or run over a flashlight nearby, causing bulb breakage.
smile.gif

Used primarily as fill for photographic flashlamps, and has shown increasing use in flashlight bulbs to slow the evaporation of tungsten filament material, allowing the filaments to be operated at higher temperatures. Automotive HID lamps also employ a xenon fill to provide immediate light before the metal halide component in the fill becomes active.

Xenon is normally stable and inert with 0 valence and is not toxic; however the compounds made from it are very strong oxidizers (highly corrosive) and are toxic.

Among the compounds of xenon now reported are sodium perxenate, xenon deuterate, xenon hydrate, difluoride, tetrafluoride, and hexafluoride. Xenon trioxide, which is highly explosive, has been prepared. More than 80 xenon compounds have been made with xenon chemically bonded to fluorine and oxygen. Some xenon compounds are colored. Metallic xenon has been produced, using several hundred kilobars of pressure.