KL3 head output?

Kershaw

Enlightened
I have recently purchased the surefire 9p and i love so far but it really eats up batteries quick. I want to purchase a led head for it and have been looking at the KL3. Will the KL3 produce more than 19 lumens on my 9p, if it cant produce 30 lumens or more can some recommend me a moderately priced alternative(less than $100). Insight appreciated!

Thanks,
Kershaw

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taken from www.flashlightreviews.com ~

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl3gen2.htm

The KL3 on the Surefire website is still listed as the 1 watt Luxeon star. That has been replaced by a 3 watt Luxeon star model using a new optic that throws a tighter beam vs. a beam with more sidespill.

Another option would be Surefire's KL5 head. At $140, it might be better just to get the flashlight ($180) and have a P60/P61 option, or P90 on RCR123's with the 9P head. But at an hour of regulation or so for 65 lumens (for 2 cells, 3 cells is more), its always a trade off. More light = less run time.

Another option is www.bugoutgear.com 's 3W or 5W drop ins are also options.

Jason

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
From www.flashlightreviews.com

LUMENS FROM OVERALL OUTPUT?:

One of the CandlePowerForums.com members - (Thanks, Beakman) - has been comparing my numbers to LUMENS from several actual tests done with an integrating sphere and has found that if you multiply the Overall Output number times a specific multiplier you get a very rough estimate of the LUMENS produced by the light. I have done further research and found that the multiplier for the numbers in the chart is 1.43. This number appears to be subject to + or - 17%. Fairly accurate for what the apparatus is, really!

So, you take the overall output of the KL3 with 3 watt LED and multiply by 1.43.

Thats ~30.75 lumens.

Kershaw

Enlightened
I don't think 30 lumens is enough for me(I am greedy with lumens). How much lumens can i get with the bug out gear drop in, and is the regulation okay on it?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you get a KL3 head i would STRONGLY consider getting a diffusion head for it...