c3 or 9p

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Should I get a c3 or 9p. Is the c3 worth the extra money and NO I do not have a lot of money to spend:ironic: so is there really that much differnce in size,feel,and ruggednus(I know there is no difference in bulb or output). Hows the beam for spotting or is it more of a wall(though I dont think that will affect my decision cause 105 lumens:sleepy: is 105 lumens:sick2: if you know what I mean ;).

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the only differences are the C3 has a body type with flat-sides (CombatGrip design) and a rubber grip ring so that the light can be operated with a handgun using the Rogers/SureFire technique. Also, it has a clip.

Unless these things are really really important to you, you can save $48 getting the 9P.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I perfer the C3 HA for the hard anodized finish. I like that the light will stay new looking longer.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Buy the 9P, and with the difference in price between the 9P and C3 you can buy a KL3, almost. I use a 6P and bought an A19 for my 9P, about the same difference as price between the 6P and 9P, and I have more flexability, using RCR's in the 6P. I can then use RCR's in the 6P with A19, and run a higher voltage bulb. Lots of fun.

Bill

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Get the 9P. Save yourself some money. It'll also be easier to find a holster to fit the 9P because you don't have the rubber grip ring to deal with. The rubber grip ring tends to snag on nylon holsters.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: SureFire C3 or 9P

Like some of the urgings here—you cannot go wrong with either and/or. The 9P costs less than the C3 and the difference is merely<—(for lack of a better choice word) "cosmetic" if you will.

The Hard Anodizing Type III on the C3 is nice to be sure, but I have the original 9P for some 10 years now and it's finish is VERY GOOD even now! And that's even after I've been using it on a daily basis for the first 2 years, but lately every other week. That's something to say about the black anodizing on it—Type II?

But whatever you decide upon, you will not be disappointed!

Hope you find what you are looking for and—Enjoy!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I went throught this process a couple months ago and ended up with a 9P. For the difference in price you could almost get a couple Pilas and you certainly coud get a P91 bulb. The beam isnt purely a flood but it is a wall of light, especially the P91. With the Pilas I run the P91 all the time since Im not concerned about batter life.

I like the look of the 9P in black a bit more. But it really depends on your use. While I dont doubt that the HA is tougher I have a real question whether that extra toughness matters in everyday use. If I was planning to be really tough on it it might matter. Mine is mostly in my backpack or on my nightstand, I figure that maybe the black 9P might only last 800 or 900 years with that duty while the HA would be good for 2000 years or so. ;)

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
In respect to the ruggedness differences.. I carry my 9P daily in my Maxpedition pack, it shares a compartment with a multitool, hacksaw blade, spare keys and a few softer objects, it has a scratch or two but nothing to worry about.
Do the 9P and save a buck or two.. :)

AtomSphere

Enlightened
Thicker body with the 9P giving the body more strength. Thicker body gives you a safer margin if you intend to bore it out to fit higher capacity 150A pila li-ions while maintaining alot of body strength compaired to C3. Both 9V SF are easy to change to Li-Ions without changing your bulbs and gives you flexibility between li-ions and CR123s.

I own a C3 but would recommend the 9P for the above reason. Most of all, its cheaper!

joelknife

Newly Enlightened
I have about three 9p's and one D3(its an older light that they do not make anymore but has the clip without the tactical ring). I carry the D3 in my back pocket alot when out at night and have a P91 bulb in it. I carry other lights as well and during the day I carry a e2e Ha in my back pocket. I do not use pouches as I wear a suit a lot. My gun takes up alot of space as do the other gear. So I like to have the room. I also just got the new rechargeable Inova and like it alot but it is in the car most of the time. So if you are going to carry it think about how.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC they make a HAII C3 that shouldn't be that much different in price. At least then it more or less comes down to aesthetics.

-LT

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys how long will a 9p with a p61 lamp run full 200 lumens for the 20 minutes it outputs. You know just an estimate:thinking:

Thx

JimM

Newly Enlightened
assassin337 said:
Hey guys how long will a 9p with a p61 lamp run full 200 lumens for the 20 minutes it outputs. You know just an estimate:thinking:

Thx
If you put a p61 in a 9p you will flash the bulb in an instant. The p61 is for the 6p (6 volt) only. It's any easy mistake to make if you have both 6p and 9p lights. Been there, done that.
Jim

NextLight

Enlightened
I own both, but have a slight preference for the C3: (1) Clip for front pocket carry (won't mess up the leather seats in my passenger car) and (2) the ergonomics of use with a handgun.

The C3 on my headboard uses the standard P90 and 2 CR123As. When I carried and used the C3 (pre-Gladius) I liked the P91 HOLA outdoors. But the P91 is too bright for indoor use when I first wake up, especially with my white walls. If there were no Gladius, I would still be carrying a C3, but probably with a P90 and Pila 150Ss. Outdoors, I still sometimes miss the P91's power.

If one is not armed, and doesn't need the clip, the 9P is a solid choice

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: C3 or 9P

The 9P with the HOLA P91 (not the P61) at 200 lumens will run for approximately 20 minutes. The P90 LOLA at 105 lumens runs for about 60 minutes.

The C3 uses these two (2) same LA P90 & P91. . .