How do I decide whether to buy surefire E1L or E2L

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the prices were about the same? Are there advantages to using one cell vs. 2?

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How do I decide whether to buy surefire e1o or e2o

How about if the E2L cost less due to taxes?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the 2-cell, the regulation is flatter and you will get the most out of the cells. One cell is nice for pocket carry but I use my kl1 in 2 cell mode. YOu get more than double the regulated out put time when compared to the 1 cell body.]]

Nick

WDR65

Enlightened
About all I carry are 2 cell lights. Either an E2o or E2o with KL4 head and sometimes an E2d with a KL1. I also carry an A2, but I keep them clipped like I would my knife. I normally don't even notice them unless I have something that I really need in the bottom of that pocket. I also carry a C3 or TL-3 a lot of times in my back pocket. The E1e and E1l are nice, but I don't like the bulk in the bottom of my pocket, though if I wear cargo pants I wouldn't hesitate to carry them. I also like the long clip Surefire's a lot better than the short ones.

I lean towards the 2 cell personally, but if you have the money to buy one and get the other body then you would have some neat options. Later on you could buy a tailcap and another head and have a totally different set to use for "legos".

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the E2L and then get a Vital Gear FB1 body from Litehound.

It is very short with an integrated clickie tailcap. Makes a great small EDC with the KL1.

Switch the KL1 between the bodies as needed.

Mark

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I went through the same process and ended up buying.... both.

Well, not really. I got an E2E first so I would have an incandescent bezel. Then a KL4 and then and E1L. Now I can play Surefiro which I enjoy much more than lego. But to be honest I find myself carrying the KL4 on the E2 body with a 30 ohm flattop two stage tail switch WAY more than the E1L. That may change when I get another two stage switch, but I think unless there is a real need to keep the size down the two cell battery gives you a lot more runtime, especially if you end up putting a KL4 head on.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have collected both over the years and find myself using the 2 cell more.

I like the Vital Gear F1 body. I have my KL4 on it right now. I have found that some CR123's aren't quite long enough to fit correctly inside leaving a small gap and the light sometimes doesn't work unless you shake it. The rechargable 3.7 volt 123's work good in it though.

The installation of the McGizmo two-stage tailcap really adds the versatility of a low beam to the high beam.

McGizmo sells a KL1 host kit (or at least he used to) that has the two-stage tailcap on a 1 cell body for a reasonable price.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hum... i find myself on the differnet side...

i seem to like my E1L more than my E2L... i have an E1e body with the KL1 head and a click on tailcap.. its really nice... the balance in the pocket is a little funky because the body is the same size as the head but its nice....

right now i'm at a coffee shop and i'm wearing the E1L because its better in sweat pants... i HONESTLY can't tell a difference between my 1 cell body and the 2 cell body... They both are just as bright and I use both lights a lot (their new) and I haven't noticed either dropping in output... i know the flashlightreviews.com review has the E2L beating the E1L in both output and runtime but I can't really tell... I figure since your only using one battery it doesn't really matter anyways... as soon as my rechargeable's come its going to matter even less...

so... my vote would be to get both... buy the E1L and get a L4 body from lighthound.com... you'll love the E-series... its so awesome!

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I will get the E2L for the long clip. Just get the e1 body elsewhere later, plus there are so many options for a 1 cell e series compatible.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1 body is too short to use the pocket clip, but when it falls sideways on my backpocket, it sits sideways and it becomes hard to sit down. I only carry a TW4 since I can use Li Ions and to impress people