Craftsman 1 watt luxeon bulb in a 3 D maglite?

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of those lights from Sears and noticed that the bulb comes out
and can be used like a regular bulb.

I tried it in a 2 d cell Garrity rubber light and it worked but obviously not as bright.

If I put it in a 3 D maglite, will it work okay? It's the same voltage as the 3 AAA Craftsman light.

thanks

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the original light is a 3AAA light, then yes, the voltage will be the same. In this case however, that is not the determining factor. AAA cells at maximum, supply a much smaller ammount of current than D cells. If the 'bulb' doesn't have any current limiting resistors, 3D cells will likely fry the LED in a matter of seconds.

Nell

Enlightened
Is there anything inside that PR base? It looks like a alum. collar with nothing inside. Wonder if there are resistors inside. Anyone taken one apart? How much more will a D put out compared to AAA?

Won't this depend on what emitter is installed ? I have a M*G with 4D with a resistor and it works great. Maybe change it to a 3W and it will draw enough from frying.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Looking at the base, I believe there is a resistor inside. 3 Ohms. It was in another post here.

There are several threads about this light. You can do a search.

Good Luck!

Danno

Texlar

Newly Enlightened
What kind of resistor could I install to be able to use this led bulb on a 4D maglite? Other than using a dummy battery. Is it safe to use as is on a 4D? Or what electronics could one use for a 2D maglite to boost current if needed?
:huh2:

Last edited: