Mag 3D simple upgrade

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several 3D Mags for years now and was looking to make one useful. I think, for me, I have found the ticket. total cost: $65. Since I already owned the light the upgrade alone was $45.

The Mag 3D was around $20. First I purchased and installed a Terralux DB-3W drop in bulb ($37) and then I ordered an LDF Borofloat lens from Flashlightlens.com ($8).

If you adjust the bezel just right you get a night smooth flood light that illuminates a wide area in front of you. It is very useful for most tasks with only minimal artifacts.

If I was starting from scratch I would probably not have spent $65 for this particular setup but it is now useful and should give a pretty good runtime. The LEDmuseum review gives it 2 hrs 20 mins to 50%.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I too have a Mag-Lite 3D with the same LED drop-in replacement but with the UCL lens. On this one though, I wanted more of a flood than throw. Since I have this clear lacquer paint lying around, I misted the lens and the stock reflector until I got the desired effect. Finally arrived at a huge solid spill/flood with no artifacts/distortion/ugly spots and black holes and no hotspot—[did I say "no hotspot"? I meant smoothly uniformed hotspot]—you may call it a huge solid even light that puts out a lot for what I intended it for.

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im in the same boat right now. I too have a Mag 3D ready to modify. For now im sticking with incan. So I ordered a new lens, stock reflector and a 6D krypton bulb. Im going to use 3 cr 123's in it. Should get some really good output. Maybe after Xmas, I may do an O sink and Luxeon mod.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUQ said:
I too have a Mag 3D ready to modify. ... Im going to use 3 cr 123's in it.

Use a Mag 2C instead if you are using that battery setup. Using it in a 3D is ridiculous.

Sigbjoern

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well im just modding a light that I already have. I use it at work for doing equipment checks on the roof. I scale 20 ft ladders to get to the stuff so it does fall from height once and a while. I added a Mag 2C to my Xmas list ;) Its going to be modded with a Luxeon.