Several new LED lights at Lowes...has anyone seen these?

danielo_d

Enlightened
I have a TaskForce 1Watt by 3AAA that I got a while back at Lowe's. My post about it is here.

Not bad. Don't have any 3 Watters. Looks very similar, except larger. If they have any at Lowe's, I just might check it out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Danno.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I tried the 1 watt link.... doesn't work I get a please enter your zip code webpage, looks like a site you have to accept a bunch of cookies just to look around, I rejected the cookies and it wont let me do anything... :scowl:

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got that for the 3-watt link, but after entering my zip code, it showed me the page (and showed the nearest store).

MoreLumens

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up one of the Lowes Task Force 3 watt lights and thought I'd share my impression. I'm a newbie here. I stumbled across this web site about a month ago, got hooked, and ran out and got several 1 watt lights: Dorcy Meal Gear, Dorcy 3AAA Super 1-watt, Dorcy 3D 1 watt, and Lowes Task Force 3AAA 1 watt (the smaller cousin of the 3 watt).

The Task Force 3 watt looks pretty much exactly like the 1 watt version, just larger. It has a single power level when on (it would have been cool if it had a 50% setting). The switch is in the tail cap and is the reverse clicky type. It seems pretty solid and has o-rings to seal around the tail cap, bezel (that contains the collimator), and head (that contains the LED). The light feels good in the hand and has a rubberized grip so it won't slip easily out of your hand. When I remove the head and flip it over, I see a board with "LX-MS2203-A" printed on it. Not sure if anyone knows what this is (maybe a Luxeon part # for the driver?). There is quite a bit of room between this board and the Luxeon Star, but I don't know what's in there since I can't get to it.

The light is quite bright, brighter than any of my 3AAA 1 watt lights. It has a good white color (like my Task Force 1 watt). The beam consists of a bright, medium wide center spot surrounded by a fairly bright corona. Compared to my Dorcy 3D 1 watt, the Task Force has a wider, but dimmer center spot and a brighter corona. The Dorcy definitely has more throw, but the Task Force is probably a better flood type light due to the brighter corona.

I don't have a light meter so I can't provide any brightness numbers. But I used my DVM to measure some voltages and current during a 2 hour run. I used some slightly used Energizer 2C cells and measured the voltage of the batteries, voltage across the LED, and current.
Time__________Battery Voltage___LED Voltage____Current
0 (start)___________2.92V_________3.35V________1.00A
30 min_____________2.49V_________3.18V________1.00A
60 min_____________2.45V_________3.12V________0.94A
90 min_____________2.37V_________3.05V________0.72A
120 min (stop)______1.98V_________2.85V________0.20A

The entire light got slightly warm from the 30-90 min. marks. To my eyes, the light was at or near maximum brightness from 0 to around 90 min. At 120 min, the light was pretty dim, but still produced enough light to navigate around your home in a power outage. If I had used brand new cells, I think the light would have run a bit longer at near full brightness.

Anyone know if this is about how long other 3 watt 2C lights run? Also, since the LED voltage was higher than the battery voltage, does this mean there's some sort of boost circuit in there?

I like the light because of it's bright output and fairly small size (for a 2C light). But at $40, it isn't cheap. I feel it should sell for closer to $30 since it only has 1 power level. If I didn't already have my Dorcy 3D 1 watt, I wouldn't have a problem keeping this light. But I feel the Dorcy 3D is just as good (although quite a bit bigger) and for about half the price ($22 at Target). I'm thinking of returning the Task Force. Anyone have any suggestions?

I hope this information is useful to anyone considering the Task Force 3 watt.

MoreLumens

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a need for a generic 3W light that runs on 2C cells but in general, I don't think it sounds like too bad of a deal. I have several 3W-modded Mags and the Dorcy 3D Super 1W and those cover my large light needs just fine.

As for that plastic light, I saw one a couple times ago that I was at Lowes and it looks like something that would be sold at the Dollar General store for $1. Or maybe even 2 for $1. My niece has a light that looks just like it, except for the Luxeon of course and it is not pretty!

balazer

Enlightened
I believe the Lowe's Taskforce LED lights are made by Ningbo Futai, the same company that makes the Costco 2AA and the Elektrolumens XM-3. At least the older Lowe's Taskforce LED lights were.

I think the 2C 3-watt light is unique. What batteries does the plastic light use?

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 Watt Plastic is crap
got it, then took it back
like cratz said, its a dollar store light DD with crap bin 1 watter and a funny looking optic..

i saw a 3 watter it looked like the 3AAA not 2C....
i have the 6 LED

6 nichia CS, downboy 400

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
MoreLumens said:
...at $40, it isn't cheap...If I didn't already have my Dorcy 3D 1 watt, I wouldn't have a problem keeping this light....I'm thinking of returning the Task Force. Anyone have any suggestions?...

Thanks for the review. My suggestion: for around $40 you can get a better incandescent OR LED light. Examples:

Incandescent:
Surefire G2
Streamlight Scorpion

LED:
Fenix L1P
Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA

Edit: forgot to add there's also the Elektrolumens Blaster Jr and 3P:

http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster_Jr/Blaster-Jr.html
http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-3P/BL-3P.html

Last edited:

MoreLumens

Newly Enlightened
joema said:
Thanks for the review. My suggestion: for around $40 you can get a better incandescent OR LED light. Examples:

Incandescent:
Surefire G2
Streamlight Scorpion

LED:
Fenix L1P
Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA

Edit: forgot to add there's also the Elektrolumens Blaster Jr and 3P:

http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster_Jr/Blaster-Jr.html
http://elektrolumens.com/Blaster-3P/BL-3P.html

joema,
Thanks for the suggestions. Of the lights you suggested, the Fenix L1P looks the most interesting. A lot of people in this forum seem to like it. If I get one, it will be in addition to the Task Force 3 watt since I feel that they serve different purposes.

As for the Task Force light, I've decided to keep it. It is quite bright and is more convenient to use than my Dorcy 3D 1 watt due to its smaller size.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 2C 3w looks interesting to me. I wonder how it would work on rechargeables? If this light was in the $20 to $25 range, I'd definately check one out. I'd also be interested in the runtime of this light as well as some beam shots.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightObsession said:
That 2C 3w looks interesting to me. I wonder how it would work on rechargeables? If this light was in the $20 to $25 range, I'd definately check one out. I'd also be interested in the runtime of this light as well as some beam shots.

Ditto that. Too bad the advertisment does not include weight, dimentions, or a description of the switch.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a Lowe's tonight and saw the 2C 3W Task Force and picked it up. It's a pretty nice light but like has already been said, it's a bit expensive. There was no price on it and I was in a hurry so I just bought it. I was a bit surprised at the price but figured I'd give it a shot.

Tint looks like XO and brightness is pretty good. I compared it to it's little brother, the 3AAA 1W Task Force (modded with a 1W RX1G). Brightness is about the same with the 2C being just a little brighter and tighter. Mine is almost as bright as my Dorcy 3D but the Dorcy has a tighter hotspot and uses a reflector. This Task Force 2C uses a big optic and does focus the beam pretty tight (kinda like a Fraen, but not quite that tight). It's tighter than the 3AAA, but not nearly as tight as the Dorcy.

I don't have a 2C River Rock but I would like to know how it compares, I doubt it's as bright though.

Click for pics:

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean :

Great info - Thanks!!

What kind of switch does the 2C have?
Is there a decent amount of spill along with the hotspot?

I believe that "2C" is the next logical format to be developed for EDC.
It will probably be a while before a powerfull and compact model becomes commercially available, but it should be worth the weight.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the 2C size, not too big at all.

The 2C has a reverse clickie tailcap. The spill is like that of a fraen optic. It's there, probably more than the River Rock 2C, but it's dimmer than the spill from Arc LS w/NX-05.

It works great outside, producing a lot of throw. Not as much as the Dorcy 3D but still noticeably more than it's little brother, the Task Force 1W 3AAA. The 2C out-thows the 3AAA easily.