Pentagonlight L2 (vs) Pelican M6 3W

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PL2 and it is a FANTASTIC light. Nice tight white beam, NO donut holes, double o-ring sealed everywhere, good contruction - just really great "bang for the buck."

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
and so I have heard. I really like that it comes with a glass lens. I have to buy one for my M6 3W. But I really like how it throws. I would like to see them go head to head.. anyone have both?

-David

Mark2

Enlightened
I have comparison beamshots of the PM6 3W, the L2 and the E2L in my review of the L2. What comparison are you looking for? Regarding throw, the PM6 3W and the L2 are so close together, I'd say the lottery will decide which one has better throw.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
I have the PL2 and it is a FANTASTIC light. Nice tight white beam, NO donut holes, double o-ring sealed everywhere, good contruction - just really great "bang for the buck."

I believe the light has double O-rings at the normal points of entry but the bezel has two points of entry and at these points, on the Pentagon with Al head, I think you will find one O-ring next to the window and one O-ring under the bezel skirt. I did find two O-rings under the skirt of my PX1 but only one under the skirt of the L2 even though there seems to be two O-ring grooves.

It terms of water resistance, I trust the plastic windows of the PM6 as well as the PX1 over the glass window of the L2, at least in my case, since I found a couple chips in the glass window which leave divets or shallows where the O-ring seats against the glass.

Nothing beats an A/R coated glass window in terms of letting the photons out of a light but in terms of durability, a chipped or cracked glass window can allow intrusion of water into the optic and electronics under poor operating conditions with a net result of the plastic window having superiority when the chips are down. Although a plastic window is cheaper and inferrior in terms of light transmission, it does have some advantages in lights that may receive some knocks and drops while in service. :shrug: A choice of plastic over glass may not be strictly motivated in terms of cost savings by the manufacturer. A severly scratched and less than transparent plastic window with optics and electronics intact can produce a better beam than a light that has had its optics and electronics compromised due to intrusion of unwanted elements due to a breach in its window's protection. A proper and functioning window has duties to control both ingress as well as egress of particles; hopefully light out and nothing coming in. :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
good points, but the m6 3w has a nasty looking rigid ring around the corona, and it is the fault of the plastic lens. So I'll be getting a glass lens soon. Does the L2 come with a special coated lens, or just regular glass?

-david

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark2 said:
I have comparison beamshots of the PM6 3W, the L2 and the E2L in my review of the L2. What comparison are you looking for? Regarding throw, the PM6 3W and the L2 are so close together, I'd say the lottery will decide which one has better throw.

I was looking for a beamshot from long range on a white wall with the light on (it helps to see the difference better).

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant wait til flashlightreviews gets an L2.... see how the output/throw compares to the PM6 3W.

-David

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a Pentagonlight L2 today, and I will post a short review when I get it. Hopefully that will be very soon, since I'm in San Jose and it will be shipped from near San Francisco.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... this could take longer than I had thought. The expected delivery date on my shipping notice email was today, but there was no delivery. In fact, the UPS tracking still says that they've received notice to pick up the package, but nothing else. :confused: So it looks like I'll have to call Pentagon Lights tomorrow to figure out whether it ever got shipped at all.

Update: I just found out that it's on its way and scheduled to be here tomorrow. :)

Last edited: