Power Steering Fluid in Gas Tank?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I accidently put about 6 oz. of power steering fluid in 5 gallon Jerry can. I though I had the fuel additive. Does anyone know if this will cause any harm, or will it just burn off as the fuel burns?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power steering fluid and transmission fluid (some auto makers use the same fluid for each) are basically lubricating oils. Seems to me like either would just burn off in the combustion process, especially in such a small amount.

If someone who actually knows what they are talking about tells you otherwise, listen to them and not me. :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would just add more 2 cycle oil to it and use it for lawnmowers and weedeaters with 2 cycle motors instead. It could put out a fair amount of smoke out of the back of your car but if you poured about 1 gallon of it per tankful it should dilute it enough it shouldn't cause any trouble at all I figure.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo never said he was going to put it in a car. :)

True but that is usually where it goes. I fill the cans when the price of fuel drops then use it when the price goes up. I just hate to think that I wasted the money if I can't run it through the car. Doing the math this would work out to about a 1/2 oz. per gallon if I use one can and then fill the tank from the pump.

sniper

Enlightened
PS fluid is an oil, somewhat similar to what was once sold as "Upper cylinder lubricant". It will do no harm to the engine, with the exception of coating the catalytic converter pellets, which should burn off within a tankful or two. Your vehicle fuel tank is probably minimum 12 gallons, and adding 5 gallons of fuel to what is in the tank, and filling it the rest of the way with uncontaminated fuel will dilute it waaay down. A pint of kerosene every few tanks of fuel was the way a lot of people kept their engine top ends lubricated, back when smog devices were only a California thing.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I'm in New York, and if you mess up the emissions system, the car won't pass inspection. I wouldn't recommend using the mix in your car. Catalytic converters aren't cheap. And then there's the electronic fuel injectors too. Finiky, and expensive to replace. Remember how my youngest brother put an octane booster in his tank once. He ended up replacing the fuel pump and the throttle body fuel injector.

oldgrandpajack

Saaby

Flashaholic
I wouldn't worry about such a small amount just this once, but I wouldn't make a habit of it either.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Pour some in a neighbors car and see what happens (remember what happens for future reference). Oh yea, let us know what happens too. Maybe you're on to something...

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the small amount you added is insignificant.
psf is just 10w oil.
not much different than marvel mystery oil which is speced as a fuel add.
i dispose of leftover 2stroke mix by adding it to a near full tank.
and when i retire a vehicle its normally due to advanced body cancer(rust)
never had an engine blow up.and one of my cars has nearly 400k on it and still fast passes ohio echeck.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
What's an emissions test?

:p
something that is going the way of the dodo here.
it was just a scam.
likely created more pollution than it prevented from all the driving and idleing.