Does Flashaholism run in the family?

tron3

Banned
Some simple questions to help determine if you, or someone you love is a flashaholic.

Was your father a flashaholic?
Do you have more flashlights than you could possibly use?
Do you enjoy blinding your (former) friends and/or family?
Do you blind yourself just to see how bright it is compared to other lights?
Do you have flashlights hidden in places no one knows about?
Do you often turn on your EDC just to "make sure it is working"? :candle:
Do you buy flashlights behind your spouses back? :whistle:
Do you replace the batteries/recharge when the output drops below 70%?
Do you keep your collection on display?
Have you modified any flashlight in your collection?
Do people stare at you blankly for using a flashlight in broad daylight? :ironic:
Do you visit this web site often? :thinking:

Now the 12 step program:
  1. We admitted we were powerless over flashaholism— that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Candle Power greater than Maglites could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the candlepowerforums.
  4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our flashlight habits.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our LED lights.
  6. We're entirely ready to have Luxeon remove all the defects of workmanship.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our incandescents.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had blinded, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would blind them more.
  10. Continued to take flashlight inventory and when we were wrong promptly recount.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the candle power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to flashaholics, and to practice these principles in total darkness.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't believe it runs in the family. My older brother has potential, but I think he's too cheap (even more than me) to spend much on flashlights. His extra money is reserved for guns and hunting.

Geoff

greenLED

Flashaholic
No, more like a gearhead, tool fanatic, gizmo loving, tink everything kinda dude.

There is no such thing as too many flashlights.

I do not do that on purpose and get very upset when someone else tries (although they tend to be blinded back a a more powerful light :D). On the other hand, I always have to laugh when one of my friends blinds themselves looking into my lights.

Nope! That's what white walls are for. :)

Sounds like you do. :laughing: I don't.
Do you often turn on your EDC just to "make sure it is working"? :candle:
No.

Do you buy flashlights behind your spouses back? :whistle:
She's bound to notice, so there's really no way to hide.

Not really.

No.

Absolutely! I have to refrain myself from not doing this.

Do people stare at you blankly for using a flashlight in broad daylight? :ironic:
Never hapenned to me.

Do you visit this web site often? :thinking:
Don't know what you're talking about. :whistle:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
No, and ya' know, I don't ever recall him EVER using a flashlight when I was younger..
What greenLED said.
On the advice of my counsel, I am pleading the 5th..
No.
Yes. I have (1) stashed away out in my garage.
Do you often turn on your EDC just to "make sure it is working"?
No.
Do you buy flashlights behind your spouses back?
No, I'm still single..
It all depends on the light. I do change more frequently in my EDC, but not necessarily in everything else..
Not the whole collection. I do have a few next to the monitor of my computer in the living room. I don't know if one could consider them "on display", though..
Yep, mostly my M@g & MM's..
Do people stare at you blankly for using a flashlight in broad daylight?
No.. but I did have a kid who lives down the street from my nephew once blurt out (when I pulled out my PR-T to light up a laurel hedge so the kids could find a baseball), "Who carries a flashlight in their pocket?" I turned, gave him a blast of blinding McGizmo goodness and replied, "I'd rather have one on me and not need it, then need one and not have one at hand!" LOL!
Do you visit this web site often?
Do I have to answer that question?! :crackup:

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
Nope. I'm the only one. When Mag lights were the best you could get, I gave my parents each one for each of thier cars. They never used them. My mother keeps two cheap, giveaway lights in her glovebox which she uses often.
The rest of my family is the same.
They do know who to call when they need a good light.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. Nobody in my family is a flashaholic, or interested in the least in flashlights. In my opinion, flashaholism starts during childhood. All children are somehow mystified by this strange, glowing tool, as all nature is attracted to light. If a child continues to show interest in portable illumination (Not too many, but I know I did!) then they would eventually find this site and give their life partners financial headaches and such.... Of course, my opinion about starting during childhood is actually completely wrong :p. Many of us were first interested in knives, and guns, where they eventually saw a picture of an M6 on an AR-15, or a spyderco, connected to the lanyard of an A2, and eventually find this site.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Habbit... errr...hobby runs down from my grandfather then to my dad. I do recall them to be the only ones carrying an 8D cell long flashlight in our old neighborhood, during the incandescent era! Both my grandfather and father got the looooongest flashlight in the neighbourhood back then.
My dad was bragging about his long, powerful flashlights when i started collecting.
One fine day i got myself a surefire and made him shut up :devil:

Learjet

Enlightened
Come to think of it, the family does have a thing with "lights". My sis an bro in law constantly have candles lit, even in daylight.

Back in the pre WW2 days my late uncle was the first in the small town of Finch Hatton to have wired up an electric light system for the house. It was a 32V system where a generator charged up a bank of batteries. If that wasn't strange enough, he was blind! But at least the rest of the family got to see where they were going at night. He was quite a "bright" fellow!

Luminilious

Newly Enlightened
Blinding people - yes. When I was a kid, my friends and I would build our own flash devices and sneak around in a dark house at night trying to surprise each other with a blinding flash of light. It was very intense, like paintball, because getting flashed after your pupils had adjusted to the dark was somewhat painful. I built a weapon using those old golf ball size flash bulbs and a 9" reflector. I used it on my best friend at a distance of about 2 feet and the reflection from his face was burned into my retinas for about an hour. I can't imagine what happened to his eyes.
BTW, I got my ARC last week - I turn it on several times a day whether I need it or not.

nc987

Enlightened
None of my family or friends is one. I realized it was getting bad when the other night the wind was blowing hard and I was thinking "Please give me a power outage so I can use my Surefires for an actual purpose"

Glow Worm

Newly Enlightened
my family doesnt even keep candles handy...

but come this xmas things are going to change..oh yes..things will ching ching change