Newbie seeking advice (fenix or Arc; rechargables)

J

JohnyKwst

Can I use NIMH rechargables in the Fenix L1P or Arc AAA? Does the Fenix have a circuit regulator to control output similar to what the arc has? Other lights I should look into? Thanks.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, NiMH, e2 lithium, and regular alkaline works in Fenix and Arc AAA. Yes Fenix has a boost regulator similar to the Arc.

They are both great lights (I have both) but unless you need absolute smallest size I'd recommend the Fenix L1P -- it's a far more powerful light and is still quite compact.

J

JohnyKwst

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to ask how the quality of the fenix compares to Arc? From what I've read Arc seems to be over very high quality whereas the fenix is made in china. How does the fenix compare to the Arc-LS? Can I still buy an LS short of a used one?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is very good quality -- no concerns there. Arc-LS is out of production. Closest current production light is the HDS EDC line: http://www.hdssystems.com/

HDS is a great light but expensive. The variable output is very practical. I have a U60.

But less than 1/3 the HDS price you can't beat the Fenix for a very compact and bright general purpose light. The Fenix beam quality and mechanical quality is very good. I'd personally get the L1P, not the base L1 model.

chrisse242

Enlightened
When it comes to a single level, luxeon1 light, I'd prefer the fenix, even if I could get a new arc ls at the same price. If you want a single level, cr123 light, have a look at the lights made by peak led solutions. The times of the arc ls are gone.

Chrisse

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
JohnyKwst: the standard advice on CPF: Buy them both!

The Arc AAA is bulletproof, and very small. It will serve you well on your keychain, and is small and inobtrusive enough that you will likely carry it everywhere. No flashlight will do you any good if you left it at home when you need it.

The Fenix is small, but a bit too large for keychain carry. It is much brighter than the Arc AAA, and throws a *lot* farther (the Arc is more of a close-range flood light). The build quality is good, but it's too new to assess long-term durability. For what it's worth, I let my 3 year old son play with my Fenix, and he's been very rough with it, with no noticable ill effects on the light (other than a couple scares when he disassembled it, put the battery in backwards, etc. Nothing that couldn't easily be fixed.)

The Fenix L1P's beam compares very favorably with my Arc LSs. Actually, I prefer the Fenix, since the Arc LS used an optic (as opposed to a reflector), and the hotspot appears square. It's not a functional issue, but I find it aesthetically odd.

I agree with Chrisse that if I had to choose between a Fenix L1P and an Arc LS, I would go with the Fenix even if the cost were equal (geez, I paid about 2.5 times for an Arc LS three years ago as I did for the Fenix). The main reason for my preference is the ability to use readily available AA batteries, as opposed to CR123s.

Everyone has different preferences, however, and I would say most CPFers would prefer the Arc LS because of sentiment, and the cool factor.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix and Arc AAA are completely different beasts (as has been mentioned), so if you want something that's good at close range but still has some kick, definitely take a look at Peak's McKinley (123A) and Kilimanjaro-7 (1xAA).

J

JohnyKwst

I went ahead and ordered a Fenix! Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to eventually need an Arc AAA for my keychain. :devil: