Surefire G2 Question

FLHunter3006

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first Surefire product! a G2 Nitrolon flashlight.... (Got a feeling it won't be my last...)
Got a couple of questions: What is the average life of the Xenon lamp assembly?
I am wondering if I should buy a spare.
I have read in other posts about an older and a newer model G2. What is the difference? Mine has a twist tail cap on the back with a button that I can twist all the way in for "always on" and back for the button operation...

Thanks,
Emilio

Ps. I hope I wont have to use it for this freaking hurricane Wilma that's coming this way sometime tonight ( I'm in Miami )
huh.gif

h_nu

Enlightened
FLHunter3006, the newer G2 allows you to back off the switch enough to prevent accidental activation (lock out tailcap).

I have the old G2 and I think the old tailcap is a critical flaw that makes the flashlight unsuitable for carry and only useful when you keep it on a shelf.

Consider getting the 3W drop-in from bugoutgearusa.com. It is a very good addition to the G2.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lamp will last 15 to 25 sets of batteries (that's unless you do some serious impact damage and even then if you look at the lamp you will see the contact spring that will absorb alot of rough handling)

FLHunter3006 said:
Just got my first Surefire product! a G2 Nitrolon flashlight.... (Got a feeling it won't be my last...)
Got a couple of questions: What is the average life of the Xenon lamp assembly?
I am wondering if I should buy a spare.
I have read in other posts about an older and a newer model G2. What is the difference? Mine has a twist tail cap on the back with a button that I can twist all the way in for "always on" and back for the button operation...

Thanks,
Emilio

Ps. I hope I wont have to use it for this freaking hurricane Wilma that's coming this way sometime tonight ( I'm in Miami )
huh.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second h_nu for a bugoutgear.com 3W drop in and a SC1 spare carrier.

I gave away a G2 with 3W BOG drop in, in a SC1 with 6 cells and a P60 just in case something happens to the drop in. Not a bad set-up, just didn't have a need for it.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course you should get a spare bulb (or 3)! I would never consider not having a spare bulb for a light I planned on using with any regularity. What if the bulb goes out? Then you have to either find one in a store (good luck) or order one online and wait for it. Your light is out of action in the meantime. Why would you want that?

Geologist

Enlightened
If you just need an extra P60, then ask around here - many people have their originals that they will let go for a fair price!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Congratulations of your first SureFire purchase FLHunter30-06!

The SureFire G2 is a very purposefully built flashlight. I would—like most suggest here—go ahead and get a couple of spare LAs (lamp assembly). The P60 (stock) puts out 65+ lumens for around 60 minutes while the P61 blasts 120 lumens out the business end for roughly 20 minutes. I don't recall the life expectancy of these LAs—but I thought I read them somewhere here that it's about 50 or so hours? Someone in the know will clarify this. . .

Well, you might as well get the SC1 Spares Carrier that holds six (6) SF123s + a LA. And like Geologist stated, you more than a few CPF members will sell what you're looking for on the B/S/T at very reasonable prices.

Enjoy!

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mean life expectancy is about 25 hours on these light assemblies. On almost all SF light assemblies if I recall correctly. But you will get a few that run on and on. 25 hours doesn't seem like a lot does it? But when you consider you'll need to run a lot of batteries through it in that time and when you think about the quality and quantity of light that comes out of that thing.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for a while and now it's time to post. I too, just bought my first Surefire, a G2 (less than a week ago) and I'm very impressed with this light. It lights up the backyard like crazy ! I hope I'll get some good advice from all the pros here. I'm up here in Canada and finding good lights at the retail level is very difficult. Bass Pro Shops opened their first store up here last year and that's where I bought the G2. Definitely not the kind of lights you see at the local hardware store. Surefire's websites says they only send their catalogs to U.S. addresses only, any idea how I can get my hands on one ? I'll try calling them just to see what they say...might have to do some sweet talkin' ! My Mag charger...i hate all nicad batteries !!! The battery pack is 5 half size D cells, correct ? If so, is there such a thing as alkaline half size cells anywhere ? I can stick three D cells in there, but it's not as bright. Also, it's beamshot is irregular, tried adjusting the bulb, but no luck in getting a nice round spot on the wall. It's never been dropped. Back to SF: If the E2e has 2 batteries/60 lumens, why does the E1e have only 15 lumens with one battery ? Why not at least 30 lumens.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
pathalogical said:
Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for a while and now it's time to post. I too, just bought my first Surefire, a G2 (less than a week ago) and I'm very impressed with this light. It lights up the backyard like crazy ! I hope I'll get some good advice from all the pros here. I'm up here in Canada and finding good lights at the retail level is very difficult. Bass Pro Shops opened their first store up here last year and that's where I bought the G2. Definitely not the kind of lights you see at the local hardware store. Surefire's websites says they only send their catalogs to U.S. addresses only, any idea how I can get my hands on one ? I'll try calling them just to see what they say...might have to do some sweet talkin' ! My Mag charger...i hate all nicad batteries !!! The battery pack is 5 half size D cells, correct ? If so, is there such a thing as alkaline half size cells anywhere ? I can stick three D cells in there, but it's not as bright. Also, it's beamshot is irregular, tried adjusting the bulb, but no luck in getting a nice round spot on the wall. It's never been dropped. Back to SF: If the E2e has 2 batteries/60 lumens, why does the E1e have only 15 lumens with one battery ? Why not at least 30 lumens.

You must take in account the current draw and runtime.

i agree that a nice upgrade to the G2 would be a 3W LED drop-in. A fellow CPF member showed me a 6P with the drop-in and its impressive! Nice throw and tint! (although tint is not a gurentee)

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
A beamshaper - diffuser type - would also be a nice add-on. Allows you to use it up close where the normal beam would bounce back too much.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire makes some truely amazing products. My Surefire P60 has lasted for well over three years with mny constant use as a camper. I must have been through at least 15 pairs of batteries. i would, however look into a P61..

That little bulb has some serious throw!

-tom

Action

Enlightened
pathalogical said:
Hello All,

Their catalog is available for download on their website. Its a pretty large pdf, but its well worth the time to download.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Like others have noted, the 3W from Flavio is a nice add-on, with a incan lamp assembly and 6 123s in the spares carrier. I've added a Pila battery to my G2 + 3W for those guilt free lumens, and spent some time last week lighting up a pair of racoons fighting in a tree outside my place (they were at it from 2am to 4am!).

I like the 5W as well, nice big flood.

pathalogical, welcome to CPF, why dontcha stay awhile!
daloosh

pathalogical

Enlightened
Action said:
Their catalog is available for download on their website. Its a pretty large pdf, but its well worth the time to download.

I'm aware of their download link, but it doesn't allow you to 'right click and save'. Just got off the phone with SF and said to check an authourized dealer if they have a catalog. I prefer catalogs in my hands, not on my monitor. I found this link a few days ago. Excellent high detail pics of lights, better than any manufacturer's website 'click for larger photo'. http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR.home.htm I don't think it's the Mag reflector, it has to be the way the bulb is sitting in there.