Are the Rock River 2AA sell by Target worth the trying??

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to avoid confusion, it's RIVER ROCK not Rock River. Do a search on the topic as it's been beaten to death at this point.

dwminer

Enlightened
I had one and liked it, my kids (adults) seen to think what's mine is also their's, and now they are enjoying the light.
Dave

jfong

Newly Enlightened
Very odd beamshape to see if you aren't expecting it. Like a spotlight on a stage or something. I'm kind of getting used to it. Less sidespill (almost none) compared to the Costco 2AA Luxeon, and so it looks brighter. Smaller size too. Overall, I'm happy with it especially because I regret not getting more Costco Luxeons (the two I got went to my gf and my brother).

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I initially despised mine, but with further use, it's not so bad.

I usually prefer a lot of spill light, but the bright round beam is useful for locating things under the fridge, etc. I'm also always looking for the occasional brown recluse intruder that inhabit this area.

But, I wouldn't want to walk through snakey woods with the light.

The finish is superb.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's about $20, that's very close to $22.95 for a Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA from http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

True you pay shipping, but you don't pay sales tax, so I think the final prices aren't hugely different (varies by state).

No matter how good the River Rock 2AA is, the PP Lux 4AA is better. IMO why have a pretty good light (the River Rock 2AA) when you can have the best in that price category (the PP Lux 4AA)?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Mostly what they said. When I couldn't find a focused Inova Radiant 2AA I got a River Rock 2AA instead. The constuction and finish ain't bad at all!

Mine has two criss-crossed strips of Satin Tape to take the sharp edge off the beam.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the 2AA River Rock, but I do own the similar 2C River Rock, two Inova X1s and 4 Princeton Tec Impacts that all have the freaky zero side spill beam. It takes some getting used to, but it is good for some things. Just be aware that it is a unique and unusual beam.

Since you're at Target, the 2xAAA River Rock lights for under $10 is a great small overall light and has a more traditional beam pattern and has about the same runtime as the 2xAA light.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a 2AA river rock 1.5w, it does throw a sharp clean spot beam..
but for $17.99 can't really complain.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
I got the 2AAA and it is already not working right. I thought a twist cap was better than a clickie but this thing is dying and most of the time dont' work, so im going to take it back.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
sonofjesse, does the 2AA not come with a clickie? I have the 2C River Rock and it comes with a clickie though you can twist the cap back about 3/4 turn and it will also shut off.

Good thing about target though, they are VERY good in the customer service department! If you don't like something, they'll take it back or allow an exchange.

Edit - never mind... I thought you were talking about the 2AA, not the 2AAA light. I own three of the 2AAAs and all are very similar and good except for some reason, one runs about two hours longer on NiMHs than the other two and I don't notice that it is any less bright on fresh cells.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not too fond of the 2xAA. It has a beam profile nearly identical to the Inova X1, only with slight sidespill due to ~20x more light exiting the front.

The tint on mine is disgusting - such ghostly blue that it interferes with color rendition and depth perception.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
Mine had the twiste, but you could "click" and turn it on but no button, if that makes any sense, just like the dorcy aaa 1 led light. I took mine bright, I thought twisties was good, I mean I had it 2 days and it quit working half the time. So I just took it back.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Well picked up all three RR's tonight, The 2AAA is great, will be my new EDC even tho it is a little slippery, The 2AA and the 2C are going back, maybe I had bad luck but the colors on those two are almost identicle, highly focused GREEN spot and small tight blue ring of sidespill, great throw, very tight and bright spot but the colors are HORRID, mine are basically unusable, my 4AA Luxeon Propoly is ten times the light for about the same price, gonna try the 3C Luxeon ProPoly SL. The light from the RR 2AAA is a little blue but very bright, unexpectedly excellent throw with ample sidespill, I like it a lot.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a beamshot of the River Rock 2C from 52 feet. The 2xAA should be exactly the same.

3%20River%20Rock%202C%20IMG_1599a.jpg

Kenski

Newly Enlightened
That beamshot pretty much sums it up. I tried the 2AA and found the tightly focused beam with no spill to be... not my style.

If I want big throw in a small/versatile light, the SF A2 is great (for me), if I want LED efficiency/cost/durability/etc... then the Streamlight PP 4AA or the Gerber LX 3 are way better values than the River Rock 2AA.

I really do like the River Rock 2AAA (not the 2AA), and it's my 4 year-olds-EDC. He inherited the 'ism. He's up to about eight lights, and a flashlight is the only thing that trumps a new 'Star Wars' toy. :)