Luxeon vs L.E.D.'s Which is better?

Robt

Newly Enlightened
I read messages about flashlights with LED's or Luxeons. I know "nothing" about luxeons. I'm thinking about buying one of those dynamo "crank jobs" when my batteries are dead, but which is better as a crank job, the LED's or the Luxeons? Are Luxeons "brighter" than a LED? Do the Luxeon's drain the electricity faster ( from the dynamo) faster than LED's? I really don't know anything about flashlights with Luxeon bulbs. Never own one YET!

YOu dudes who own both LED' flashlights and Luxeons, please tell me the difference between the two kinds. I have bought at Radio Shack one of those 15 minute chargers that takes only AA size batteries. What brand of flashlights are there that uses AA batteries that power Luxeon bulbs? A good idea.. I also need info about the "crank dynamo" battery free ( but there is a couple of AA Ni-cads inside) lights.... Robert.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so you know, Luxeons are high-flux LEDs - they put out a lot more light than a 5mm LED will, but require more power to do so. Most every crank-light I know of uses 5mm LEDs, since they'll run off less current than the Luxeon-based lights will, and they tend to produce less heat.

If you want a Luxeon-based light using AAs, look at the Fenix L1P or Fenix L1, available in the B/S/T Lights forum, or one of the cheap Costco 2AA's.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the use, Luxeons are great for high powered stuff, but
require more power, on the other hand if you only want a small light
ie keychain light or similar the 5 mil led would be more suited as
they require a lot less power and they are less expensive and don't
require a heat sink. In my eye they are both equal

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Say Lunal Tic, I click on that 5mm vs luxeon or equivalent and read all the info there. It's very helpful and gives me insight what to purchase. One thing though, at Rite Aid they have a dynamo crank job for $19.95 and at C. Crane Radio they have a similar device that looks like a radio with a light and a extra feature so one can power a cell phone. That goes for $49.95, but is now on sale. The crank job at Rite Aid is shaped like a flashlighte and it's called Vextra model: VX0070 and it has a carrying handle and a antenna that pulls out. I was checking it out and notice in the battery dept that there's already 2 AA Ni-Cads inside. Don't know if the bulbs are Luxeons or not. I winded it up in the store for 1 minute and notice some brightness. I'm tempted to buy it, but not yet till i get some more info about these crank jobs. Doesn't say anywhere in the brochure or on the device if it's made out of ABS Plastic or not. That's stuff material , in case one were to DROP IT!!! What U guys think of this Vextra? Anyone have one of these?

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Say, Haesslich

Exactly WHERE at the B/S/T Lights forum do i "click" my computer mouse on? I can't stay on the computer all night cause i have to WORK in the a.m.!!! Thanks... also, any other flashlights that take AA batteries that have those more powerful Luxeon bulbs? the ones you talked about? appreciate the info, bro...

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Robt,

I have yet to see a kinetic light using a Luxeon. I have a NightStar, 3 LED crank light, single led squeeze light, and a radio/light/charger combo. While the crank lights are easier to charge they are not as bullet proof as the NightStar. None of these lights would be my primary light but if you are looking for something that will hold up in the worst conditions and still be able to provide some light, go with the NightStar (not a knock-off). Be aware that nearly all "shake type" lights suffer from an image problem because of the manner in which you charge them. They actually recommend horizontal shaking not vertical.

If you are looking for a multitasking light get the radio version but understand that most things that have several functions tend not to be stunning performers at any one task.

Good luck on your choice.
-LT

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robt said:
Say, Haesslich

Exactly WHERE at the B/S/T Lights forum do i "click" my computer mouse on? I can't stay on the computer all night cause i have to WORK in the a.m.!!! Thanks... also, any other flashlights that take AA batteries that have those more powerful Luxeon bulbs? the ones you talked about? appreciate the info, bro...

Click on the 'sell' link in there, or go to the Dealer's Corner. LITEmania is currently shipping Fenix L1P's right now as well, and JSBurly's may still have a few in stock. Otherwise, you could try one of the Dorcy lights - the Super 1 Watt ones, to be precise. Check out Target or Wal-Mart for the Metal Gear ones, which are pretty sturdy.