Streamlight TL-3 w/ Pila 150s tweak (pics)

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
streamlighttl3tailmodmedium4pq.jpg

In another thread I mentioned that you can use Pila 150s batteries in a Streamlight TL-3. Here are the instructions for the tweak.

1. Remove the tailcap, push the switch out
2. Then with a thin blade separate the plastic part #3 from the main switch #2. The place to insert the blade is thin and has those plastic pins you can see so move around if it won't go under easily.

2. Stick the part #3 in your parts drawer for future reference.

3. You're done

4. *might need* Twist the top coil on the spring tighter so that it fits better into the coil when compressed. On mine it stuck up slightly when compressed so I made it flush when compressed.

On my first attempt I sanded #3 until the Pilas would work #4. The problem was that the CR123s would not work. Apparently the difference in depth between the CR123s and Pilas doesn't compress the spring enough to touch the metal disk shown on #2. I only keep #3/#4 in a drawer if it is needed in the future but I don't see it being likely.

Also the Pelican M6 holster will fit this light if you take out the plastic bits in the bottom. You can also use Rip-offs for it. If you want the belt loop version of this holster not the clip on, substitute BL for CO. In this case a belt loop version would be BL-31.

I hope this helps you guys. If you've got any questions let me know.

-LT

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a technical writer, I give you a solid A for your directions and photos.

For the record, AW's protected 17500 cells work fine in an unmodded TL-3. In fact, at 175 lumens, the TL-3 may be the highest-output 2x17500 or 3x17500 light in which the AW protected 17500 cells will work.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to do the same mod to get AW's protected 17500 cells to work in my TL-3, I dunno why it works for others without the mod but not for me.

Good work LT.

Sigbjoern

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm guessing they changed some things in the light. This one is pretty old relatively. I probably should have just tried it w/o #3 first and saved my fingers from cramping when I sanded the thing down. :crazy:

Anyway it makes for a nice setup and is very easily done. It might make the TL-3 catch its second wind against some of the newer lights out there now. It really is quite svelte for its output.

-LT