Hummer light mods

hquan

Enlightened
I bought a Hummer light from the Sharper image (before stumbling onto this forum) - it's one of those shake lights. The light is a pretty weak 1 led.. Any tips on SIMPLE mods (such as changing the bulb) that would improve the light? I'm mainly looking for improving the output - throw is not important. It's meant to be used only in emergencies - changing a tire at night, etc (where throw isn't as important). But the light is barely passable for these tasks.

Here's the link:
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails/sku__DK013PEW

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
Others here might say different, but that shake light says you get 5 minutes of light. The only mod I can suggest is putting batteries in it. :ironic:

Really, anything you do will drain it even faster. Not worth it IMHO. Return it, or keep nearby as an emergency flashlight to help find your way to a REAL flashlight.

The time, energy and money is better spent someplace else.

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you can find a more efficient 5 mm LED, that's be a viable option. I'm not sure how much more efficient the 35k, or the new Nichia CS's are compared to other types of 5mm LED's.

hquan

Enlightened
I've tested it and I can get way more than 5 min of light - closer to 10 min. The light does get very dim at 10 min. but some brief shaking restores it. I didn't know if replacing the bulb with a brighter LED would provide more light. I don't mind needing to shake it every few minutes if the light was better.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
hquan said:
I bought a Hummer light from the Sharper image (before stumbling onto this forum) - it's one of those shake lights. The light is a pretty weak 1 led.. Any tips on SIMPLE mods (such as changing the bulb) that would improve the light? I'm mainly looking for improving the output - throw is not important. It's meant to be used only in emergencies - changing a tire at night, etc (where throw isn't as important). But the light is barely passable for these tasks.

Here's the link:
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails/sku__DK013PEW
I lucked out and found a laser engraved Hummer Mag light on Ebay.This light came out some kind of breakdown kit. It was a silver 2D and I modded it for my brother since he owns a hummer.

Last edited:

hquan

Enlightened
Nitroz - I think that your light is very different than the light I'm talking about... For 1 thing, my light is plastic, doesn't use batteries, and isn't a mag light...

hquan

Enlightened
Moderator - move thread?

Moderator - since the light is a LED and I'm asking LED questions, should this thread be moved to the LED forum? Thanks!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Moderator - move thread?

hquan said:
Moderator - since the light is a LED and I'm asking LED questions, should this thread be moved to the LED forum? Thanks!
It is different. And much brighter also. The shake light are not as good as they sound at all.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Moderator - move thread?

only thing is to put a nichia CS in it, that might boost the output some... the NichiaCS is really efficient led.

hquan

Enlightened
Where can i get the NichiaCS? How much do they run? Do I need to worry about heat build up? Please remember that I'm new at all this - so anything outside of changing a bulb will be beyond my current skills...

The shake lights are great IF you're in an emergency, have no other light source, and don't need a lot of light... Like in an extended power failure.