Streamlight Stinger on AR-15 ?

Raptor_Designer

Newly Enlightened
What's the best way to mount a Streamlight Stinger XT HP near the front of an unmodified AR-15 A2?

I'd prefer to skip the replacement Picatinny rail handguards but will go that route if it's the best solution.

I apologize if this has been covered before but I did try the search function and it returned nothing.

I did a Google and found a couple of GG&G mounts (one on standard handguard, one on sight/gas tower) but they say they are for 1 inch flashlights. I measure the Stinger barrel at 1.15" on the aluminum and 1.18" on the rubber part.

Thanks in advance.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scope rings maybe?

Look at places like Cheaper than dirt, Brigade Quartermaster, Ranger Joes, and US Cavalry for the short rails that mount onto the regular handguards. They mount using the vent holes to put the bolts through.

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Can your Streamlight handle the recoil of your rifle without breaking the bulb? I am not familiar with a Stinger XT HP. Are the components in the light shock-isolated/shock-proof? If so, there are short pieces of rail that can mount to the FSB or through the vent holes in the hand guards. Then you can perhaps use 30mm scope rings and use rubber inserts to clamp the light.

Raptor_Designer

Newly Enlightened
beavo451 said:
Can your Streamlight handle the recoil of your rifle without breaking the bulb?

There really is not much recoil from an AR-15.

I think the issue is one of finding a mount to accomodate the slightly larger diameter of the Stinger.

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Raptor_Designer said:
There really is not much recoil from an AR-15.

I think the issue is one of finding a mount to accomodate the slightly larger diameter of the Stinger.

I have an AR-15 and I would be hesitant to put a non-shock isolated light on it. That being said, Surefire P60 lamps have some spring buffering and I have seen G2s mounted on many ARs. If the larger 30mm rings won't fit the flashlight, I don't think there would be a "pretty" way to mount the light. Short of duct taping it to the handguards, you could try using hose clamps and a spacer to clamp it to the barrel. I personally would just get a G2 with 1" rings to mount and the rechargeable kit if you really want the recharability function.

Raptor_Designer

Newly Enlightened
beavo451 said:
I have an AR-15 and I would be hesitant to put a non-shock isolated light on it.
I personally would just get a G2 with 1" rings to mount and the rechargeable kit if you really want the recharability function.

The Stinger is a very common cop light. I would guess that every day alleged perpetrators are persuaded to cooperate by contact with these lights. There is even an attachment sold that goes on the bezel and provides sharp edges to enhance the persuasion factor. The bulb in the Stinger HP is fixed to a rather larger base plate and is held by a spring. I don't know for sure that it will stand the mild recoil of an AR-15 but I expect it will.

I live in a rural area and distances are long. While the G2 is an excellent light the Stinger has far more throw, and the Stinger HP far more throw than the regular Stinger. To paraphrase an old expression "Don't bring a pistol-light to a rifle-light fight." Teamed with a low-power, large-exit-pupil scope I can identify objects well past 100 Yards.

I use my lights a lot and I do need rechargability. Buying 123s all the time would get very expensive.

Stingers are very common and somebody out there must know how to mount them. I found a couple of mounts on the web that claim to work with this light. But what worries me is they say they open to 1.08" when I measure the barrel at 1.15", or about 29mm.

oklalawman

Enlightened
I dont think the stinger is the route to go. To heavy, will make weapon extrmely muzzle heavy. I know of noone that would make a mount to fit it cause like you said it is larger than 1". Why dont you do what I did. I put a
TL-3 with rechargable li-ion 17500 batteries. It throws a little better than the hp stinger and is noticably brighter. Add one of the pictanny rail conversions
that use your stock hand guards (www.brownells.com about $10). Check the web there are several mounts that will fit that light 7/8". I got mine from botach, about $30 shipped. Batterries, charger, mount everything for about $100. It will outperform most lights out there. My dept issues the Surefire
handguard system. This set up is brighter and throws farther. I have not compared to the surefire HOLA. You get an hour run time with the tl-3.Less than 20 minutes with the hola.

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Raptor_Designer said:
The Stinger is a very common cop light. I would guess that every day alleged perpetrators are persuaded to cooperate by contact with these lights. There is even an attachment sold that goes on the bezel and provides sharp edges to enhance the persuasion factor. The bulb in the Stinger HP is fixed to a rather larger base plate and is held by a spring. I don't know for sure that it will stand the mild recoil of an AR-15 but I expect it will.

I live in a rural area and distances are long. While the G2 is an excellent light the Stinger has far more throw, and the Stinger HP far more throw than the regular Stinger. To paraphrase an old expression "Don't bring a pistol-light to a rifle-light fight." Teamed with a low-power, large-exit-pupil scope I can identify objects well past 100 Yards.

I use my lights a lot and I do need rechargability. Buying 123s all the time would get very expensive.

Stingers are very common and somebody out there must know how to mount them. I found a couple of mounts on the web that claim to work with this light. But what worries me is they say they open to 1.08" when I measure the barrel at 1.15", or about 29mm.

Okay I see now. I don't know about the rechargeable part though Possibly like what was suggested above, get a light that will fit the mount and use rechargeable batteries like Pilas. You may want to ask your question over at www.ar15.com in the "lights and lasers" section.