Orb Raw or Nuwai Q3?

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
I know both are similar, but which is better overall? How does the brightness compare especially?

Thanks

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The orb is going to be much smaller and a bit brighter, but run for only a fraction of the time the Q3 will. If all you want is a wow light, the orb is for you, but if you want a functinal EDC light, the Q3 might be a better choice. You can solve some of the runtime issue with the 2 stage switch for the raw, but the fact still remains the 123 cells hold more juice then cr2 cells.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how they are similar, the Raw is a bare aluminum light direct driven by a li-ion RCR2 with twist on only action and with no oring protection, the Q3 is a circuit-driven oring-protected with a reverse clickie and runs on primary 123s.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only real similarity between them is that the Orb RAW and Q-III use reflectors and LuxIII's - as others have noted, one's a direct-drive which runs off a RCR2 while the other's a circuit-driven light with a CR123 for power supply. They don't share switch characteristics, body characteristics, or anything beyond what has already been mentioned. However, the Orb RAW can smoke a Q-III when it comes to throw or output IF it has a U-binned LuxIII. Otherwise, the beams are going to be roughly similar in overall output, but the Q-III has a smaller hotspot.

TorchMan

Enlightened
All this talk about U bins has me green with envy. :green: I've a Raw coming, but it's a T bin. Did you have to be one of the lucky few at the start? I know they are rare.

Spidey82

Enlightened
y is the u bin so rare???
2 stage is T bins?
if i wait, will the u bin be avaliable in furture?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
TorchMan said:
All this talk about U bins has me green with envy. :green: I've a Raw coming, but it's a T bin. Did you have to be one of the lucky few at the start? I know they are rare.

Yes, I've got one of the U-binned Orb RAWs, direct from 4sevens with his two-stage mod, which preceeded the one that Rob sold by a few months. It's a GREAT little light - bright, but it doesn't get as much use as it ought to, due to the fact that I've managed to somehow kill two RCR2s even when the light was left on a desk, and because it doesn't have O-rings, which makes it less than optimal for use in winter or merely wet weather.

It's definitely a beauty, and bright enough to stand up to any of my other higher-powered LuxIII lights, due to the sheer output of the U-binned LuxIII.

Spidey82 said:
y is the u bin so rare???
2 stage is T bins?
if i wait, will the u bin be avaliable in furture?

U-binned LuxIII's are rare because Lumileds' production methods aren't perfect, and because few LEDs make it out of the factory with the ability to put out as high a flux as to rate the U-designation, and most of those are bought by manufacturers... which means that the chances of people like you or me getting them is extremely low. All current RAWs out there (not the 1-watts) use T-binned LuxIIIs, because that's all Rob can get at the moment.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a U-bin LuxIII yourself (you'll probably need a U--K or U--J binned LuxIII) and sending it to Rob to have it put into a RAW module, rather than waiting for him to get another batch. :D Or just wait for the next-gen Luxeon K2's to come out... sometime in 2006.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apples and oranges.

Both lights are cool. I really like my TiAg Raw. It has a nice t-Bin. The Raw is my go to light if I need a WOW! Out of somebody. The raw gets that kind of response every time. Sterling and Titanium with a Tritium marker with a 2 stage switch and rechargeable battery. What more can you ask for? Well I asked for a mcluxIIIPD.
And got one In a U-Bin. A RAW with a fresh battery at the start is a bit brighter than the MCLUXIIIPD. But not for long. The RAW will only go for like 20 minutes on high (the WOW level) the thing about the RAW is a combination of very small and really bright = WOW.
Too much has been said of the Q3. Bottom line is that it is very possibly the best buy flashlight that we can get. A great value. So if you are willing to play the luxeon lottery, and want a good light cheap. Go ahead get a Q3.

Better yet go out a get a matched pair of Surefire KL-1's on top of Vital Gear 1 cell bodie. Like I did.
Oh yes these are a good thing.
I couldn't be happier. They are so industrially cute. That is flashlight geek speak. for very nicely designed combinaion that works great.
I have a q3 in my glove box. Need I say more?
Just start buying!!
Yaesumofo