Luxeon Thrower SHOOTOUT.......check out the beamshots

edison

Enlightened
tlso6si.jpg

The contenders. Every throwy light I own; other than a few spotlights. :grin2:

All beamshots were taken within minutes of each other with exactly the same camera settings. I picked through a box of new SF123 cells and found six that all measured 3.22V, and the Streamlight PP4AA was loaded with four new Rayovac cells measuring 1.6V each.

I was hoping for a more overcast sky to cut down on the ambient light, but the pictures turned out ok regardless. I added a control shot without any light source so you can see what the target looks like without illumination. You'll probably have to turn up the brightness on your monitor, especially if you're using a cheap one. Enjoy!

control3ji.jpg

Control: No illumination

pp4aa3ai.jpg

Streamlight PP Luxeon 4AA

kl3g23uu.jpg

Surefire 6P/KL3 Generation 2

p3wha2hh.jpg

Pelican 3W HA

hd45lb9ez.jpg

HD45 Low-beam

hd45hb9tk.jpg

HD45 High-beam

yekim

Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
Thanks. That HD45 is pretty impressive considering it's not supposed to be a throw monster.

-LT
I thought the $30 Sl PP was impressive against that group.

I noticed that the HD45 did alot more than light up the tree though, that looks like a heckuva light.

I'm new. don't mind me..

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's amazing how much light some of these throw.

Here's a minimag with a luxIII and madmax converter. Oh, it's got the head and reflector from a D cell Maglite.

turbomm10.jpg

The tree is a bit more than 300 feet away. Sorry about the light pollution.
turbomm11.jpg

The only extra light is the turbo minimag.
turbomm12.jpg

You just have to love big reflectors.

Daniel

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great comparison and shots. On my monitor at least I can clearly make out the differences in spot and spill between the lights. Would have been interesting to see the frankenmag in the comparison too;)

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the comparisons, especially between the HD45 and the PM6, as I have just purchased a PM6 HA, and it is currently enroute to be modified by MJ. So I had not turned it on for comparisons just reboxed and shipped it out.

doug

jtice

Flashaholic
Really nice shots !

Those are the kinda beamshots I like to see,
outdoors, with a nice target, but also with the ground, and objects to the side.

The HD45 looks great, it out threw, AND had nice bright spill light.

I would love to see a shot like this comparing the Aleph 3 and the HD45.

I reasantly go a SL 4AA Lux also, very impressive light for the $ and runtime.

~John

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican 3W M6 looked very impressive. Looks like it out threw everything but the HD45 on high.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Great shots! :thumbsup:
Thanx for the hard work!

Interesting to see the total lack of spill of the KL3 vs. the rest of the contenders.
Does anyone know the drive durrent and kind of regulation as well as bin of the LED in the Pelican?

I made a similar experience with the HD45 ... due to the extremely concentrated corona it is illuminating far more than just the hotspot. This one isn't the most beautiful light, but it is one hell of a performer outside.
And "not a throw-monster" is relative ... it has a higher lux-reading than the 38mm Aleph3, but it has especially a broader and softer hotspot.

Here is a 27mm LuxIII light at 1000mA T-bin:
HD4527mmoutside.jpg

... vs the HD45 950mA U-bin:
HD45outside.jpg

NewBie ... the unit is looking like this:
HD45small.jpg

... ans is Don's lates project. You can have a look at the "FAQ-Sticky" in the McGizmo Forum to learn more.

bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDISON, which light do you prefer? And how much does the HD cost?

I think when it comes to output per inch, the PM6 3W has a postive edge.... (correct me if I'm wrong). EDIT: Never mind, the HD isnt that big, but the Pelican clocks in at second place.

-David

Last edited:

edison

Enlightened
Firebladz said:
damn thats just nuts!!!

are you sure that the target in the beamshots is 40M away? It just doesn't look that far away but then again photos can be very deceptive... :goodjob:

Firebladz.

Earlier today I went back and paced it off in the daylight. 47m on the way out to the building and 46m from there back to the car. I agree that it doesn't look that far in the pictures, that's probably why my estimate was slightly short.

Thanks for reminding me Lunal_Tic, I was bound to forget something. Target distance is definitely important for anyone trying to make comparisons with their own lights.

This location is the only close and convenient place for me to do beamshots, and this is the second time I've done them there. If I repeat the exercise in the future, I'll do the beamshots at an even 50m.

Here is a similar thread that I posted before I owned the new KL3 and the PP Lux if anyone is interested. I've learned the settings on my camera better since then.