Can you recommend an LED back-up duty light

Raygun8189

Newly Enlightened
Looking for an LED lithium powered light to put on my duty belt to back up my primary SL20xp. Need a light with a decent throw since this may be used for searching buildings, a wooded area and looking inside cars on mv stops. Any suggestions??

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gladius Night-Ops or a Surefire L2/L4. If you choose a Gladius, you would have to familarize yourself with the function of the light and battery changes. I love both lights but the Gladius will have more throw and the L2/L4 will have more 'wall of light'.

Jeff

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a Surefire L4 with McGizmo 2 stage switch, or a Surefire L2. Also options to look into are the Surefire A2 Aviator, or if you can swing it, the U2 (which I currently run, throws more than the L2 but less sidespill.)

I personally don't use LED's for throw but for around the house use. You have a SL20XP as primary, two is one, one is none (GI Jane the movie.)

The lights listed at the beginning of my thread are good to search inside cars and buildings, but lack outside for me in the woods (think I am spoiled by high powered incandescents.) Also I find my Surefire M6 maybe a bit too bright for indoor use, too much reflecting light off hallways or small rooms so my night vision is impaired some what.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
A multi stage briteness luxeon light is the best for a backup. Gladius or U2 is highly recommended. These run in the $200+ range. If u want a more hotspot type, Innova T3 is good.

NextLight

Enlightened
xpitxbullx said:
Gladius Night-Ops or a Surefire L2/L4. SNIP

Jeff

Seconds here. I love the level flexibility, LED throw, head size, features, and tactical handling of the Gladius. It is the belt carry light I would be most comfortable with in a low-light, close to intermediate distance, confrontation of any type. On a duty belt, I suggest the Surefire V70 holster. The Gladius fits perfectly, in the tactical bezel down position. (Disclaimer: The quick draw on this stock combination is NOISY, like slowly opening the action of a Remington 870.) And you have to try directing traffic at night with a Gladius and a Surefire F28 traffic cone; People pay ATTENTION! It is quite a combination.

OTOH, the L4 is great. I use several batteries, switches, and bodies for my KL4 head, and WITH ALL THE PIECES, it becomes a flexible system. Its semi flood beam is better for close up work than a tactical engagement at 20 feet. My backup to my Gladius is ... my KL4 head on a Vital Gear 1 cell body, loaded 1 unprotected Li-Ion rechargeable. It provides the full ~65 lumens for 20 minutes in this smaller body, and it gets hot.

There are of course, many suitable choices in this category. But the Gladius BELONGS on a duty belt or tactical rig. The L4 or L2 are strong contributors there too.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I currently use the Pelican M6 3 watt. I got mine from batterystation.com mostly because it was serialized and might be collectable as it was a unique specialty run. No mistaking whose is whose with an easy to read number. It has a very nice throw and good spill. I was never too much on the leds for patrol work, but this one is a winner. Pelican is just releasing it without a serial number as a regular model, #2390. I carry an ultra stinger as primary, but I've given the PM6 3w the back up role without hesitation.

kukula

Enlightened
I too highly recommend the Gladius. It would make a very good holster light. And it is a "tactical" light, excellent for your field of use. The U2 would also be a good light, albeit more expensive. But then again nothing would beat the one hand operational ability of the Gladius

NoShadow

Enlightened
Raygun8189 said:
Looking for an LED lithium powered light to put on my duty belt to back up my primary SL20xp. Need a light with a decent throw since this may be used for searching buildings, a wooded area and looking inside cars on mv stops. Any suggestions??

You might want to have a look at the Inova T2 or T3. These have a very clear beam and decent throw.....200 +/_ feet. These are great lights. If you are looking for one with rechargeables, The T4 might be the one. I would carry any one of these as a backup light.

Kris

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire M3. With it's shock isolated bezel/lamp assembly, it is a really rugged flashlight. Incandescent lights have good throw and will cut through fog and smoke, while an LED will just make these conditions look like a wall of bright smoke or fog right in front of you (sort of like driving with your brights on in the fog). Also in situations with ambient light (for example street lights) an incandescent will work much better than an LED light.

The Gladius is a great light, but for the above conditions I would choose an incandescent light everytime. My choice would be the Surefire M3, I love the M6 but I also find it too bright for indoor use in some situations.

What I would recommend is to test LED lights and incandescent lights in the above situations, then make your decision.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on your price range. If $ is no object then HDS 85 is the best as a mini back up. If you don't want to spend big $$$ then go with the Nuwai TM301X-5. If you want a police discount send me a PM if you are a bona-fide LE officer & i'll send you the link.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Surfires' as well, but some of the lights people are recommending are $200+ - ouch. Seriously, the Pentagonlight L2 is a great piece of kit. 65 lumens, 90min runtime before dropping out of regulation. Islandtactical.com has them for $65 for the black, $75 for the HAIII. Can't beat that with a stick. And they are FINE lights.

Raygun8189

Newly Enlightened
After all this I decided to go with a Brinkmann Maxfire LX. You can't beat it for the money. I showed it to guys I work with and they thought it was great. They even compared it with someones Strion in a dark room and the light given off by each one was in their words, "Too close to call". When I finally told them it cost me $ 16.21 at Target, they almost fell over. So far its worked just fine.

Glass

Newly Enlightened
NoShadow said:
You might want to have a look at the Inova T2 or T3. These have a very clear beam and decent throw.....200 +/_ feet. These are great lights. If you are looking for one with rechargeables, The T4 might be the one. I would carry any one of these as a backup light.

I carry an Inova T2 in my sap pocket and it's been a great light. I have a Stinger on my duty belt and my primary is a 20XP-LED.

Oh, and I have a stylus in my shirt pocket. Yes, I have a problem.

Patrick

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually carry the PILA GL4R on the belt with a Gladius as back up. In the duty bag I have an Ultrastinger for when throw is needed and an Inova T3 as a backup if all else fails.

I often also carry the Z3 or G2Z as an incan backup. The PILA GL3R is a great light to consider as primary or backup.

NextLight

Enlightened
john2551 said:
If $ is no object then HDS 85 is the best as a mini back up. .

When an LEO, says "backup light" they often mean a belt carried light that backs up the Mag or Streamlight they roll out of their patrol car with. (Raygun8189, correct me if I am mistaken) Usually this means someting between an E2 and an M3, only here we are talking LED lights. In LEDS, I like the Gladius for its feature set and handling with a firearm.

When I hear " backup" I think backup for my main belt carried light. I have a SF KL4 head on either an Aleph one cell body and two-stage tailcap, or the VG FB-1 body , either of them powered by a single Li-Ion RCR123 . I like them both.

I have yet to handle one, but I am thinking an HDS 60XR or HDS 85 would indeed be a powerful and flexible mini-light choice as my "backup" light, that would be concealed with my backup handgun. I would not want it (or any KL4 combo) as my main belt light, because of throw or ergonomic limitations..

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have to have a good incandescent as a main light however my back up light has been many different types. I have had my main light fail me due to user error (did not charge it well) so I have had to resort to a back up light several times. My back up light is simply to get me out of a dark place in a hurry if my main light fails. If I am approaching a vehicle I need enough light to see the hands of all persons inside and this is where my latest carry light really works well.
I finally got myself a TW4 and run it on a rechargeable 4.2 volt cell. I can say this little light puts out some serious light and takes up very little space on my belt. I also like the cheaper QIII with a T-bin and rechargeable also.
I still carry my Lit-Fuse modded ARC however it is kind of special to me so its use is limited at times.
Most officers I know have very little room on their belts and many find it hard to always have quick access to their duty bag for a spare light. In a 2 man car the bags are in the trunks of the patrol cars and often left behind if an officer has to act quickly. I think many officers will say that the smaller a back up light can be the better it is for them. I tried the Pelican M6 LED and have even used the TW4 on a 2 cell body and in time I wanted a smaller light.
I would say if you have the money a well matched KL4 head with good forward voltage and a rechargeable 123 cell is hard to beat. If cash is tight try the QIII with the R123 cell also.
I see you have now decided on the MaxFire. I have one of these as a spare in my duty bag but it hardly ever gets used really. Pretty nice light for the cost and if it gets broke then you are not out much cash anyway.
Stay safe and good luck to you.....

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is just going to be a back-up light, and your not rich, I would also recommend an Inova T1, T2, or T3. Depending on how much room you have on your duty belt. I am very happy with my T1 and my T3. I use the T1 at work(service advisor) all the time to look under car seats, or under hoods. Works great.
I still think you could hook 2 T2's together and make some LED nunchucks. :)

Last edited: