Help Me Resist the Temptation

kukula

Enlightened
Ever since I joined CPF some three weeks ago, I have bought so many flashlights, more than I need. I got myself 2 SF A2, 1 SF M6, and 1 SF U2. My wife thinks I am crazy for spending all that dough for lights:ironic: And now I volunteer to walk the dog at nights, to jog at night, to do anything to find an excuse to use my lights. Over the past couple of days, I am again sensing the "urge", to get me a new lights, specifically the Gladius. And all those DARPA talk is making me drool with excitement. Heck if it were available now I would get one in a heartbeat. Is this "addiction" normal? Please give me some reasons on how I shouldnt get anymore lights. I need to control this urge before its too late :ohgeez:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
kukula said:
I got myself 2 SF A2, 1 SF M6, and 1 SF U2. . . .

Whoa. You don't mess around much, do you. Just get the Gladius. You're too far gone ;)

Scott

rackness

Newly Enlightened
yes it is an addiction, unfortunatly as a support group we suck!! we all have the same problem. you may want to hide you wallet from yourself but that will only slow the disease there is no cure. :x

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Aahahahahaha. Someone with it worse than I have it. Rather than the Gladius I recommend the HDS 85. And then you need a 9P with and an E1L and a KL4 bezel. Im trying to help, really ;)

CLHC

Flashaholic
It's been said that it takes 21 days to form a habit (make or break good or bad) and you mentioned that you've been here for 3 weeks! Well that's 21 days! Might as well go with the flow. . .Around here you can't stop at one, two, three, four. . .lights—it goes on and on. . .

Enjoy Your Illuminating Experience Here @ CandlePowerForums! ! !

E

Emilion

You need a HDS U60 at least, 85 is of cos better....that will bring you back your health and wealth...well, for a week. This works on me, and then I bought 2 SF A2 and going to get a G2Z now....

If you can afford a M6, U2, 2 x A2 in the beginning, I'm sure you'll have no problem for another U85 AND the Gladius.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
kukula said:
Ever since I joined CPF some three weeks ago, I have bought so many flashlights, more than I need. I got myself 2 SF A2, 1 SF M6, and 1 SF U2.

Well, I'd say those are all needed lights! I'm not so sure about the need for 2 A2's, but you must have your reasons (and I'm sure they're good ones). I don't see any tiny 1-cell pocket lights in your collect, though. What if you're going out and don't want a big light in your pocket? I know, the A2 probably fits just fine, but don't you think you need something smaller that will just disappear in your pocket and yet still give you that sense on being prepared?

E

Emilion

Trashman said:
Well, I'd say those are all needed lights! I'm not so sure about the need for 2 A2's, but you must have your reasons (and I'm sure they're good ones). I don't see any tiny 1-cell pocket lights in your collect, though. What if you're going out and don't want a big light in your pocket? I know, the A2 probably fits just fine, but don't you think you need something smaller that will just disappear in your pocket and yet still give you that sense on being prepared?
Yes, absolutly! You need at least 2, or maybe 3 or even more of those little lights. ARC-P, Peak solution's, JIL, RAW, HDS.......

kukula

Enlightened
Actually the HDS EDC 85GT is also on my list. Unfortunately most sites dont have it available till the mid of November. At least I cant do anything about it:thinking: As for the A2s, I first got the current release version. Then as I was browsing the site I saw Kevins post on the black HA version. I thought that one looks better. Hmmmmm. So I decided to get one and gave the former to my wife telling her she needs it with her work (shes a phsyician) lol. As for the Gladius, well I kept telling myself I dont need it since in a way its alot like my U2, but then again something inside me keeps yelling No! Its different. Just think of the many wonderful times you can play with that rotary switch. :naughty: Oh well :ironic:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Yeah, we are a bad support group. Kinda like a reverse AA, or anti-AA! Maybe we need a Flashaholics anonymous sub forum wherein "buy both" and all such phrases are banned, as well as all talk of lights, other than resisiting them? :grin2:

"I'm weak, Hank" Dale Gribble - King of the Hill. I feel like that. Look at my signature lights. Other than standard Mags (and the Brownings, et all the more mundane ones), all of them since August 25, 2005! And more on the way not listed, as well as some on lists here that will come some day soon!

If you are serious, try 1-800-NOFLASH! I'll answer on the first ring! But I'll use my HDS U60 to find the phone, because I can't pay the electric bill anymore! :candle: :crackup: :nana:

Nope, it's not a real number. I hope no one calls it. I'll edit out if this is trouble, or the mods will do it.

Buy both! Or in this case, buy two. The Gladius comes in four colors, and if you add the HAIII black, that's five choices. OD HA III is coming, or may be here already! :sssh:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Do what your wife says. Get off the computer, pack the lights in a box and send them to me. It won't make you feel any better, but I'll be happy. :nana:

Now, seriously, don't go spending more than you can afford just 'cuz it's the coolest hobby on Earth :D Flashaholics don't need upset partners. Buy her a Fenix to get her started. :D

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
kukula,

Do not listen to everybody, they are giving bad advice. Do not buy "A" Gladius.
It comes in 4 colors, YOU NEED ALL OF THEM. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
That way you can tell me which color works best.
That is really the only fair Gladius comparison in my opinion
Black vs Green vs Tan vs Sniper Grey
It is just too different to compare directly with other lights.
I think most guys here will only help you get more flashlights. :D:D:D
Telling us about your lights and asking us to help you stop is not even like preaching to the choir. It is like preaching to the "unrepentant sinners" pew in the back of the church. Maybe it is not all that bad, most of us are probably back there praying, FOR THE SUN TO GO DOWN!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup::crackup: :crackup: :crackup::crackup: :crackup: :crackup::crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Regarding the Gladius, one of my favorite features is just how dim and directional the low level is. This last summer I was at a camp at the YMCA of the Rockies. I am from Southern California and my roomate was from New York. Every night he would go to sleep about 3 hours before me. With the Gladius on low I was able to illuminate my immediate surroundings without lighting up the rest of the room with reflected light. Not even my little single 5 mm LED's do this as well. With the Gladius the light was right where I needed it and not anywhere else. The very little reflected light that there was could be easily directed away from my roomate.
When I walk out of the room one quick tap and the light was bright again.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

E

Emilion

Emilion said:
You need a HDS U60 at least, 85 is of cos better....that will bring you back your health and wealth...well, for a week. This works on me, and then I bought 2 SF A2 and going to get a G2Z now....

If you can afford a M6, U2, 2 x A2 in the beginning, I'm sure you'll have no problem for another U85 AND the Gladius.
Ooops...

Just come back with G2Z......and a KL6....

TorchMan

Enlightened
If he can find all of the four colors in Cerakote, plus one in HAIII black, that's five he needs. Not to mention if it's availible in HAIII OD yet, that'd be six. C'mon guys, don't limit him to "just" four!

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
I think you should try the HID. After getting my 10W HID, I bought a 24W and a 35W within a month. Now I 'm trying to get my hands on a 50W and it's breaking my record on Luxeon lights purchase. Getting from 400 lumens to 1800 lumens and 3200 lumens is pure high, I wish I can taste that high on the 50W real soon.

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
You want us to help you with your flashligfht buying problem ?!
crackup.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

dedhorse.gif

I sympathise with you and your wife !

Sadly, as a physician, I must tell you it is a terminal (anode or cathode......you decide) case. I'm sure your wife will concur if you need a second opinion.
grinser2.gif

Look at the bright side;
au.gif

1) Flashlights are useful emergency preparedness and safety devices.
2) You could be spending your money on booze or gambling
happy23.gif
drunk.gif

3) Flashlight money is not money lost, it's money invested ! (God knows there are enough of us crazies here willing to take your stock off your hands at a reasonable discount at any time !)
evilgrin07.gif

4) Call one a "diagnostic light" and tell your wife to deduct it !
naughty.gif

5) You never know when the next big blackout is coming.
sick2.gif

That said, I also have noticed the conspicous absence of small pocketable lights in your collection.
mad71.gif
whoopin.gif
twak.gif

You need a Fire~Fly (Doug Speck), a Firefli (the hearing aid battery light JS Burly sells), a RAW, A couple of POP modded Jil's, an Arc AAA, and then you need to bulk out your midsize collection with some Aleph's, a McLux PD, an HDS, then you can start your Big-Light collection with a couple of modded Mags, and at least one HID spotlight of some variety (your preference)
aaa.gif

That's a good start for your first 3 weeks. Good luck, and welcome aboard !
wink2.gif
grouphug.gif