Questions about MJLED

rwolff

Enlightened
First of all, I've checked the B/S/T, and I didn't see a group buy on the MJLED - any idea when the next batch is due out? My MiniM@g at work blew its bulb yesterday (installed the spare), and I figured I'd go for an upgrade instead of getting a pack of direct replacements for the spare.

I'm a tool&die maker, and one application I'm looking at for the MJLED (or the LED it's cut down from) is in a die light (would need to mount it in an E5 base, but that's no problem for me). For those not in the trade, a die light is a flashlight (usually 2xAA or 2xAAA) with the (bare) bulb on the end of a long stalk (sometimes rigid, sometimes gooseneck - depends on the brand) from the battery holder. When making metal stamping dies, it's used in lining up the punch and die to get even clearance all around (2-person job - one runs the light around the edge of the punch, while the other looks from below).

Brighter is better in a die light - how bright is an MJLED compared to an incandescent rated 2.4 volts 360 mA (the one I'm using) when driven by 2 alkalines? Also, while an "intact" LED is fairly impact resistant, is the MJLED more vulnerable due to the thinner encapsulation? With manouvering a bare bulb around a hardened steel block in confined quarters, impacts are fairly common (and broken incandescents are common at the shop where I work).

Another (unrelated) application I'm looking at (also takes E5 base) is one of the emergency glass breaker/seat belt cutter/red LED blinker/incandescent flashlight combinations available for automotive use. Since this is the kind of light that's likely to be sitting in a harsh environment (cars parked outside get hot in summer and cold in winter), and a lamp that's not likely to be used until you REALLY need it, it seems to cry out for lithiums. How are MJLEDs when driven by AA lithiums? Will they survive the slightly higher voltage and lower internal resistance in direct drive, or is a resistor needed? If a resistor is needed, what value should I use?

Crossbar

Newly Enlightened
I killed two MJLEDs using E2 Lithiums in a minimag so I'd say they don't play nice together :(

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound carries the CUT version. These are the MJLED in the group buys. Wide viewing angle makes maximun use of the reflector..
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/mag_flashlight_accessories.php

The Shoppe has the UNCUT version. Most of the light is focussed by the front of the LED.
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=578

In my minimag:
The CUT version behaves much like the stock minimag bulb. Fairly bright central spot, a bit of spill light. When on wide focus a donut with a black hole in the middle.
The UNCUT version has a much more wimpy hotspot but more intense spillbeam. On wide focus there is enough spill light to make the center of the donut look grey instead of black.

Since you are not using a reflector the UNCUT version gives more light directly in front of the LED. 25 degree viewing angle.

Last edited:

Latest posts