please someone expalin india to me

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok my new dr is from there she been my doc like 3 months or so.but i wonder about her.i wanna know about there culture.is it like the type a country where women are not treated good.cause i wonder how she got to be a dr/ i just wanna make sure she has a good school degree

rackness

Newly Enlightened
i don't know much about india but i am in and out of hospitals daily (EMT) and my wife works at a hospital (nurse).

most doc's that practice here (US) were educated here(US) there are exceptions obviously.

there are imho some hack doc's running around but their culture is not a factor in their ability to administer care.

check out your doc's credentials if you are concerned about her, or if you have a question just ask her (in a sensible manner) you may be surprised how approachable and open to your curiosities doctors can be. your questions are not the worst thing they have been asked/ called or told i can promise you that.

good luck :) !

jmy808

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you google India? I think that would be a good way to start your research.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i already did google it.but i didnt get much info that is why i asked here .i did learn there mostly hindu and they have lots a coal

drizzle

Enlightened
Well, I can tell you a few things raggie. These are not from any real special knowledge; just what I've picked up over the years.

It's commonly thought to be a Hindu country but a very large minority of the people are of the Islamic faith.

They have a long tradition of academic excellence, especially in math and science. I'm not sure about how available those opportunities are to women but I have personally worked with several very well educated Indian women in highly technical computer jobs.

For those that are priveleged to be able to attend, the school system is based on the British system as a hold-over from when the British ruled there. This is one reason why English is very commonly spoken by the well educated.

There has been a caste system in the culture which has predetermined by birth whether someone would have access to education and opportunities in the workplace and in society. I *think* that it is less now but I'm not sure about that.

-------
I guess that's about it for starters. Please, anyone correct me where I have it wrong or expand where you can.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first cousins are Indian (my aunt married an Indian man and raised their kids there) and I went to India for a month a few years ago. My impressions are (and this is only my perception of course) as follows:

There is very little middle class in India. Even more so than the states, India consists of haves and have nots. It only costs something like $2 a day to have an unskilled (uneducated) servant at your beck and call, so someone with a middle class amount of money in the western world would live like a king in India- $6 a day for 3 full time servants (driver, cook/housekeeper, gardener, etc.).

Women are not treated poorly as a rule, but it is a patriarical society. Men generally are taken care of by the women (although I did see several families in which women seemed to wear the pants- just like here). Arrainged marriage (where the parents choose the bride and groom without the individuals knowing each other well before hand) is still fairly common, although there is a westernized backlash (among younger generations) to it.

Many (mostly wealthier) Indians are acheivement oriented in terms of their education and career. Most Indians working in the US as doctors and engineers come from upper class families, and the education is comprable (or even better) than that of the US. Gender doesn't factor into it as much as wealth and status.

I'm just speaking in gross generalities here, but I do belive there is some truth to them.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I live in a "bedroom community" near Silicon Valley. As such we have a higher than average number of Indian citizens living here. Many came here on an H1B visa (work visa for a specific job that can not be filled by locals) to work on software during the DotCom boom, but stayed after the job was finished after having children here.

I can't say much for the education of the IT workers. I've had to train most of the ones that worked for me since they had schooling but no practical experience. The schooling was often inadequate for the field in which they were working. The doctors and nurses have been a mixed bag, just like everyone else. Some were inept and some are quite good. They get their degree in India and pass a test here and they are licensed to practice medicine.

If you have questions, ask for the schools she attended. You should be able to look for information about those schools on the web.

Daniel

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Indian friend and co-worker as well as his wife are both electrical engineers with Masters degrees. His sister is a medical doctor. I know that in his religion (Hinduism?), he believes in reincarnation. I know he also does not eat meat, I don't know if it is part of the religion or a personal choice. I know he is quite a spiritual man and goes off on meditation retreats from time to time. When the Tsuami hit and of course did devasting damage to the east coast of India, I asked him if he had any family or personal friends in danger there. He said no and basically stated that mostly the poor, fisherman and maybe tourist workers lived there, the more well to do lived inland or on the West coast because of the weather dangers. His English is very good. There is the accent but very understandable with a complete command of the english language. So from what I read here, his heritage must come from the India upper class.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are fewer and fewer folks getting trained in medicine in this country that then want to practice here. As long as their communication skills are good then I wouldn't worry too much about her not having been to an American med school. The biggest problem I see is with communication. If they can't speak or understand what you're saying to them then they can't really be a good doc. And unfortunately there are many who may have passed medschool and the tests in the US and also gotten a fellowship or internship that just still can't really talk to their english speaking patients!

If you're happy with being to understand her and making her understand the meaning of what you're saying (and not just the words, much of communication is about cultural references and subtle cues that you dont get from an english as a second language night school class, but only from living here for a while) then there is no more to worry about her medicine skills than any other doc you might get.

You should ask her where she went to school, it would be interesting to look it up and see.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
james she dont speak clear english at all .and i always feel uncomfertable asking her to repeat her self.and what even bothers me more is she wont let me record are conversation she says no recording devices .i said ok but i think to self why not its only me and her here and i wanna recall whats she says i always get my meds confussed .but i do like my csi that comes to my house from the dr office i also like my coucler.dr im not sure about yet its scary to take meds from someone ya aint sure about.please note i haaave no problems with her .it took me like 1 year to get used to my old dr .i miss my old dr.she was from ny and so darn smart

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get her to write down all the info about your meds for you! That should be no problem, they have to do that for so many people anyway.

I've never really thought about recording in the docs office before... Probably even harder to understand her on tape though ;) Better off getting her to write it down.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tape recorder is a bad idea. It would make anyone nervous, and especially anyone that's prone to lawsuits, as all physicians are.

By the way, if you are ever called into the IRS, bring a tape recorder. Put it on the table and turn it on. I'm told the slime balls will quickly lose interest in your case.

Foreign doctors can be quite good. In rural America that's all there are these days. Many years ago almost every village had a doctor and they were Americans. Now most villages don't have one and those that do have foreigners.

The bleeps in Washington severely limit the number of American doctors by regulating the number and size of American medical schools. Apparently the "regulators" are members of the AMA. The few that graduate from American schools work in cities. I suppose they can make more money there.

In case you know nothing of economics, creating a shortage of anything increases it's cost. Its one of the many ways that the slime in Washington increase the cost of health care.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its my understanding many of the trades folks train for in India and other countries do not give the folks credit here in America, so they end up going though college twice.

Its my experience Indian doctors are very knowledgeful and hard workers, it is just difficult at times to understand what they are saying.

Just treat them like you would another American, if they wanted to be treated like an Indian, they wouldnt of come here.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, if you don't feel comfortable with her as your doctor, get a new one if at all possible. Everyone should feel comfortable with his or her doctor, and be able to understand what they're saying. Your health depends on good communication with your doctor.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i kinda got to see her cause she is a dr for the poor.or people with low money.shrinks cost a lot and i have to see em a lot at least 1 per month plus i see the coucler every 2 weeks .and the csi well i dont know how much i see her yet cause im new to seeing her