5w Luxeon Rechargable torch $99AUD in Australia

larry2

Newly Enlightened
I notice that Jaycar is selling www.jaycar.com.au

5 Watt LED Luxeon Rechargeable Torch Charger (ST3339)

Boasts a 5 watt Luxeon LED in an attractive, strong, metal, water-resistant casing. Unique features include a DC-DC regulated circuit to provide maximum light output throughout the entire battery life, and 3 digitally controlled power levels at 100%, 50% or 25% with a burn time of 1.5 hours, 3 hours and 6 hours respectively. In addition, it has a flashing mode you can use in an emergency, while the multi faceted reflector provides an even light distribution.
- Supplied with 4 x Sub C Panasonic rechargeable batteries, which are recharged via the supplied mains battery charger.
- Supplied with a wrist strap and nylon belt pouch with moulded nylon sleeve to protect the torch.
- Power: 5 Watts = 120 lumens
- Weighs: 583g (with batteries)
- Size: 227(L) x 37(Dia.)mm
- Includes 4 x Sub C Panasonic rechargeable 2000mAH Ni-MH batteries

reduced from $159 down to $99AUD (USD $75)
anyone here tried one out ?
it look similar to one of the nuwai models ?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8711059549&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

larry

Last edited:

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
I've tried one out for a little while at a swap meet.

I didn't get to play with it for very long, but it looks and feels very well put together, and I am also pretty sure that it's another rebadged Nuwai.

From very rough eyeballing, it looks like it puts out about the same amount of light as my Surefire U2, but seems to throw just a little further. I think this is because it's reflector is slightly deeper and larger than the U2's.

I think it's a pretty good light for the price, especially since it comes with a rechargeable kit. The version I saw was $85AUD and it didn't come with the rechargeable kit.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about the light, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

:)

Last edited:

larry2

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Yes, this particular model is definitely bigger than those that take 123As. It's roughly the size of a 4C cell Mag.

Led Museum has a review of it done on 07-14-05. U can also find it by going to the C & D cell section and looking under 5 Watt Luxeon Handtorch.

Hope you enjoy it, and please let us know what you think of it.

Learjet

Enlightened
Is that a Jaycar October special only?

The thing that would annoy me with these multi mode torches is when you want to turn the thing off you have to click the switch 3 or 4 times right?

larry2

Newly Enlightened
if you go to the jaycar site and look at the torch specials in the pdf file catalogue, it has the 5w luxeon torch-but it's 6xAa, and it doesn't mention rechargable, but if you search for the item number in the online catalogue, it shows the rechargable torch and mentions 4 x 'sub c ' batteries rechargable

the special price would likely be ending soon

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
I can't quite remember but I think that if you leave the flashlight at one setting for more than a few seconds, it just takes one click to turn the light off.

It was about two months ago when I got to mess around with it, so not too sure. Hopefully larry2 will be able to properly answer your question when he receives his new light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried one out at the Jaycar Melbourne store,
It was quite bright, nice and white. It gets warm quickly
Cannot operate from normal everyday C cells, the body is to short.
It does come complete as a kit, batts, charger and Flashlight.

larry2

Newly Enlightened
5W Luxeon torch..black..rechargable.. ($100AUD = $75 USD)
Well.. the torch is a nice size..easy to carry..about the thickness of a normal surefire torch, but a bit longer (23 cm/9 inches), it looks similar to the 352 model..just longer (and with a longer run-time)..it feels very solid and well put together..
-Model ALX 553N made by Nuwai ? (looks just like the pics in the JT pacific link)
-comes with a nice gift box-torch,batteries, charger, holster, manual, wrist strap
-three modes-100%, 50%, 25%, flashing (uses Dc regulator)
-it uses 4x2000Mah sub-c NiMH batteries 4.8V
-the black finish feels nice, a the 'grip' could be a bit rougher to help with grip
-light..bloody bright..not a long a throw as my 4C maglight, but the amount of light is greater..and it's a lot easier to carry..with a large white spot..and a good 'flood' as well.. good for spotting birds in the trees at night.. and finding runaway dogs..hehe
-boy..the yabbies in the ponds really got a shock tonight.. they really moved to get out of the light...the koi didn't seem to be bothered though...
-it has a custom charger to the batteries..they have 4 batterys 'shrink filmed' together...
-are there any other Luxeon 5W torches with rechargable ability that are better than this?..

Last edited: