Bulb life of Strion?

Santa

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at getting myself a Strion as an everyday light, but my only concern is that the Bulb will have to be replaced on a regular basis. Being rechargable, if I were to use it for 20mins a day, and recharge it every 3rd or 4th day, how often would I have to replace the Bulb? I am guessing every 5 hours, and it would then really make the flashlight a bit expensive to use all the time. I could also get a Kr1/Kr2 rechargeable kit for the g2/6p for a bit less money. Which would be the better option, as I believe the SF bulbs should last much longer.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure of the exact bulb life, but I'm really quite sure it's much longer than 5 hours. At 5 hours, which would be an AVG value, the light wouldn't be even remotely reliable, and that is not it's reputation.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Strion, and it's a great light. Impressive throw for such a little, easily recharged light. Nice steady brightness, too.

An email to Streamlight will give you the specific answer you're looking for. If you do this, please post the answer back here; I'd be interested.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two STrions, both over a year old. One was one of the first production pieces, and I haven't had to change a bulb, yet.

-dan

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
Same here, I have two, one on my belt and one in the truck on a charger to swap out after several service calls. Had them nearly a year, just as bright as ever. As for cost of replacement,6p-9p bulbs cost nearly 15-20 bucks a piece, life is approx 20 hours. The Strions are 5 bucks, and there is already a spare in the tailcap. Don't know what the approx life is supposed to be, but still going strong. These aren't minimag bulbs that last five minutes before dimming.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, it's not the MM bulb that makes it dim so quickly, it's the alkaline batteries that cannot maintain their voltage and current. While the Strion's bulb is certainly rated much higher than the Mag bulb, it's the li-ion battery that produces it's more consistent and constant brightness.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightBright said:
What happens when the LiIon cell gets down to 3V, does the flashlight just turn off, or??

Yes, it shuts off. But, there is a period or warning when the bulb starts to dim noticeably before this occurs.

LightBright

Enlightened
How much warning do you get, approximately?

This "don't take the cell much lower than 3V" issue is quite a flashlight design challenge, because unlike primary cell batteries and even Nicad and NiMH, LiIons are finicky about it.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Litghbright, theres no need to worry about the battery, it has a built in low voltage cutout. Just be careful to notice the dimming before the light switch off itself. Good choice for a rechargable incan that can be stored up to 1 year without worrying of the self dischg of the nicn and nimh chemistry batts. Another choice to look at is the Innova T4 if u can accept the bigger size n LED.