Buying Bulbs w/o High Shipping Fees

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anywhere to buy 1 or 2 replacement bulbs, esp. SL, without having to pay the "usual" shipping charges of ~$6-7? It seems ridiculous to pay more in shipping than the cost of the bulb, esp. when the actual mailing cost is probably $.37!

Thanks for any suggestions.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Well, this isn't a specific answer, per se, but you could try sporting goods stores that sell SL. Calling them would probably save time and gasoline.

Try contacting SL as well. Also on their site is a list of authorized service centers. While they might not be able to repair all models, they may have the bulbs. The one here in Houston is a police supplier. Not sure what prices you'd get, because the service center here in Houston sold the TL-3 for a big price!

Also try entering your zip code in the "find a dealer" section of the SL site, then you get distance, and store names and numbers.

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never had much luck with bricks and mortar stores around here when it comes to flashlights, but 1 or 2 locally might sell bulbs. Worth checking.

Thanks again.

nc987

Enlightened
when the actual mailing cost is probably $.37!

well thats your problem right there, you beleive that it costs that cheap to ship. So in your mind they are ripping you off when in reality the shipping cost is about 3-4 dollars for the merchant and then add a minor handling fee of 2-4 bucks and thats why most places have prices of 4-8 dollars.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
$0.37 is for flat envelope which is machine scanable. So postage fee (not actual shipping cost) is more than that depending on weight and destination. Then add delivery confirmation, insurance, packaging labeling and handling. That's why no big difference for shipping of one bulb or several.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, gentlemen, for your insight. That said, any recommendations for a reputable online bulb supplier with reasonable prices and shipping fees?

Thanks again.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
Thank you, gentlemen, for your insight. That said, any recommendations for a reputable online bulb supplier with reasonable prices and shipping fees?

Thanks again.

Yes, try http://www.brightguy.com

If you are just buying small items such as bulbs Greg will or usually ask you if you would like it shipped in a flat(padded envelope) and from Ohio to here in Western Washington it cost I think around $2.50. Greg will usually ask you if you would like it shipped that way but if he forgets ask him...

Dave

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Great tip---thanks. I like doing business with Greg, and you gave me a another good reason to continue!

BTW, you are so right about the TL-3. Once I got a good lamp installed, it is a helluva little pocket rocket. I'm gonna have a blast with this one!

Andrew

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
Dave,

Great tip---thanks. I like doing business with Greg, and you gave me a another good reason to continue!

BTW, you are so right about the TL-3. Once I got a good lamp installed, it is a helluva little pocket rocket. I'm gonna have a blast with this one!

Andrew

Did you get your 17500's yet, that is when the fun really begins...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 2 strion bulbs from ebay seller "ashershahar" for $12.00. The shipping cost was unspecified. I contacted the seller and asked what the price would be to ship the 2 strion bulbs (for sale individually) and they told me $1.95! So, that's what I paid, $13.95 total! Not too bad, if you ask me. I think the seller gets SL bulbs periodically. He/she currently has an SL 10X, and a 35X bulb for sale with no shipping price specified. I've only bought from them once, but maybe they are consistant with their decent shipping prices.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really the best way to buy bulbs is to add them on when you are ordering another light. It's the most economical way to go.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

You bet---as soon as I saw for myself what a little flame thrower this is, I ordered my protected 17500s from AW. Looking forward to their arrival.

I also called Brightguy today and spoke with Tina. She said she would do Priority Mail for $3.85, so that seemed reasonable for a couple of lamps. Thanks again for that tip.

Trashman,

Thanks also for your ebay tip---I actually sent that guy an inquiry last night re shipping on his TL-3 bulbs. Hadn't heard back yet, so went ahead with Brightguy. Sounds like a good source, though.

Phaserburn,

You're quite correct about that, but unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm about "bought up" on new lights right now (famous last words!).

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Andrew :thanks:

Last edited:

amlim

Enlightened
Grox said:
Have pity for us in Australia.

maybe you can email brightguy to see if they can use the US$5 global priority envelope for overseas ? i guess it makes sense to order more bulbs to average down the shipping cost per bulb. :naughty:

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
If you use the bulb002 coupon code for bulbs or reflectors your shipping will be $3.85 from me. I don't have any SL bulbs though, only WA bulbs.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another ebay seller, buydesign7, also carries SL bulbs. I just picked up some SL TT1L bulbs (for Minimag :grin:) from them and the shipping was only $1.75. They had several other SL bulbs.

Latest posts