games played as kids

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well my other post got me to think of the games we played.anyone recall games before ninetindo o we did have atari .but we prefared to play outside games like footbAll no pads a course just scatched up we also liked kick ball man we would play all day i miss them days

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to like to play "smear the *****", "butt ball", kick ball, dodge ball, greek dodge(ball), and hand ball (with a large red bouncy ball (but not the really large one)).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We played a lot of kickball as a kid as well. Also Dodgeball where we would line up against the school brick wall. Soccer too with articles of clothing or whatever we had to serve as goal posts. I remember Red Rover as well.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Baseball, with rocks, hubcaps, or whatever else we could find to use as bases.
I also played a little tennis, until I hit the ball directly on the outside of my stepmother's vagina. :sick2:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
YoYos and kites for my dad. Also maybe basketball at his school

My mom and her siblings usually help their parents with housework but they sometimes make toys out of whatever. One of the things that they played with were the metal caps from Coke bottles (The glass ones that were popular in the 50's)

You would flatten them with a hammer and drill a hole in the middle for a peice of string and try to spin them on the string.

rugup

Newly Enlightened
Surely I'm not the only one HERE that played "spotlight" as a kid. (hide & seek with a spotlight).

@ school was:

Brandings: chuck tennis balls at people trying to "brand" them, once branded their turn to try brand the next person.

Kiss and chase :)

Bull rush: run from one end of playground to other with people trying to tackle you, if tackled you become a tackler, repeat until one persons left running, they win.

Im sure you people had those, maybe under different names then here in Australia. I'm not even gunna ask how "smear the *****" was played.

We always had wars at home with neighbourhood kids. We promised not to use gun powder if they only used dog biscuits. They always went home crying after copping a marble in the head or something. Sissys.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also played Red Rover, and that game Bull Rush that somebody mentioned is almost the same as Smear The *****, except we would carry any type of ball while running (I think! It was LONG time ago!). Basically, running and tackling the runner.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kick the can

Bicycle tag

Dirt bike tag

Submarine (a swimming pool/diving board needed)

And of course all the standards, football in all weather conditions, basketball, baseball, spin the bottle, truth or dare......:p

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bi-weekly kickball game I organize in SF. It's great to drink beer in GGP and kick the ball around. We get a good group of friends together- guys and girls- and have a great time. All skill levels welcome. Sometimes we're extremely competitive (or drunk), but the whole process makes you feel like a kid again.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite game we used to play on warm summer nights as a kid will not be a lot of suprise. Flashlight Wars, we would divide the kids on the block into two even teams. We would use the front yards of the lower quarter of our block. (A long dark bushy street with large front yards and lots of pine trees.) The game was very simple. One team started on one side of the street and the other team started on the other side of the street. Once everbody was in place you could move or hide at will. The object and challenge was to illuminate AND CORRECTLY identify a member of the opposing team and then get your light off and move before any member of the opposing team could light you up.
This was the one game ALL of the kids and youth on the street got into, from me the youngest at around 8 or 9 years old to a couple of college students who were still around. When we got friends involved some nights we would have 20 or more kids and youth trudging around in the dark. Once someone was shined, that person would have to go to the street and wait for the game to end. The last team with a person not shined and properly identified won.

Two of my brother's and my favorite foul weather games were electric football and Bas-ket (a spring loaded basketball game)
Other then that if the sun was up and the weather was good we were outside.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I would play all different sports from baseball, to basketball, to football, to soccer, to street hockey to tennis and others.

Wiffle ball was always popular as well.

If not enough people were around we'd work on fielding for baseball or running patterns for football, or playing 21 in basketball. As for tennis there was times I took some balls to an old empty factory site and hit off of the walls.

In addition "d play board games of all types. My favorite was APBA baseball.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my street as a kid there were 4 of us who primarily played together. I remember "kick the can" and "it" as well as "team it" being played alot besides regular sports like street football and basketball. My dad and I built a 2 story club house in our back yard and we had a tall Oak tree with swings and a pool, so lots of time was spent there.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
During elementary school the fifth and sixth grade sections (two of each) had a serious kickball rivalry going. We'd play before class started and after lunch. In the summer we had a wiffle ball game going almost every night after dinner until dark at a school field. About the only organized sport going at that time was little league baseball. Kids football hadn't started yet, and soccer was unheard of. In fact, my only exposure to soccer as a kid was spending maybe two PE classes trying to learn the rules. This was in the Pittsburgh area, mid 50's to late 60's.

Geoff