Newest member of the Fenix Appreciation Society

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Just got a Fenix L1 (v2.5) through from lighthound (1 week from order to letterbox in Australia - great service).

What a great little light!

- Small enough for pocket carry without looking like a deviant :)
- Looks beautiful
- Great smooth white beam with nice hot spot
- Bright enough to be really useful outdoors but not too bright for closeup stuff and reading in bed
- Great runtime off cheapo NiMHs
- Cheap!

This torch has instantly become my EDC. Imagine how impressed I'd be if I'd been patient enought to wait for an L1P :)

The only comparable light I have is a Longbow Micra, which cost 3x as much. The Micra has a brighter, slightly warmer beam without a hot spot, and is a beautifully built little torch, but I only use it sparingly because a) I don't like burning through expensive CR123s every couple of hours and b) I don't like worrying about blowing up my unregulated rechargeable 123s.

If fenix could bring out the equivalent torch with 2 stage (eg 10 and 40 lumen) output they'd have an absolute winner. As it is, they're definitely contender for cheap small light of the year!

Last edited:

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I carry mine every day now, thanks to LITEmania! At work, I use my Inove T3 for long-distance illumination and the L1-P for everything under 25 feet that also needs a little more flood. I have aldo picked up an old GI-issue Fulton angle neck flashlight in olive drab (miss my old one!) to see if I can trick it out with a Luxeon...

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
gadgetnerd said:
Imagine how impressed I'd be if I'd been patient enought to wait for an L1P :)

who're you kidding? you know you're going to break down and get an L1P sooner or later... why not sooner?

that's what i did! :laughing:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
carlsjrman said:
who're you kidding? you know you're going to break down and get an L1P sooner or later... why not sooner?
that's what i did! :laughing:

LOL! We're all so obvious on CPF!

Of course I'm gonna get an L1P, I just might wait til someone actually has them in stock...the #@% light is too popular!

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
it'd be nice to have a fenix in a body as nice as the longbow's =)

my longbow has about the same hotspot as my fenix l1p, but more overall output. not by much, though.

i'll always carry the longbow because it is durable- it has an optic(good for durability, bad for light output).

but i usually carry 3 lights, the sfl4, fenix l1p, and longbow micra.

longbow and fenix have similar beams if you install a reflector. i consider the longbow to be the light for most rugged activities. that darn thing is more reliable than my sf, and the polycarbonate lens is already scrached.

similar lights, sort of =)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a gem of a little light for sure, I decided on keeping the L1P in the end. Eitehr is a nice choice.

Latest posts