Superbright XPR102 makes 3D Mag whiter than US or M6 (really)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Dumb as it may sound, I put a 2.4v 800ma xenon bulb (R.Shack XPR102, cat.# 272-1181)intended for 2C or 2D light into a Maglite (not MagCHARGER) 3D. The batteries were putting out 1.57V each, and yet, after about 25m steady running the bulb has not blown. Perhaps I'm just lucky. This beam is literally SNOW WHITE(without the 7 little guys), shockingly white, whiter (not brighter of course) than the Ultra Stinger or SF M6. I'm not kidding, I have all three lights. In fact, this is the whitest light I've ever seen ). Now, if the Maglite only had a decent reflector... (and I'd make you all apple pie, if I had some apples)

recercare

Enlightened
Amazing! I bet the voltage will drop pretty fast on 0.8A, so the bulb-abuse
smile.gif
will not last that long. People are too concerned about blowing the bulb. Well, if the drain is low or you're using NiHM, then overvolting is more dangerous. I think i'll go for a (4.8/1.1A) in my DB 8AA. Initially the bulb will then be overrated (6V), and again underrated as the voltage will drop to 3.2V after 1-1.5 hour. The bulb's overall life will of that reason remain the same (20h)

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
speaking of bulb abuse in the name of science
smile.gif

i put one of those [email protected] bulbs in a 3 cell mx-994/u military light with 3 5ah nicads fresh from the solar charger.bright as hell for about an hour till it went out.hey when ya have over a hundred why not experiment?
flame suit on!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Koga,

Do you actually use the 3D with this bulb in "real life"? Do you prefer the Legend 3D to the Mag? (I thought you carried a Magcharger)

I love the amount of light, but knowing it could easily blow at an inconvenient moment makes me a little cautious about using it, even though it would be "backed up"

Best regards,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
recercare
Flashaholic
Member # 664
posted 12-21-2001 01:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazing! I bet the voltage will drop pretty fast on 0.8A, so the bulb-abuse will not last that long. People are too concerned about blowing the bulb. Well, if the drain is low or you're using NiHM, then overvolting is more dangerous. I think i'll go for a (4.8/1.1A) in my DB 8AA. Initially the bulb will then be overrated (6V), and again underrated as the voltage will drop to 3.2V after 1-1.5 hour. The bulb's overall life will of that reason remain the same (20h)

It blew after 35 min!