LRI Proton coming soon

Haz

Enlightened
Reading the post on the photonlights discussion board, it appears the much awaited Proton is coming soon, possibly in the next 1 to 2 months.

The final configuration is 6 whites, and 1 red, opting against using a single LED and a reflector.

Does anyone know anymore about this?, ie regulated, water resistant, brightness, size? etc

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a month or 2 for half a year now. It will show up when it shows up. Design seems to be almost but not quite done. They still have to put together an assembly line.
I think most CPFers have given up on the Proton for 2005 and spent their money on the Fenix L1P.

ChrisA

Enlightened
I think most CPFers have given up on the Proton for 2005 and spent their money on the Fenix L1P.

yupp, fenix and hds...
grinser2.gif

chris

mykall

Enlightened
I wouldn't hold my breath. The project is do-able
but would require a single Lux (sort o' like Fenix).

Waiting on Nichia, which I believe in output and color
is far behind Lumileds, is futile. if they(Nich) do produce
a led with these "amazing" characteristics that LRI
is hoping for, the Proton won't in any way be unique
as others will quickly jump on the bandwagon. By that
time Lumi will have Leds far beyond that capacity.

Have no idea why LRI is so closely tied to Nichia. Sure
they use their leds exclusively in their keychain lights
etc but other manufacuturers use both depending on
the app. Why not LRI?

I just wouldn't hold my breath on the Proton.

MB

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read the (2) threads on the Photon message boards, Bryan talks about how the only way David (the president of LRI) could use a luxeon is if they were hand selected for brightness (which is more or less what is going on with the Fenix L1P). LRI would need to use a 3rd party to select the LEDs, which is cost prohibitive for them. They feel they can get a consistant and bright result using the CS clusters and that the 5mm LEDs require less power so they can be used with any type of AA battery. Bryan also stated that he has whitnessed a pretty much final build, less the removable belt clip and packaging. Runtime on high is approx 45 minutes and increased substancially at lower levels (he estimated days on the red alone).

It seems like the folks at LRI are going for brightess and versatility with this one, irrespective of tint or beam pattern (which makes sense given the market as a whole).
I expect that high will produce quite a wall of light (an L4 type beam) with little throw.

So once again, we hear "a month or two" but this time it actually sounds like real progress is being made. Once cool thing is that David will probably offer the light without packaging as soon as its ready for us folks ;) that can't wait.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
LRI, if you are monitoring this thread, know that I would like to order one ASAP!

Variable output, uses single AA of any type, water tight (please...), and a red LED for us military types? Yeah, you have a customer here!

The nice thing about using 5mm LED's: the light will be "forward compatible" so as LED's continue to improve, they can be swapped into the Proton.

Adam

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If LRI could get a Luxeon K2 SWAG (57-67 lumens at 350mA and average voltage of 2.9v forward voltage) At 350mA it would be driven at one watt and put out 60 lumens. It can be done with low voltage K2 S rank Luxeons so the wait is one for that grade to appear.

My two Fenix L1P's will keep me going until then... no need or desire to get an LRI until the Luxeon or Jupiter LEDs go inside. Don't need no blue swirly beam of nastiness and don't want overdriven LEDs. I do want the variable output and the two variable output red LEDs though.

For now, an Arc AAA red running NiMH AAA batteries gives me the low output I need and my Mediterranean 2AA gives me bombproof reliability, brightness, runtime and inexpensive rechargable batteries that are used as EDC. The Fenix is a suppliment and a backup light to my primary Peak EDC lights when I go back to the desert.

If LRI eventually comes out with a Luxeon/Jupiter version with red LEDs, I will view it with a critical eye and see how the switch performs before buying one. In June, July or August I would of jumped at it but the flashlight world moves along and my requirements are pretty much filled. The Proton would just be convienient but I can live without it.

If it comes out and has optional HA-III, I might pick one up. By then, Peak, Arc, Inova and Fenix will be either first or hot on their heels. If I was a betting man, I would say the mentioned manufacturers already have prototypes stashed away waiting for the K2.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
From someone who has been holding his breath for the Proton ...... :) ..... http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90694&highlight=proton

I've spent my money on a bunch of PALights and Fenix :D

Oh and a pre-order of the upcoming, even smaller, Orb RAW :D

If the Proton does arrive (before the 22nd century :)) I'd be waiting for reviews and feedback before I do the usual CPF tactic of buying 199 in a group buy !

I think the Proton will have to be something VERY special ..... just to make up for all the broken promises ...... !!!

Last edited:

mykall

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
By then, Peak, Arc, Inova and Fenix will be either first or hot on their heels. If I was a betting man, I would say the mentioned manufacturers already have prototypes stashed away waiting for the K2.

This is kind of the point I've been trying to make. Furthermore, all these
companies have not only more experience with these types of lights but
they also have their own manufacturing onsite (actually...not sure about
Arc). Anyway, this is huge when it comes to developing anything.

I wonder how LRI intends to make that Caribbean sized Proton a six-led
light? So much for the original bezel profile!

MB

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about the size as well, cramming that many leds in a head that goes on an AA body. I wonder if it will to top heavy and look like a mini-Surefire turbo.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
The Photon forum mentions a last minute addition of a removable belt-clip :)

Maybe I could stretch to buying one of these after all :D (looks at belt-clip-less Fenix :()

Perfectionist

Enlightened
P.S. Anybody got an idea of the dimensions of the Proton ? .... Is it bigger or smaller than a Fenix ??

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfectionist said:
P.S. Anybody got an idea of the dimensions of the Proton ? .... Is it bigger or smaller than a Fenix ??
The prototype is 92mm by 16mm, and the production model will probably be similar.

LRIProton.jpg

Perfectionist

Enlightened
More info on the Proton from the LRI forum ......

As for the specs, here's the preliminary numbers. Of course, final specs are subject to change but this should be pretty close. Total power draw at full brightness is 1.5W (1.3 amps drawn from the single AA), but some of that power goes to power the electronics so the LEDs don't see the entire 1.5W. Overdriven, the Nichia LEDs should be putting out about ~42Lm/W, which works out to approximately 59 Lumens @ ~250Cd from the 6 Nichia LEDs. In comparison, Luxeons end up at around ~30Lm/W plus a 20% loss from the reflector & lens cover. That works out to about 75% more light output from the 6 Nichias compared to a similarly powered Luxeon.

I should also note that the 45 minute run time is 45 minutes at *full brightness*, before the light begins to dim. David's been using 2500mah Energizer NiMH batteries for the tests so expect alkalines to give an extra 17% or so. Also, I don't know the details about exactly how the voltage control circuit works, but if it's anything like the Fusion, then Lithium AAs may be able to push the brightness up even higher.

Apparently the NiMH work better in this application than alkalines, so alkalines may not actually give much increased run-time over the NiMH after all. I have also been told that lithium AAs (with their higher voltage) should give a 20% boost in brightness over the NiMH. That would push light output up to nearly 71 Lumens @ 300Cd.

(Available) Within the next month or two. That's the closest estimate I have at the moment.

:D

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds more exciting by the minute. One question/concern though: I know the CS LEDs are good at taking a beating in terms of being overdriven, but this light sounds like it works them to the limit. Could someone tell me how overdriven the LEDs are in this light on high, compared to, say, an Arc AAA (I've seen the graph of the CS at Arc drive levels).

My only other concern/complaint is that, without knowing for sure, I expect the beam will have lots of annoying blue swirls. I'm not much into white wall hunting, but for such a versatile EDC such as the Proton has the potential to be, I'd like the low levels to be useful and comfortable to use for reading and I sort of doubt that will be possible (at least for long term comfortable use).

Even so, that efficiency and brightness info is very promising and I'm sure that if things go as planned, the Proton will prove to be a VERY popular light.