New issue of Pop. Sci. has Surefire story

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice one page story on the military version of the U2 being rolled out this month. Makes me want a U2 badly.

In the back of the same issue, an ad from Surefire with a testimonial from a Marine who took some incoming and the only surviving piece of equipment was his Surefire weaponlight.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geologist said:
How is the military version different?

The military version (named DEF3A) looks like the U2 but it has a larger head with a Luxeon V and generates 120 lumen vs. the U2's Luxeon III's 80 lumen.

The article also mentions that the U2 has a dimmer and the DEF3A does not.

The DEF3A has sixteen colored LEDs for signaling - green for safe, red for under fire, etc. and infrared for use with night-vision equipment.

They also mentioned that the DEF3A beam shines through a aspherical lens that captures and redirects twice as many photons as a flashlight with a parabolic mirror.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always a 1 page add in Pop science and Pop mechanics for surefire, even though the add is almost always the same it is the first thing I look for in my magazine. :)
This month there is a new one page add from a company called Lens Light, www.lens-light.com..

JanCPF

Enlightened
Marty Weiner said:
The military version (named DEF3A) looks like the U2 but it has a larger head with a Luxeon V and generates 120 lumen vs. the U2's Luxeon III's 80 lumen.

The article also mentions that the U2 has a dimmer and the DEF3A does not.

The DEF3A has sixteen colored LEDs for signaling - green for safe, red for under fire, etc. and infrared for use with night-vision equipment.

They also mentioned that the DEF3A beam shines through a aspherical lens that captures and redirects twice as many photons as a flashlight with a parabolic mirror.

Small correction: U2 has a Lux V - not a Lux III.

Jan